They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE3 to PE4 video does not play but audio does

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE3 to PE4 video does not play but audio does

Postby k2np818 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 pm

I have upgraded from PE3 to PE4.
I have an AVI file created by GIGAPOCKET (I use it to cpature my family VHS tapes and digitize them).
When I import the AVI into PE3 everything plays fine.
When I import the same AVI file into PE4 the audio plays but the video does not.
I am at a lose at what the cause is. I tried the Help suggestion of adjusting the playback setting but that did not resolve the issue.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Ken
k2np818

Re: PE3 to PE4 video does not play but audio does

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:11 pm

It is never easy to figure out what changes between one version and another, I hate it when that happens.

You can convert the file to DV-AVI using Premiere Elements version 3, Windows Movie Maker or Virtualdub.
The DV-AVI file will work in version 4, sorry I can't tell you why it worked in v3 and not in v4 though.

In v3 just do File/Export/Movie and you will get a DV-AVI file that will work in v4.
You can also use Windows Movie Maker, there is a free video tutorial on how to do this in the Products/Complimentary section of muvipix (it is one of the newest tutorials).
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby k2np818 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:46 pm

Chuck:

Thanks for your prompt response.
Your tip will do the job for me.

Thanks Again... Ken
k2np818

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Ken,

I'm curious as to what type of avi file GIGAPOCKET is producing as it is apparently not a dv-avi. If you download Gspot.exe from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/, you can use that to find out what codec was used in the file. Gspot can tell you more about the file structure and the state of the codecs installed on your system as well.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:12 am

Also, be sure to check the responses we've been posting to the Adobe forum. Like this:

Version 4 is more tolerant with different file formats than version 3 -- but I still say that's in indicator of a non-standard codec, which can ultimately cause strange problems that may not show up until you try to burn your DVD...and even afterward!

I'd still recommend you convert it to a DV-AVI before you bring it into Premiere Elements, just to be sure.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions