They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Combine VOB files using Command Prompt

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: Combine VOB files using Command Prompt

Postby DigitalGuido » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:29 pm

I do...it's a mini dvd from my canon camcorder.
DigitalGuido
New User
New User

Postby DigitalGuido » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I AM a newbie...Tried a different disc and it worked. Must have not been finalized and was lumped in with my other discs.

Crossing my fingers and thanks so much for the response. I hope this solves all my problems.
DigitalGuido
New User
New User

Postby DigitalGuido » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm

ok I'm sorry to sound so green, but should I be seeing an Access is denied message when I hit enter after entering the string as instructed? I did change the file names to match the file names on the disc. Everything should be correct.
DigitalGuido
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Don't write it to the root of the C drive. That is, instead of c:\DVD.vob write to, for example, C:\Users\*myname*\DVD.vob

Access denied means you don't have permission to do what you are trying to do. Either you don't have authority to read the files from the dvd (unlikely) or you are trying to write to a directory for which you don't have write permission (more likely).

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you have Vista. If you are an ordinary user (not an administrator), you won't have write access to the root of the C drive.
Bob

Postby DigitalGuido » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for the response...yes I just got a new computer with Vista 64 and it seems that was the issue. I made a directory and it appears to be doing something now.

Thanks again! You guys rock.
DigitalGuido
New User
New User

Postby DigitalGuido » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:37 am

So I'm pretty sure I followed all the instructions correctly. I merged 3 .vobs from a Mini DVD that was made from a Canon DC-210 using the command prompt. I used the media downloader to bring the new .vob into my trial version of Elements 7 (I have 3 and will probably upgrade). I dragged the one .vob into the timeline and then exported out an .avi file. Sure enough when the render was done I had audio sync issues in the latter half of the movie.

Can anyone help me figure out the definitive way to eliminate this? In the past I would use a combo of DVD Shrink, Video ReDo Plus and then VirtualDub to fix this issue. However now with Vista 64 that workflow no longer works due to bad codecs (Panasonic PDV Codec was an ingredient and doesn't seem to work anymore). I tried Dr. Divx as per another thread to convert the .vob into an editable file and although the video quality looked great, the audio seemed static-y. I'm not even sure if once I put that into Premiere I won't just end up having sync issues afterwards.

I really hope there's some experts here who can suggest or know of a stable workflow that gets consistently good video/audio match up. I'm not that knowledgable of all the various apps so a simple walkthrough would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
DigitalGuido
New User
New User

Postby Ampfy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:58 am

I have tried doing this, but the message that appears is as follows: "d" is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The opening text reads: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner

My PC comprises of the following:
2 hard drives. One is C the other E drive.
2 DVD drives. One is D the other F drive.

The operating programmes are all located on the C drive.
My Docs (where I work) is on the E drive.
When I have finished a session I back up the My Docs folder to another folder located on the C drive using FileBack PC.

I am running XP, SP3, 32 bit.

I have tried this Command Prompt exercise in both my D & F drives and with upper & lower case letters, but no success.

Any ideas?
Ampfy
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm

What type of DVD are you trying to do this with?
Some DVDs have copy protection and will not allow this.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ampfy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 pm

It's just one of my own DVD's of footage from my analogue S-VHSC camcorder. This wa originally loaded onto my Sony HDD/DVD player & burnt to a disc. It should have no copy protection.
Ampfy
New User
New User

Postby kodebuster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 pm

I think what's happening is you may be trying to read the VOB's directly from the DVD Drive (D:), and setting the resultant destination location for the combined VOB file to that DVD Drive which is giving you the error.

If that holds true, you may want to try this approach:

Create a Folder on your C: Drive, lets call it MyVOBS.

Copy the VOB files from the DVD Disc to that Folder (you can use Windows Explorer for this).

Then at the Command Prompt use the Change Directory Command to move to that Folder location (C:> CD\MyVOBS).

Then list the files via a Directory Command (C:> DIR)

You should see the VOB files that you copied displayed.

At this point enter the COPY Command as stated to combine the VOB files.

The resultant combined file should now default to the Folder you created (MyVOBS).

If you continue to have issues, post exactly the sequence of events and Commands leading up to your issue.

Hope this helps...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Excellent help Pat (Kodebuster), thanks :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:27 pm

I have tried doing this, but the message that appears is as follows: "d" is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Welcome to Muvipix, Ampfy!

That message occurs when you mistype the command line at the DOS prompt. Were you getting this message when you were entering the drive in the first command line? (repeated here in the next line)

type: "d:" and hit enter, type just what is between the ".."

For example, if you were to type either "d" (no colon) or "d :" (with a space embedded) and press enter you would get this message. What were you typing?
Bob

Postby kodebuster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:00 pm

As a follow up to the Moderators, regarding DOS level Commands:

Using the Command Prompt approach, you need to review carefully the syntax of the Command as stated, and make sure you are entering the Command and file structure exactly as outlined.

Any deviation from the Syntax and file structure will result in an immediate error and no action taken.

You will know when you get it right as the Cursor Prompt will go to sleep, you will see your hard drive access lite buzzing along, and after a few minutes the Cursor will reappear and your new VOB file should be sitting in the location you had designated.

The amount of time it takes to combine the files will be a factor of your CPU speed, and Drive transfer speeds.

On a slow box this could take some time...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ampfy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:10 am

:pull:
Hi Kodebuster,
Sorry for the delay in getting back (I'm in the UK with a time delay to the U.S and got back to the problem ASAP)

I went back to the basic syntax in Command Prompt & entered "d:" and it came back with original message of:- "d:" is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable file file or batch file.

I then proceeded to your last topic of advice as follows:-

1) Explorer - My Computer - C:Drive - New Folder - Created new folder titled MyVOBS
2) Opened files on D:Drive - clicked on all VOB files only (not the IFO or BUP files shown too)
3) Clicked on Edit - Copy to folder - C: MyVOBS - All VOB files were copied into folder OK & then shut down all open windows
4) Start - All Programmes - Accessories - Command Prompt (which opened with C:\Documents & Settings\New name>
5) Typed in the following:- C:> CD\MyVOBS - the message then read: The System cannot find the file path specified.
6) Then tried again with no space between > and CD.
I then tried again exactly to how you showed into the topic as follows:- (C:> CD\MyVOBS). - I did this in case the brackets and/or the full stop was part of the syntax.
I even tried it with DVD instead of CD in the text.

Sorry, but I'm still stuck.
Any further advice.

Ampfy.
Ampfy
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

Don't type the Quote marks. It's not "d:", it's d:
Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Prior Versions