They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Possibly OT, but a Track Matte conundrum!

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Possibly OT, but a Track Matte conundrum!

Postby William Tranter » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:34 am

I have been using a Track Matte recently, following Chuck and Steve's advice on producing the matte itself in Photoshop Elements (I have v.3).
I can make square, rectangular, round or oval mattes with no problems whatever, importing them into PrEl as PSD files.
However, I would like to make mattes which are irregular in shape (like a matte shaped as a simple house!). I have used the 'Selection Brush Tool', with width set to 0 (zero) pixels, thinking that the tool would then 'cut out' the shape from the black background. So I tried widening the tool to 10 pixels or so, but the selection brush goes transparent, not the interior of the closed shape. I have to use a 'Brush' tool to paint transparency into the shape before exporting it to PrEl.
Am I doing something wrong? I get very, very confused with Photoshop Elements, despite having several books on the program.
I understand layers very well, but copying between layers never seems to work. If somebody could explain what to do in a simple, one step by one step manner, I would be very appreciative!
Many thanks,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Bill,
There is a simple method to cut out the shape then select the shape and delete it and then invert the layers and delete the background layer or something like that.

Steve is really good at this and I am sure he can give you instructions when he returns from Florida. And there is probably someone else that knows the instructions also and will stop by and give you a hand.

Everytime I want to do what you are trying to do I have to call Steve and have him remind me how to do it :oops:

By the way, there is a tutorial on this, The Brady Bunch Intro Part 1 helps you create a shape in Photoshop Elements and make the shape or background transparent.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Possibly OT, but a Track Matte conundrum!

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:16 pm

Bill,

Use one of the lasso tools instead of the selection brush. I'd recommend the polygonal lasso tool for your "house". After you draw the shape and close the figure, set the feather amount and then press delete as usual.

The Selection brush, as you discovered, only selects the area covered by the brush as you stroke it. The Lasso tools, on the other hand, define the edge of the selected area. Once you've traversed the edges of your shape with your tool and closed the figure, you've defined a selected area which you can then work with. In this case, to feather and delete.

If you've never used the lasso tools before, you should look up how to use them in the help file or users guide.
Bob

Postby William Tranter » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks, guys! I haven't used the lasso tool before, never needing to. I guess I'm going to have to read my reference books.
By the way, Chuck, PE2 In a Snap is just brilliant - everything is explained very clearly. I haven't used the 'Brady bunch' effect because I don't have family over here, there's just me and Maisie. We married too late to have children, so effects like the Brady Bunch have always seemed rather immaterial to me.
Anyway, I feel more learning is coming on . . .
All the best,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:18 am

Bill, just off the cuff here, you could still use the Brady Bunch effect with say, 9 / 6 / 4 different scenic views or places visited or animals that you saw, etc.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't necessarily have to be family members :)
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby William Tranter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:51 am

:lol: Tried the Polygonal lasso tool and it works a treat! Why didn't I think of that? Doh!!!
All the very best, and many thanks,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ronnie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:41 am

The cookie cutter tool also works great for creating mattes if you want just some basic shapes, (and some not so basic). Just create a black matte, select a shape, and cut it out. Don't forget to feather when cutting,if you want a soft edge to your matte.
Ronnie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby William Tranter » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:01 am

Thanks, Ron, and yes, I've tried that and it also works a treat!
I'm slowly (very slowly!) getting to grips with Photoshop Elements, and though I have several books on the subject, I still get into terrible muddles using this program. One day, though, I'll get there - probably just as Adobe produce a completely new software package!
All the best, and thanks,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Prior Versions