They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Any negatives to burning DVD's at highest quality

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Any negatives to burning DVD's at highest quality

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

I have burned my first DVD and am going to be adding more still pictures to it.

In the Burn DVD menu - it gives yu a choice to pick the quality. I like how it tells you will be out of memory and if it will fit on the DVD.

It is reading what is in the drive correct?

Currently I have Memorex DVD-R 16x, 4.7gb

My current project fit on the 4.7 disc with the adjuster for quality between Low and High.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get a larger DVD the double layer? Besides Cost is there any negative to it?

I am thinking if I add a bunch of still pics that it will get too large and I don't know how much it will reduce the quality.

Do you have to have a special burner for the Double layer or is it "all in the disk"
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:47 pm

The burner must support dual layer discs to be able to burn them. How large is your project in length of time? The amount, number, or size, of images or video have nothing to with the final quality, only the length of the project for the most part.

You can fit a 1 hour project on a single layer disc with no quality loss, some have said 1 1/2 hours. Over that you start to lose quality and at 2 hours it will definately start to show.

If you leave the check box 'Fit Contents To Available Space' checked, you will always get the hightest quality possible.

You can also split your project up into parts and spread it out over multiple DVDs, I have done that on a few occasions myself.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:14 pm

It is showing 1:50:41 right now...but I still have more pictures to add.

aChuck re you always on the board?? :lol:

you always seem to be right there --- when I need someone!
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:48 pm

So maybe I should put the still pics on a separate disk.

I would think I could save the project under a different name and then edit the template so I have the same DVD template for the menu etc.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:21 pm

bgsnmky wrote:I would think I could save the project under a different name and then edit the template so I have the same DVD template for the menu etc.

Yes you can.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:46 pm

The time without the pics is 1:45
The time with some pics is 1:50

Do you think I should split the DVD for the 1:45 and if I don't, do you think an extra 5 minutes really makes a big difference on quality?

By the way, is there an easy way to tell if my burner is a dual burner? I have a Lightscribe Double Layer 16x Max DVD =/-r/rw Drive? That is what my documentation says.

looks like I can do the dual...should I??
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

I hould make sure I am looking at the right place for the length of the project. in the Project view where hte timeline is - the end of where my video and/or pictures are right?

There is a larger number to the left in blue - I am guessing that is the length also before I render it?

I don't really understand the whole rendering thing. I read what it was in help and it doesn't really explain what it is. is it kind of like Saving it. But then what is the difference between saving the project and Rendering the project.

I am really sorry for the basic questions.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:04 pm

bgsnmky wrote:I am really sorry for the basic questions.

That's what we're here for, simple, hard, doesn't matter :)

The difference between 1:45 and 1:50 might not make much difference, sometimes you have to burn a test disc just to see for sure what it will look like.

Your burner does indeed support dual layer discs.

Rendering is not required at all, you never have to render the timeline if you don't mind the Red line. Rendering creates a preview so it will play smooth, that's all. Fast CPUs and graphics will have a smooth preview even without rendering.

Did I miss anything?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 pm

would you recommend just getting the dual layer? Is there any reason NOT to use it? Then i would have better qualify.

Also am I looking at the right place for the length.
Above the timeline?
or the left hand side bigger numbers in blue.

Thanks.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:24 pm

No, bottom right side of the monitor, (project monitor not clip monitor) numbers in black.

They are by Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames

You can also look at the end of the timeline, where the Work Area Bar stops.

Burn a test DVD first before you go out and buy dual layer discs, they cost about $5 each, single layer discs only cost .25 cents.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:48 pm

I know this is not the question you asked or answer you want, but I have to chime in that 1:50 is a VERY LONG DVD. Experiences with my family show that their attention span is far shorter than that. One hour seems to be about the maximum and even then it has to be a good hour - i.e. something to hold their attention.

I would recommend either breaking it up or chopping some stuff out.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback...ALL is welcomed.

Right now I just wanted to get it done for a 5th anniversary..so it is not perfect, but I got pretty far in it. I will probably delete some scenes later and re-burn it.

BUT --- I have added a lot of scenes to be able to jump around and stuff...so I think that will help.

Thanks again....
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:39 pm

So I just went to buy the Double Layer Discs and the guy at the store told me they are really only playing back on .....not for DVD players.

Have you guys heard that???
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 pm

The Hollywood movies that you buy at the store are mostly Double Layer DVD -R, I don't know what the guy was talking about. I have used the Dual Layer DVDs and they work just fine on most of my DVD players.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bgsnmky » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:49 am

UGH!!!! Drives me crazy..... :mad:

He even said the Dual Layer only comes in +R, but I don't think that is correct either. They come in -R also right?

I just read more on the VideoHelp.com. There was a great article, but back in 2003 and they said recordable Dual Layer does not exist. But from what they said it agreed with you that most commercial DVD's are dual layer...

Now on the Dual Layer - you just pop them in and you do not have to turn them over or do anything special to burn them right?
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions