They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Backward compatible?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Backward compatible?

Postby Bob D » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:10 pm

So I'm sitting around archiving some PE2 projects tonight. I'm archiving them to a folder and burning them on a DVD. These aren't a total loss if the disc goes bad, but I got to thinking. I wonder if when I get around to version 4 (I don't have version 3) if these projects will be able to be restored and work in newer releases.

I may be more confident that Adobe will keep this in mind in subsequent releases if I knew it worked from PE2 to PE3. Has anyone tried taking an archived project from PE2 and bring it back to life in PE3?
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm

It is the same as when we went from version 1 to version 2, you can open the project in the next version but if you don't save a copy you can never go back again. Version 3 does open version 2 projects but once they are saved you can never open them in version 2 again unless you made a copy.

This has been the pattern for the 3 releases so far, I would expect it to stay that way but you never know for sure. It will most likely depend on how big of changes they make in the next version.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:26 am

Actually, Chuck, if I remember right, you can't open version 1 files with version 2 without corrupting the file.

But you can open version 2 files with version 3 (but then you can't open them in version 2 anymore, as you said).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 am

No, you can open version 1 files in version 2 but you can't use them in version 1 again. I don't know if you can open version 1 files in version 3 though.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:08 pm

After your initial response, it dawned on me that there is nothing really special about the archive option. So as long as the next version can open a previous version, it is good! If it is important to save it as a new project if you want to keep the previous version though.
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions