They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Running Out of Memory

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Running Out of Memory

Postby Robino » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 am

I am so frustrated, I am editing HD video and only want 10 minutes when it is all said and done. I keep getting all kinds or error messages, one saying I am out of memory. So I close down and open up the project and get some more work done, then I try rendering and get a Microsoft error, it shuts me down and I come back in and I am able to render. All these errors are taking me forever to complete this video, and I can't tell you how frustrating it is. When I captured the video (through PE4) I saved sections in Mpeg2 HD and now when I bring each clip into the project to select sections out of it, whew, this is when all heck breaks loose. I wish I would have never bought my Canon HDV 30, I am not loving it even the video is supurb. Any suggestions with this memory problem?
Robino
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Running Out of Memory

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 14, 2009 7:17 am

Can you tell us more about your system, Robino? What operating system are you using, how fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free space is left on your hard drive?

The Canon HV30's HDV files generally work very well with Premiere Elements. Are you sure your project is using the HDV project settings?

And are you seeing a red and/or green line above your video clips on your timeline? When using HDV footage in an HDV project, you should see no lines at all above your video clips on the timeline.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Robino » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 am

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I capture sections and then save as mpeg, avi, wmv, and bring these mini movies back into PE4 to edit, makes it more manageable. I will get back to your other questions, but I am not a my computer right now.
Robino
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am

MPEGs, AVIs and WMVs?

Believe it or not, Robin, the most efficient way to edit HDV is in its native MPEG, using the HDV project setting. As I said, the big indicator that you're using the most efficient method is that there will be no red or green lines above your clips on the timeline (unless you've added effects or titles).
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 pm

I think maybe we need to help you with your workflow here.
Can you tell us about the project, how long it is and why you are cutting it into mini projects?
Maybe we can give you some pointers on how to work efficiently with HDV footage and projects.
I know there are plenty of people here that are editing HDV and not exporting their footage that way.

Are you capturing with Premiere Elements or HDVSplit?

You can start as many projects as you want to and import the captured clips into each project.
Or you can simply do a 'Save As' and delete the footage that you don't need in the new project.
Lots of ways to handle this ;)

Also Robin, we really would like to know what your computer specs are. Working with HDV takes a bit of horsepower.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Robino » Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Chuck and Steve, I can't wait to get home and give you all that information regarding the specs of my computer. My project was my vacation of about 95 minutes total -- so I want to take out all the testimonials I took and and make about a 10 minute video. Then I want to maybe take all the beach scenes and more vacation parts and make a different video. I definitely am fumbling my way through all of this and it sounds like I have created a lot more work than necessary. I did use the Capture and not the HDV split (don't know what that is). I am really grateful for all the feedback, by this evening I should have more informatoin regarding my specs, but I have an Applie IMac 500 G, that I divided into about 395 my PC side using Bootcamp, and the remainder is on the Mac side. It is a pretty powerful computer, but specifics are not at my finger tips at the moment -- when I get home from work I will check.
Robino
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris B » Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 pm

HDVSplit is a program downloaded from here

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

That splits the captured files by the date encoded in them. This will usually split the video into the scenes you created by starting and stopping the camera - making it easier to edit.

In short - it's a great tool that makes the editing a lot easier.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 14, 2009 4:54 pm

If you've got a recent iMac with a 500 gig hard drive, you've likely got a very powerful dual-core processor and plenty of RAM.

But I've expressed concerns about using a Boot Camp computer running Windows for high-end processes in other posts. You were wise to partition so much of the hard drive for Windows operations, and that may work.

Let us know which Windows OS you're using though.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Robino » Thu May 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Steve - I have XP and I am now on my computer and I have 180 GB Free Space and 178 used. What else do you want me to look at -- I got the MAC last August after my computer crashed and I was right in the middle of a project on PC and did have time to teach myself MAC, but my New Years resolution was to learn MAC, but like all New Year's resolutions, that never happedned, because I keep learning things on PC or all my software is PC.
Robino
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Robino » Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Chris B wrote:HDVSplit is a program downloaded from here

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

That splits the captured files by the date encoded in them. This will usually split the video into the scenes you created by starting and stopping the camera - making it easier to edit.

In short - it's a great tool that makes the editing a lot easier.

Where do I save this? in my programs and how do I use this?
Robino
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Prior Versions