They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Won't open or play on another computer

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Won't open or play on another computer

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm sorry if this is not the correct forum for my question, but I'm not sure where the problem lies:

I have been using PE3 for a while now and have burned discs (mostly DVD-R) with my project files, avi files and DVD movies created in PE3 onto various brands of discs with no problems. I have now found that all of my latest projects will play and/or open on two of my computers (one is Windows MC, one is Windows XP), but not on two others (Windows XP). I can play and/or open the older projects on discs. I have not changed the brands of discs during the time period this seems to have occurred.

All of the DVD movies will play on both of my stand alone DVD players.

I am tempted to do a system restore, but it would be to several months ago, so I am hesitant to do this.

I did not want to make this too long a post, but will supply more information about all of the systems if it would be helpful.

How should I go about troubleshooting this? :-k
Peru

Re: Won't open or play on another computer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm sorry if this is way too obvious, Peru, but...

Make sure that the other computers you're playing on actually have DVD drives and not just CD drives and, if they do, that they are DVD-R and not DVD+R drives.

Most likely if they do they also have DVD player software, but that would be another thing to double-check for before you do something as extreme as a system restore or rebuild.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:36 pm

Steve-

Yes, they all have DVD-R write and rewrite drives. Thay all have Windows Media Player.

I was able to play, with Windows Media Player, the DVD videos and AVI files of my earlier projects (prior to March '07?), but not of my later ones(after March '07?).

Something must have changed, but I can't seem to find where or what. ](*,)
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Windows Media Player can be iffy when playing back DVDs.

Why not use the DVD player software on your computer instead and see if that makes a difference? This would be the software that launches when insert a commercial DVD.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:05 pm

Steve-

When I put the DVD video or the DVD with the avi files in the disc drive it sees it as a blank disc and won't auto play or allow me an option to "open with", even if I right click. I get an error message: Windows Explorer when I try to open it.
E:\ is not accessible
Incorrect Function
Peru

Postby Andy_E » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 pm

You say you haven't changed the brand of discs you're using. Have you, however, started a new spindle? Disc manufacturers often source their media from more than one factory in different countries. One batch great, the next crap.

Everything you''ve posted seems to point to the media since these DVDs plays in some drives and not others while older projects play fine. Download DVD Info Pro and install it on one of machines that plays the lot. Then use the program to take a look at the before (they work) and after (they don't) media.
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Andy-

I can't remember if it is a new spindle, but I will try your suggestion and post back my results when I get to that computer.
Thanks.
Peru

Postby cluelessidiot » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:01 pm

cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:19 pm

cluelessidiot -

Thanks for the links. I checked them out, but I am using Record Now (two different versions) on all computers.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:04 pm

As this Microsoft article says, Windows Media Player won't play DVDs unless you have a DVD decoder installed.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... ril15.mspx

You can buy one or you can just download a DVD player application.

There are a number of free DVD players out there. Here's one with some nice added features:
http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.asp ... cid=234544

And here are several more choices.
http://downloads.zdnet.com/search.aspx?q=dvd+player
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:22 pm

I think that starting with Windows Media Player 10 ( or maybe 11) the DVD Decoder was included and there is no need to download a decoder anymore, just upgrade Windows Media player to the latest version.
Although the old DVDs play fine on all of Peru's computers so a player and decoder are already installed, either something changed or the discs you are now using are bad. It is still funny that they will play on some and not others, have you added any updates to some computers and not others? There has to be something that has changed.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:58 pm

Chuck-

One of the computers which did play, but now doesn't, the DVD movies and avi files had Windows Media Player 9 on it.
Out of frustration I downloaded WMP11, but it still won't play or open them.

The funny thing about something changing is that two computers will "communicate" with each other, but not with the other two. Therefore, something must have changed on two computers?

I'm going to pick up some Verbatim DVD-R discs tomorrow. I am hoping that it is just something like Andy suggested about one spindle of the discs I had been using being different than the others of the same brand. :???:
Peru

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Andy-

I did download DVD Info Pro to the computer which did not read the disc and it said that the disc was blank! I will do the same on the computer that did read the disc if the Verbatim discs don't solve my problem.
Peru

Postby Andy_E » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:36 am

Peru wrote:Andy-

I did download DVD Info Pro to the computer which did not read the disc and it said that the disc was blank! I will do the same on the computer that did read the disc if the Verbatim discs don't solve my problem.

That's why I said to install it on the PC that could read the dics.

There's some good info here:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm

and also here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/taiyo-yuden-faq-178622/
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Andy-

I will try DVD Info Pro on the computer I burn with, just haven't had a chance to download it there.

Thanks for the links- a lot of good info about discs and burning, etc. there.

I picked up some Verbatim discs today, but have had the same results.

To all-

I've done some more experimenting and have found that this problem is not limited to video or avi files. Any files I burn to dvd can not be read by the other two computers. It seems to me that something must have happened or changed in the computer I use to burn discs. I am suspecting that it has something to do with Record Now, since the two computers recognizing the discs have the same version and the other two computers which don't recognize the discs both have a different (but the same as each other) version.I keep a log of programs installed, etc. for that computer and have an idea of approximately when this must have occurred so I will check it and after backing up will try a system restore and one by one download any updates and reload programs from disc or file if necessary. I guess I'm just thinking out loud, but does this seem to make sense? :?:

Sorry about the confusing nature of this problem, but I do really do appreciate you all taking the time to offer suggestions.
I will continue to try to resolve this issue and will post back.
Peru

Next

Return to Prior Versions