They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

WinDV and Vista?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: WinDV and Vista?

Postby spressman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:48 pm

As far as I can tell, Chuck, the individual scene files don't actually exist anywhere other than in WMM itself. The folder I created for the video capture contains only the large, uncut file reflecting the total capture. I guess my option is to export individual clips from WMM to PE4, though I was hoping to avoid having to do that. Oh well.
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:50 pm

You can scene detect by content once you get it into Premiere Elements, that is one option worth a try.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby spressman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm

I'll try that as well.

Strangely, WinDV is also now capturing just fine (with firewire, of course!). But the scene detection, which always worked like a charm before, has also stopped working for me. Also, WinDV is no longer automatically starting my camcorder when I hit the "capture" button. Instead, I have to manually hit play on the camcorder to begin the capture. Weird stuff, indeed.
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 pm

WinDV works fine on my Vista system.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:41 pm

I did some reading on videohelp forums, and it seems like anybody seeing a problem with WinDV and Vista were using Vista 64 and very possibly seeing port driver problems rather than WinDV problems. Those running Vista 32 all seemed to be OK.

Good news, as I really depend on it now! As soon as my new Vista machine comes in, that will be one of the first things checked.

Bob-in-NC
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Don Whitten » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 pm

I use WinDV all the time on my laptop with Vista Business installed. The 32 bit software. The only problem I ran into with Vista was pringting over my network. It was soooo slowwww. I found that by mapping the printers as a local printer but still on my n etwork it speeded everything up the printing alot.
Thats about the only problem I ran into so far and have been using it for over a year now. But as with everyting I say that now and something will happen soon to bug me and make me scour the net for an answer.
Don

Asus Laptop F3jp T7200, 160 gig 7200 rpm HD, 2 gig ram, ATI X1700 graphics and various other stuff
Don Whitten
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 am

Don Whitten wrote:...I found that by mapping the printers as a local printer but still on my n etwork it speeded everything up the printing alot...

Could you elaborate on that Don? Usually a printer is local to your PC, or a shared resource on the network owned by another PC, run via a print server using the print server provided port, or just directly as an IP addressed port. Which configuration was causing you trouble and how did you get around it?

Bob-in-NC
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ed » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm

I've been using winDV to capture video on my laptop that has Vista Home edition with no problems.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:51 am

Bob,

Not sure if it is germane to this situation, but I know that PS has many problems with a network printer is set as the system default. This manifests itself with program hangs (not permanent, but lengthy) when loading images, and even working with them. The "trick" is establish a "dummy" printer as the system default, and leave all networked printers in the list. I have a local copy of Acrobat Printer set as my default on all systems. I have never heard of a similar situation with an NLE, but if PS chokes, then maybe similar code in Premiere could have problems. I also have seen that with PS and Premiere, things “networked,” just seem to make the programs uncomfortable. Though I have everything networked here, I try and keep my main Adobe programs clear of the network. Local seems to make Adobe much happier.

Now, since “printing” is not really something that one does much of in Premiere, I wonder about why it would care what printer was set as default, but stranger things have happened - think about the MS InteliPoint mouse driver and the problems that it causes with Adobe’s GUI’s.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:11 pm

I have started to use my new PC in "production" now. I am happy to report that WinDV seems to run fine under Vista Home Premium. The only issue is one of those dumb Vista startup messages saying that the software is not from a known source. I can't seem to get rid of that, but no biggie.

It is also really nice to have a second system. Right now, I have the video coming in on the new PC while I browse here on the old one. The Belkin KVM switch seems to working fine, albeit with a bit of delay when switching. Fortunately I don't do that often.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Prior Versions