They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Some Great Tips from Cheryl

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Some Great Tips from Cheryl

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Here are some great tips and tricks from one of our moderators, Cheryl (Momoffduty)
Thanks for putting this together for us Cheryl =D>

Premiere Elements Shortcuts & Etc. Version 3

Monitor Magnification
With the monitor preview window set to 25% or 50% it is easier to use the motion paths when moving objects off screen. If it is at 100% or Fit, you can drag the image off, but can’t select it to move back on screen.

Safe Margins
Use the safe margins to line up pics or video for split screen or grid effect. Can then go to property numbers to fine tune.

Titles
1. Shift & drag to draw straight line.
2. Alt & New style to change style (gradient, stroke, etc) but keep the font. Works on objects too.
3. Right click on objects to bring to front, etc.
4. Alt & click w/arrow key selected to duplicate an object.

Keyframing
With motion highlighted in properties panel, use the handlebars to change the motion path to a gentle arch.

On YouTube, Wackytrixxie has 3 excellent keyframing tutorials for Pro:
1. Keyframe Fundamentals
2. Advance Keyframe Editing
3. Motion paths in PrPro 2.0

I never fully understood keyframing until I watched these 3 tutorials. I did have the basics, but these explained it in a way that I really understood. Think this type of tutorial explanation would be good for PrEl users.

In Pro the velocity graph is a very useful tool. When making a slideshow with lots of pans or zooms, the graph helps to keep things moving at the same pace for a good flow. In PrEl, I just guessed to what looked good to me. A Tip for PrEl would be to keep the rate of zoom and amount of time for the zoom consistent. Maybe showing how closer the keyframes the faster the transition, etc. Think in one of your tutorials this is mentioned, but it would be a good Tidbit Tip on having a good flow to a slideshow.

Trackmatte
I had a difficult time grasping this due to the way this is set up. Always had to refer to the Snap book each time I used this. I now remind myself of this rule: The video & track matte is always below the shape. The track matte always has to point up to a higher track.

Jeff Schell has some wonderful tutorials listed on Wiki Pro. He is Adobe certified.
Misc.

Alt & { and Alt } to set work area bar.

Control Z = undo

Space Bar to start and stop play

Page Up & Down to last edits

J = reverse play
L= forward play
K= stop
Hit the above more than once to speed up.

Hold shift key while dragging numbers in property panel to go faster.

Double click in open space of Media Panel for “add media” pop up.

Right click on left side of tracks for the “add tracks” pop up.

Double click on clip or pic in timeline to pop up the preview monitor. Can set new in and out points and the clip changes in the timeline.

Instead of fading out several tracks at once, fade in black video. Timesaver if you have multiple tracks of graphics or grid style pics. Easier to adjust the timing since you are only working with one set of keyframes for the fade.

Use a single sided cross dissolve to fade out or fade in a clip. Less to render than using the fade options in the property panel.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Some Great Tips from Cheryl

Postby Paul LS » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:01 pm

Yes thanks Cheryl, some good tips and shortcuts.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:24 pm

Monitor Magnification
With the monitor preview window set to 25% or 50% it is easier to use the motion paths when moving objects off screen. If it is at 100% or Fit, you can drag the image off, but can’t select it to move back on screen.

Nice tip! Did not know that! Cool! :cool:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:16 pm

Great tips, Cheryl.
I saw a few I didn't know. Thanks!
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member