They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

offline media - help!

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: offline media - help!

Postby edargie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks, Chuck.
edargie
New User
New User

Postby UKPal » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:43 am

Crikey! After all the editing I have done in PreEl4, I have suddenly come across this issue and thank goodness that muvipix had a fix/workaround.

I am not using the narration track and my issue occurs with clips on tracks 2 and 3, whereby despite the media showing in the project panel, the red missing media panel shows instead.

Selecting all my problem clips in one go, and then disabling and re-enabling them (as suggested) solves the issue and is quick. Re-openingthe project means I have to do it again though but at least it's a workaround.

I'll be interested to see if this is fixed in PreEl7.

Meanhwile thanks to the trailblazers who figured it out here first ;-)
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Well, folks, the problem is real - it just happened to me.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with titles. I was in the middle of the first pass of clip cuts and transitions - no titles or menus yet - and had just finished work somewhere in the middle (of the timeline) last night and went to bed. When I opened the file this morning, all media off-line.

The "fix" is fairly obvious and worked fine. But why?

I versionize my .prel files (a habit left over from my Pinnacle days) and was working on V5. I went back and opened V4 and it was OK! This precludes anything having to do with the files or file structure as that did not change between versions. But the odd question is: if PE4 couldn't find the files, why didn't it just ask as usual, as is done during the fix. By saying the files were off-line, it seems to mean that it knows the files ARE THERE but doesn't like them or can't open them for some reason. When the files become NOT THERE (by dint of having been moved somewhere else), then it opens up the Open dialog as usual and everything is fine.

So PE knows the files are there, just can't work with them.

Any ideas?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Guys, need some help here!

It happened again, same project. Investigating a little more, the clips will play correctly in the monitor, and if I attempt to Play the timeline I do get the sound - just all the video is the Media Offline red screen.

But not all the clips. I have a background clip on Track 1 and it is OK - the other video clips are on track 2. Also, the background clip IS in a different folder.

This is getting annoying...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Aha - another clue.

I highlighted all the Track 2 clips and just moved them to track 3 - voila - everything now OK. Moved them back to track 2, and all still OK. VERY strange...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 am

Bump - hey guys I could use some help here ](*,) :!: :!:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:52 am

Bob, when this starts happening there is nothing you can do but use the workaround again.
I don't think anyone has found a reason or a permanent fix for the problem. It doesn't happen to every project, seems to happen to projects with a narration track more than others. As long as the fix is working you are in good shape :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Well, yeah, but it's annoying! My fix is easier (highlight all, shift to upper track, shift back) but I have to do that every time I open the project. It sure would be nice if we could get these bugs fixed...

Hey, do you think it's fixed in 7 ???
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:29 pm

I did not hear of one report from anyone that said this was happening in version 7.
It never happened to me in 7, when it has happened in version 4 I just start a new project and start over.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby chooks » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:43 am

I have just had this happen to me also. Luckily it is only one background.mov file in a large project I am working on atm. I did have a title above it in track 3 and nothing in track 2.
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:59 pm

bobby - thanks for posting your problem - I JUST had this same exact problem occur - luckily by reading your posts - I was able to recover - lets hope it stays OK!
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks coolstuff - but that was an older post. The recommended technique now is to highlight all, right click and select Disable, then right click again and Enable - no need to move.

Glad it helped.

Edit: Oh, and it is NOT fixed in 7...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Prior Versions