They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

lines in video

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

lines in video

Postby moviemaker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:14 am

i have video footage i capture with my hv30 in hd, imported into pe4 via firewire into a standard project, i did not down convert in the camera, so it is hd footage in a standard project, it is all of my son's baseball games, so i made a highlight reel, therefore i have slowed down alot the footage using time stretch, looks fine in computer as an avi and wmv files, but i burned to a dvd and now the movie has lots of lines and is blurry, the slower the movie clip, the more lines i see, so any ideas to minimize lines or let me know how to aviod the lines by doing something different. i am planning on showing the dvd at the team party today, later this evening, so any thoughts let me know.

thanks
moviemaker

Re: lines in video

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:25 am

Starting at the top, you say it is a "standard" project. If you are taking HD from your camcorder, you should bring it into an HD project. From there you can output a DVD or other lower resolution formats. That is what I do.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 am

I agree with Bob. If you bring MPEG footage into a standard project, you'll have an interlacing problem -- which sounds like exactly what you're seeing.

I'd recommend:

1) Either using that footage in an HDV project and doing a downsample from within Premiere Elements; or, better

2) Downsampling your video (using the DV Lock feature) from your camcorder so that it comes in as standard DV and using that as your source footage in a standard DV project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby moviemaker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:49 am

anyway to do a quick fix today?
moviemaker

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:48 am

moviemaker wrote:anyway to do a quick fix today?

Ouch. Well, if it looks good as an AVI, export the entire project as an AVI, read it back into a new standard project and see what it looks like.

Use File / Export / Movie and make sure you go to the Settings page and set Range to Entire Timeline.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 am

I don't know if that's going to fix the interlacing problem.

About the best you can do is right-click on every time on the timeline and select Field Options/Reverse Field Order.

Depending on how many individual clips you're dealing with, that could be a lot of right-clicking.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 am

Perhaps I misinterpreted, but he did say in the original post that it "looked fine as an AVI" hence my response to try exporting that. Moviemaker, what did you mean by that?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby moviemaker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:58 am

well it looked better as an avi, i often export as avi to check out transitions and stuff, i do see some lines in the avi file, but alot more noticeable on tv, i am going to try this, tell me it is worth it, take the orinigal standard project with my mpeg clips, remove all the time stretching, then export that as an avi and bring it back into the project, and replace the mpeg clips with the avi clips and then timestretch that, i might try steve suggestion first about the reverse field dominance, thanks for all your help, it is my first project using hv30 footage, and i thought it would be better do it standard since other parents may want it and not sure if they all have hd tv, ect..., but i have learned alot thanks!!!

jennifer
moviemaker

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Jennifer!

I also have an HV30 and decided to download everything in HD from now on and downconvert later if necessary. This make a better workflow as you can then come back later and edit the project or create new projects, but you still have the best input (i.e. HD).

I would bring the AVI into a new project, rather than use the old one. Then re-stretch as needed.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Bobby wrote:Hi Jennifer!

I also have an HV30 and decided to download everything in HD from now on and downconvert later if necessary. This make a better workflow as you can then come back later and edit the project or create new projects, but you still have the best input (i.e. HD).

Have you decided this recently, Bobby?
I seem to remember you saying that your workflow was to downconvert from the camera.
Peru

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi Peru. Yes, you've got me! I did some analysis both ways (very informal) and decided that I didn't see much difference wherever I downconverted it. But I decided that having the best quality (at least best resolution) files stored on my hard drive was the way to go so I switched in mid-stream.

Also aiding in that decision was that with the video editing PC I got last year that there wasn't much performance penalty editing HD vs. SD.

I didn't know I had that much of a following! I am used to that here on the local political scene (I am a Town Councilman) and ANYthing you say comes back to you if somebody doesn't like it!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby moviemaker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:53 am

thanks for all your help, i ended up bringing in the avi file into a hd project, clicked reverse field dom and deinterlace and then saved as another avi, and brought it back into a hd project and it worked, not 100 % hd quality, but it the lines and blurriness were gone, and i was able to show it at the baseball party yesterday night! a few parents want some copies, so i am debating of whether i should redo the project in hd, just start over or not to. i know it would look better if i redo it in hd, also is it better to change all mpeg hd footage captured from my hv30 into avi before time stretching?

thanks again for your help, you helped save the day yesterday! and my santity, since i spent a couple of weeks scrubbing footage and throwing it all together.
moviemaker

Postby Bobby » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:09 am

Glad to help :yh:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions