They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sound cuts in and out?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Sound cuts in and out?

Postby Briantho » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:42 am

Frequently, after a bit of editing, I start reviewing and the sound cuts in and out. After a few seconds it tends to stabilize. Is there a workaround?

I usually have two or more video tracks at a time but only one audio track.

I searched in the Premiere Elements User-to-user forum for 'sound' but, surprisingly, nothing came up - perhaps I have problems there as well? I do seem to remember reading something about this, though, when I first started using PE3 some months ago. Apart from this niggling thing I'm much enjoying the product - especially after several years of battling with Pinnacle.

Thanks in advance!

v3.0.2, 1gb RAM, XP Home SP2, lots of defragged space :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:46 am

I haven't heard that issue before. Is it just in playback from the timeline?... or is it also in the exported project? And is it always the same section of audio that gives the problem?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:35 am

Hi Paul,

It only occurs within the timeline.

I have no problems on any DVD playback nor with any of the many interim AVI files I export and bring back into projects as required.

It occurs within seconds of a review starting ie, me hitting the space bar. As I mentioned earlier, the sound cuts out for a second or two, back in for a few more seconds and then settles down. It is not in the same place, as such, otherwise I think I'd be able to handle it ;-)

So, if you've not heard about it then I suppose that's it :-(

Thanks anyway.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:31 am

Maybe some of the other folks have seen the issue. I assume you have rendered the timeline. What are your source files by the way? And what is your processor?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 am

Ah! Rendering.. No, I must admit I don't do that much. That's probably it, eh? I suppose I'll have to get into the habit of making that extra step before I review. The problem is that I want instant gratification!! Anyway, if it's not that then I'll be back :-)

The video is all DV/AVI straight out of the camcorder and the processor (on the machine I'm using now) is a Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.20 GHz

Thanks for the idea!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 am

Yep, hit the Enter key and see what happens. I know what you mean about having to wait... :lol:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:14 am

I have run into this for two reasons, as Paul says above not Rendering can cause audio drop outs, and also the Smooth Scrolling Timeline, in version 2 primarily. If you don't have smooth scrolling turned off it can effect the audio and video.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:...Smooth Scrolling Timeline...

Ah - I'll give that a good try! Rendering has not fixed it so I'll certainly stop the smooth scrolling. I'll let you know how I get on but right now, over here, it's mealtime! :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Food is much more important, especially the older I get.

Are you using track 1 for anything?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:20 pm

As it turned out food wasn't quite ready so I went for a run instead and now I'm back in front of the machine listening to happy kitchen noises :-)

Anyway, no, I'm avoiding track 1 like the plague which, of course, makes pasting easy 'cause Ctrl-V never disturbs any carefully positioned material.

I'll try your suggestion a bit later (I'm burning an interim DVD of the current project on the other machine at the moment) and if that doesn't help then I shall disconnect the machine involved from the web, clean boot, stop the virus scanner and firewall (AVG and ZoneAlarm), run EnditAll and try again - sounds like a plan?
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Yup, sounds like a plan. I run v3 with a similar machine. No project usually exceeds 30 minutes, less if I can. I work on projects in small pieces.

With these smaller projects I don't have to turn off anything; AVG anti-virus and not much else going on in the background anyway.

I did have to turn off smooth scrolling in version 2 but not version 3.

The larger the project the more horsepower you need to run a smooth preview with audio and video. If you can keep the project in small pieces and put it together at the end, there usually aren't any problems.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:22 am

Well, "Page Scroll" seems to have done it! Only one short 'cut-out' this morning and at the time I was still using the > 1 hour project with several instances of IE open as well as ZoneAlarm and AVG. I can live with that :-)

As for breaking things up that's certainly something I was forced to do with Pinnacle Studio 9+ due to massive instability. Some projects really lend themselves to chopping up and it can often speed up chapter creation if the individual AVI files are worked on with that in mind.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:40 am

See page 18 of the FAQs http://muvipix.com/faq.php?preview=faq&width=100%&height=100%

How to work on a large project in small pieces. It really makes life a whole lot easier for me.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I had the same problem

Postby Maxine370 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:54 am

I've had that same problem...tends to occur with bigger projects especially when I have multiple audio tracks. Never found out how to fix it but it hasn't been plauguing me lately.

Only cuts in and out when playng in timeline..not in outputed files. Even when rendered it happens. SOmeone suggested clearing more memory but that didn't do it.

:???:
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions