They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

[frustration] stuff rendering outside the frame

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

[frustration] stuff rendering outside the frame

Postby tiny » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:45 pm

So I swear I've never had this problem before, but as I've done some test renders for the film I'm working on for the competition, I've hit this annoying issue. Right now I'm rendering my video which is 720x480 native out at its native resolution. I have effects that extend outside the frame, which shouldn't be an issue, as I'm rendering everything at 16:9 720x480, but in the end what I'm getting is something that is 4:3 and therefore showing black bars and all the stuff outside the frame. Any suggestions?
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: [frustration] stuff rendering outside the frame

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Are you saying that your source video is widescreen but it's showing up at 4:3?

I'm not sure what you mean by showing "all the stuff outside the frame" or "I have effects that extend outside the frame, which shouldn't be an issue".
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:51 pm

I agree with Steve, it's hard to understand exactly what's going on Tiny.
Can you give a little more detail as to the source clips and the effects you are using?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:27 pm

It's confusing to explain. I ultimatly rendered it to a DVD and then ripped the video from the DVD to get the video to do what I wanted it to do.

In essence: My project was set at 720x480. Some items (transistions, titles, etc) rendering outside the top and bottom of the frame. So when I export the film in 720x480, the frame would grow vertically during those portions, say 720x600 and then shrink back down to the native 720x480. Needless to say I've never had this happen.

Since the ultimate destination would be a 640x480 frame with bars, I couldn't have this happen as it would be distracting. Finally exporting as a DVD did the trick.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 am

So you're saying you found a solution?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:39 am

I'm really sorry but I am very confused. But if you found a solution that's great.
I wish that it was easier to explain, sounds like a lot of hassle. I'm not sure when you would want to go to DVD just to import the video back again.
You would lose quality and not really gain anything that I could see. Exporting to AVI, File/Export/Movie, would get you the same thing with better quality and you could import that into any project even easier than a DVD. Sorry, I just don't understand what's going on or what you are trying to do Tiny :-k
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeah, my solution was less than ideal.

hehe, I don't really know how else to explain it. One last try. :oops: My project was 16:9 native, what I was rendering it at was also 16:9. So now you would expect Premier Elements to only render what is within that 16:9 window, but what I was getting was stuff that was rendering outside that 16:9 window. So lets say I have this massive white 4:3 square that is so large that it fills my entire 16:9 window, but as a result that square protrudes out of the frame vertically, since it is, to be the same width as the 16:9 window, much taller since it is 4:3. However I don't worry about is, because the only area that will be rendered and shown in the final project is within that 16:9 window, everything outside of it (the rest of the square) will never be seen, except for in this instance, PE was rendering everything outside the window, so when I would export the film, it would appear to be 16:9 and then suddenly grow vertically to fit anything that might be temporarily out of the 16:9 window (that 4:3 square), so thusly my 16:9 window would become a 4:3 window.

Like I said, this has never happened before. Imagine your titles that are coming from off screen, in this instance, wherever they first are birthed, the frame will grow large enough to show them, instead of maintaining its size and allowing the titles to fly into frame. Maybe it was just a glitch. :???:
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 pm

I think part of your problem is that you are not thinking of computer viewing vs. DVD/TV viewing.

The safe margins are for TV, nothing outside of the safe margins will show up on a TV screen.
Not true on a computer screen however. You will see everything in the entire monitor window when you view the video on a computer.
That's just the difference between the two. So if it is for computer or web viewing you will want to make sure that nothing is showing outside of the safe margins, or that you have everything filling the entire monitor window.

Does that help at all?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Yeah, that may be the case. I'm surprised this is the first time I've hit this problem.

Thanks for all the help.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Prior Versions