They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE4: Memory Problem

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE4: Memory Problem

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:21 am

When I try to Export Movie, after a rendering for say about 80% (ie frame 3000+ of 4760), it says "Export Error, Unable to compile Movie, Not enough Memory". Then I check my system, my HDD it still has 275GB of free space. My computer has a 256MB dedicated video RAM. The slide show that I am doing is only 2 mins 50 secs long and they are all still pictures (ie no video). So how come PE4 cannot handle this ?

Since I upgrade my PC to 3GB RAM and a 256MB dedicated Nvidia Geforce video graphics card and 500GB HDD, I never had any problem with memory when I use WMM or SV. I still have 275GB of HDD space left.

I have been using Sony Vegas and Movie Maker to edit much longer videos combined with lots more photos going into 45 minutes range and my PC can handle fine. I am puzzled why PE4 says I don't have enough memory when the photos I assembled is only about 2 mins 50 seconds, which is less than 3 minutes.

I suspect there must be some settings in the PE4 that instructs the rendering in PE4 to stop when it reach certain limit. Is there one ?

With this problem, I just turned it off and went to sleep. The next day, when I restart, PE4 can render the same file without any problem. How come ? I did not do anything to it !!

But now it happened again. Is there a way to clear the memory in the RAM ?

I am worried because if I were to assemble a many pictures & video, after all the time taken, I would be damned if it fails on me due to memory.

Another funny thing which I think is related to the memory problem that I cannot understand is this:

I name my project file as testing.prel. Then when I export it, I name the file as testing.avi. The seond time when I render it again, I cannot export it as testing.avi because there is no option like "Would you like to overwrite the file ?". So I export it as testing2.avi. Sinve testing2.avi is the later version than testing.avi, I delete testing.avi.

After that when I try to open project file testing.prel, it ask me "Where is file testing.avi located ?" I mean I am opening a .prel file but why does PE4 ask me about the location of .avi file ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: PE4: Memory Problem

Postby Paul LS » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 am

Whar resolution are your photos? PE4 will stumble if large resolution photos are used. Best bet is to resize them to 1000x750 before bringing them into PE4. This is sufficient to allow for panning and scanning the photo.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rfjg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 am

ryan_khoo wrote:Another funny thing which I think is related to the memory problem that I cannot understand is this:

I name my project file as testing.prel. Then when I export it, I name the file as testing.avi. The seond time when I render it again, I cannot export it as testing.avi because there is no option like "Would you like to overwrite the file ?". So I export it as testing2.avi. Sinve testing2.avi is the later version than testing.avi, I delete testing.avi.

After that when I try to open project file testing.prel, it ask me "Where is file testing.avi located ?" I mean I am opening a .prel file but why does PE4 ask me about the location of .avi file ?

Uncheck the "Add to Project When Finished" box, so that the exported file is not added to your project. When you first exported testing.avi, it added it to your project. Then you deleted it, so when you re-opened the project file PE4 could not find the testing.avi file. Thats why you got "Where is file testing.avi located ?" message.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 am

Ryan,

One thing that I'd look into would be other applications/processes running in the background.

Your statement about not being able to compile your Project late in the day, to then have it work fine on a re-boot, but then throw the same error later in the day, indicates that memory is being used elsewhere. I've not seen any posts on memory leaks in PE, though I guess we can't totally rule that out. However, many processes can leak memory (allocate it, but not release it, and then allocate more). I find it very useful, when doing editing to eliminate all background programs and stop all unnecessary processes. These two things are similar, though different.

For the background programs, I usually Exit from them via the Task Tray. These are my AV, Spyware and Pop-up blockers, plus any other programs that load, but are not being used. Via MSConfig, one can stop these from loading, but in the case of my programs, I want them, but just not now.

Now, for unnecessary processes, I use a little freeware program, EndItAll2. Upon installation, it goes through the running processes and flags the ones that it thinks are unnecessary. It is really pretty good with its survey. Then when I'm about to start editing, I use it to End these processes. You can tweak the processes that it will end and can "lock" ones that you really might need, if you notice something not working as it should. It does a list of all running processes so you can edit its survey as you need. Also, some processes will tell EndItAll2 that they ARE necessary. Some lie to it, like AV, Spyware and Pop-up blockers. That's why I Exit from all of these first. Actually, they are just protecting the system, as many Trojans, etc. will first try to kill these. They resist very well, so I manually end them first.

You can usually free up a bunch of RAM, when you end the unnecessary processes, and you'll keep them from using more.

There are also other process enders, but I only use EndItAll2, so I do not know how well the others work, or don't work. NOTE: if you do use EndItAll2, when you go to eliminate the running processes, do NOT choose "KILL," as your machine will likely become unstable and need to be re-booted.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 am

rfjg wrote:
Uncheck the "Add to Project When Finished" box, so that the exported file is not added to your project. When you first exported testing.avi, it added it to your project. Then you deleted it, so when you re-opened the project file PE4 could not find the testing.avi file. Thats why you got "Where is file testing.avi located ?" message.

Hi rfjg,

How do you get the "Export Movie Settings" Window ? Thanks

Hi Paul,

My pictures resolution are in 990 x 560. So should be okay, right ? I used the same photos in SV and don't have the memory problem.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Somehow, I suspect the RAM is being consumed by the PE4 software itself and not by the computer system. I say this because I used the same set of photos in SV and I do not encounter any memory problem.

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:59 am

1. File/Export/Movie then click on the Advanced button (don't have the program in front of me so it might be called Settings also).

2. Those image sizes should be fine, they can even be a little larger without any trouble.

3. Premiere Elements will, at times, eat up some RAM and not give it back.
If you are working on a project for a long time and making lots of edits, changes, adding transitions, effects, ...
it is a good idea to restart the computer every hour or so, the more intense the project and changes the more frequent a restart will help.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rfjg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Short cut, Ctrl-M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Vera S » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:14 pm

I use "TuneUp Utilities 2008" to free up RAM. One tool is "Memory Optimizer" which works very well.
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:04 pm

Vera Haase wrote:I use "TuneUp Utilities 2008" to free up RAM. One tool is "Memory Optimizer" which works very well.

We must install all these programs ?

Isn't there a program within Vista that has a program to free up the RAM ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:06 pm

rfjg wrote:Short cut, Ctrl-M

Thanks rfjg for the attaching the picture. It works & solved the problem

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:22 pm

"If you are working on a project for a long time and making lots of edits, changes, adding transitions, effects, ...
it is a good idea to restart the computer every hour or so, the more intense the project and changes the more frequent a restart will help."

Chuck, that's a good idea for the editor, as well as the computer. Now, I do fudge on the "one hour" bit, but try to stick my head outside, or take a walk, or feed the dogs or maybe make a pot of coffee. I'll do a re-boot so my machine is as refreshed, as I am.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi Hunt,
The timeframe just depends on what you are doing. If I have been adding lots of transitions and working with a lot of titles I will restart more often.
Maybe every hour is a little too frequent, but it sure can't hurt either.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Hunt,
The timeframe just depends on what you are doing. If I have been adding lots of transitions and working with a lot of titles I will restart more often.
Maybe every hour is a little too frequent, but it sure can't hurt either.

That sure sounds like a memory leak to me.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:53 pm

What happens to me, after too many hours of editing is that I get a memory leak - in my head. Since I suffer from "tunnelvision," and will often find that I miss lunch, and often dinner, just because I'm in the "zone." Then, all of a sudden, my mind just flat goes. I can't remember if I have recently hit Ctrl-s, or even which Sequence I'm working in. That is when I know that I, and the computer, need a re-boot.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:38 am

I was going to ask the same thing-I just purchased a new 1TB external hard drive thinking that I was out of memory........

then I STILL got the

Error Compiling Movie
Disc Full

message - am I upset right now - yes a little

but I am going to turn the computer off for the night and see what happens in the morn.................
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions