They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HELLO - I have a couple of questions - TOTAL NEWBIE

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

HELLO - I have a couple of questions - TOTAL NEWBIE

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 pm

so I am brand new (ATTN: COMPLETE NEWBIE!) here - and I am really excited to find this forum! looks like I am going to learn a lot!

FIRST question - where do I buy the book?
Amazon?
or can I purchase here on the site?

I figured the authors are the guys that do this site right?
well.......I assumed you would be advertising the crap outta your book! ha

I have not had a single pop up for it yet...........
anyway

I have spent about 20 hours on the program and I am getting the hang of some things - but others are still quite tricky - and other I have no clue where to even start.

So I guess the first question is:

How do I get an audio track from a video to play while watching a video from something completely different?

I am trying to edit this video footage of a friend of mine and his car (it was a car owned by a rock n roll guy) and I want to hear him telling the story of how he got the car - while showing images of the car driving around............and is it possible to have the car sounds AND his narration going at the same time.............?

the above footage was captured on HV20 Canon and there is no problem with the above video when shown on TV
the item below was recorded on an old Sony 8mm video camera and was transferred to DVD with a DVD recorder so that brings us to:
next problem:

ok - ok - before you all hammer me for NOT looking up the correct previous posts -I have looked for 25 minutes and searched................
the best I can figure is that I have an interlace problem.

but I really dont understand any of this.....

WHAT I am Trying to do: Create a DVD that my father can watch on his TV....
I have put together a video compilation of still images and car show footage I shot this summer of cars driving around - some of them are going about 55 MPH. I have set this to music and everything seems to be fine except......

THE PROBLEM: when the cars go by going fast - they are very blurry - almost like there are 2 cars on the screen at one time.........

when I FOLLOW the cars with the camera as I was shooting - the cars are not blurry or AS blurry - and the still shots (meaning images I took with my camera) of the cars look fine - in fact they look REALLY REALLY good..........all the more frustrating when you see the quality of the blurry cars

I have read on these forums about interlacing - and I think that may be the problem - however everyone seems to have the problem of blurry images on the computer - MY problem is that the TV images are blurry........

I really hope that you people can help me out - I have already given up hope of getting this out for a Christmas gift - but if there is just some simple thing that I need to do - then perhaps it can still happen.

I am using Adobe Premire Elements 4
Windows Vista (I am assuming these are compatible since Dell shipped these to me together in a bundle) I have a Dell XPS 420, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz RAM = 3070MB and a 32 bit operating system I hope this is enough info

I had transferred the raw footage to a DVD in the summer and it looks just fine on the TV so the probllem may be the capture rate from that DVD to the computer.........or this interlacing thing that people are talking about.

OK
there you go - I hope you will take mercy on me and at least point me in the right direction

THANKs
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELLO - I have a couple of questions - TOTAL NEWBIE

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:16 pm

Re the sound - you can have up to 99 audio tracks so if I have understood the problem correctly you should add the narration that you want as a second sound track and adjust the audio track volumes appropriately via the properties panel (sorry that I cannot be more precise as I still use PrElv2 - if you need more detail on how to do it step by step then maybe someone with PrElv4 will chip in.

Also this might help:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1708
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:37 pm

so.......you can put a video file in the audio segment?

or is there a way to extract the audio from the video - then put the audio file where I want it.................
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:08 pm

You have access to 99+ video and 99+ audio tracks.
You can unlink/separate the audio and video, then put either where ever you want.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:11 pm

A link to the book can be found on the muvipix resource page, button is at the top between 'Services' and 'Contact'.

Have you rendered the video by pressing the Enter key yet? Pressing enter will create a smooth preview and the blurriness should go away.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Seeing you capture some of the footage from a DVD you may need to reverse the fields but not enough information to determine that yet.
Try pressing the Enter key first and see if it is cleared up on the screen/preview in Premiere Elements.

Do you have the same blurriness when burned to a DVD? Have you even tried burning the project to a DVD yet?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:14 pm

coolstuffiniowa wrote:so.......you can put a video file in the audio segment? or is there a way to extract the audio from the video - then put the audio file where I want it.................

You put the video on another video track and it's audio will appear on an audio track. Right click on the video in the timeline and select Unlink audio and video. You can now select just the video portion and delete it leaving just the audio.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Welcome coolstuffiniowa. You can't go wrong with the Premiere Elements 2 in a Snap book. It really helped me to learn the program and accomplish specific tasks. I have version 3, and doesn't matter what version you have the concepts are the same.

We lived in Sioux City for 9 months many years ago. Good luck with your project.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:36 pm

wow - I am blown away by the friendly and QUICK responses here - that is GREAT!

I have been trying for the past hour to get this audio from video 1 to be the "master" audio while I shoe images and stuff from the car on video 2 - I think I have it down now - BUT - does the Video 2 take over the video 1?
and video 3 will take over video 2?

I guess I am asking - as the #'s go up - do the higher #'s take preference over the lower - kinda like layers in photoshop right?

If I had a book I am sure this would have been explained in about 1 minute

also - did not even KNOW about the pressing enter on the other dvd that was "ghosting"

it was another dvd of some cars - and the cars just look really blurry

so I will go back and try that - or may just re edit the whole thing

boo hoo - 4 hours of time gone

I am sure you all have horror stories much worse than that!

ha
ok

Merry Christmas to you all and I hope that I am going to have electricity tomorrow - they say a massive storm is headed our way!
LATER!!!
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Gooder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Hello,

Yes, the next video track such as Number 2 will take priority over track 1!

And just like using layers in Photoshop you can use the "opacity feature" on video track 2 and turn it down a bit.
This will then show through part of video track 1 while playing video track 2 :)

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Audio tracks all play, no matter what track they are on, you control the audio by volume only. If 3 tracks have audio and all are set to full volume you will hear them all on top of each other.

To see a smooth preview, depending on your system, pressing the Enter key to render may be necessary.
Try that first before you start to rebuild and re-edit your project.

Glad to have you on board :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:18 am

OK
so I think I may be done with this little project - just in time for Christmas!

but I want to know what to do about saving this on the computer now............

should I just burn this to a dvd - and then when I want to use this again later on - (cause I WILL need this again later for a compilation DVD that I plan on making) - burn it from the DVD back on to the hard drive?

I may go ahead and post this on YouTube as well

so that way you can take a look

and you can tell me what I need to do to improve-I have pretty thick skin and realize I am a total amateur at this - first off I can see that my photography needs some help - that is fer sure.............

I am going to ask the guy that I did this for if it is OK to do the You Tube thing first though

Any ideas on storage - would be really helpful - I am thinking of getting an external harddrive - I think I can get one that holds about 50 hours of video footage for about $200

look forward to your responses
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:22 am

Here is a great article on archiving video footage for later use :)
http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/sou ... tstars.htm

You can get a 500gb MyBook for around $120 if you keep your eyes open. That's almost 40 hours worth of DV-AVI video.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:29 am

ok
sounds like that article is what I was going to do - but I was just concerened that if I wanted to use this file again - the one that is now on DVD - that when I go to put it BACK on my hard drive - there will be some sort of frame loss or some kind of degeneration (kinda like hte old days of getting a beta copy to VHS - then that VHS to your mom and Dad - then they make a copy for their brothers and sisters.................the copy starts to lose quality and look really terrible.

I know that this is not supposed to happen on digital formats - but I have found that I need to keep all my analog masters - just in case - and I am glad I have too!
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:10 pm

You will be putting the data files on the DVD, not authoring the DVD as mpeg2, there is a huge difference.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions