They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE3 equivalent of the blue screen of death

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE3 equivalent of the blue screen of death

Postby skip » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 am

I've been working on a project in PE 3.0 for the past week. This morning when I tried to load the project, within a few seconds of loading I received the "Sorry, PE has encountered a serious error and must shut down...." message. This message appears after loading any other PE 3 project. (It's not just the project on which I'm working.) I tried "fixing" PE 3.0 with the same results. I tried reloading PE 3.0 and still get the message immediately after the project loads. I also cannot open a new project - same message. I'm not sure what would have happened over night. I have not loaded any new software onto the computer (running Windows XP) with the possible exception of an automatic Windows update. Any ideas? Thanks...
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: PE3 equivalent of the blue screen of death

Postby Peru » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Try System Restore.

If you think an auto update did it, check which updates were recently installed before restoring and turn off auto updates after the System Restore.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree with Peru, try a system restore back to when it worked last and see if that fixes it.
Let us know what happens :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Looks like I have serious problems. Restored the system to 3 days ago (when it was working fine) and still have the same problem.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Getting any beeps on bootup or error messages? Are you using Photoshop Elements? If so, is it working? Are other programs working correctly?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby skip » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:04 pm

No error messages on bootup. I am running photoshop elements 5.0 and it seems to be running just fine. Other programs seem to be running fine too, although I don't have too many on the problem computer. Also a side note - Since last January, I have had Premiere Elements 10 loaded on the computer. I haven't used PrEl too much because the computer isn't big enough to effectively run the program (an awful lot of hangs, saves, and renderings). I've tried a couple of little programs using PrEl 10, but reverted back to PrEl 3 in order to get my current project completed. At any rate, after having the problems with PrEl 3, I tried to open a PrEl 10 project using PrEl 10. PrEl 10 will load a project without immediately shutting down so it too seems to be working just fine.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Can you uninstall and then install v3 again?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:57 am

I'm not clear on this point so apologies if it is a daft question. Are you saying that you opened your PrElv3 project in PrElv10, then reverted back to PrElv3 to finish it?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:52 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Can you uninstall and then install v3 again?

If you do a reinstall, don't forget to install the updates, too.
Peru

Postby skip » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:36 pm

John - the PrEl 10 projects and the PrEl 3 projects are totally separate. PrEl 10 will not open PrEl 3 projects (too primitive). I just mentioned PrEl 10 because it is resident on the computer and seems to be working fine (At least it doesn't immediately shut down after the loading screen completes.)

I've tried uninstalling and installing PrEl 3 several times, each time with the same disappointing results. I have all upgrades installed. I did notice this morning (in response to a previous reply on this topic) that on computer bootup I received a similar "sorry" message concerning Elements Auto Analyzer and that it would have to shut down. Apparently Elements Auto Analyzer launches at startup - unbeknownst to me. I'd never seen that error message until this morning.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:14 pm

When you did the system restore, are you sure it completed successfully? I've seen many a time when it would appear that the restore was working, but instead at the very end the message says that it was unable to restore and suggests that you choose a different restore point. If you're not paying close attention you can click off on that final message without realizing that the restore actually wasn't successful. Just making sure that we're covering all bases in trying to help.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 am

We used to rename the "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs" file when things got bad.

That file is normally located in this hidden folder, for example:
C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\3.0.

If you haven't already done so, you will need to enable a Folder option: "Show hidden files and folder." You can access that by opening a folder, then selecting Tools > Folder Options" from the menu below the title bar. Click on the "View" tab, and scroll down to find the option."

After enabling "hidden files and folders", you can open up the Premiere Elements preferences folder by entering this in the Run box (Start > Run) and clicking OK:

%Appdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\3.0
(Those are percent signs).

Rename the file instead of deleting it. Just append your initials to the file name.

Finally start Premiere Elements and see if you can get in, and let us know what happens.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby skip » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 am

Dave - tried system restore per your suggestion just to make sure a had actually restored the system to a workable time. Apparently I've lost all my system restore point. The only option I had was to restore the system to last Friday, but the last time PrEl 3 worked correctly was Thursday. How do you lose system restore points?

RJ - tried your recommendation with no luck. PrEl still crashes just after loading, in this case, a new project. After trying to open PrEl 3, I went back and looked at the folder containing the preference file. I now have two preference files, the one that I renamed with my initials appended and a new preference file minus my initials. Based on the file creation time, the new file was created when I tried to open the new Pr El 3 project.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:44 am

skip wrote:Dave - tried system restore per your suggestion just to make sure a had actually restored the system to a workable time. Apparently I've lost all my system restore point. The only option I had was to restore the system to last Friday, but the last time PrEl 3 worked correctly was Thursday. How do you lose system restore points?

It's a known and longstanding problem with XP, and the only way you find out is in a crisis when system restore won't work. The only "solution" that I've been aware of was to periodically (as a sort of maintenance item) turn off system restore, reboot, and then turn system restore back on. It makes it start working again, for an undetermined amount of time. Unfortunately that procedure also wipes out all previouse restore points, and does not allow you to restore to a time previous to that. So the idea is to do it at regular intervals when the system is working. Few people will go to the trouble, and with XP slowing fading away it's becoming a non-issue. I've actually seen this also happen in Vista and Win 7 systems, but very seldom.

It's a shame that RJ's idea didn't work. He has a knack with these kinds of problems, and a good memory for the solutions. One thing that you can do is to try system restore in safe mode. If that still doesn't work, my next step would be to uninstall PrEl 3 and then run a registry cleaner to get rid of any leftover orphaned components before doing a reinstall. It may be that there's something that's not getting uninstalled (not uncommon). I don't use registry cleaners a lot, but they do have their place and some people swear by them. I've used CCleaner (free) in the past: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER but there are a number of good ones. Steve or Chuck or others may make a suggestion. If you do decide to use one, pay attention to what you're doing so that you don't also delete things that you want to keep. There will be options.

Dave McElderry

Postby skip » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Dave. Like you say, the system restore can only be fixed when you don't need to fix it. I'll plan on doing that as part of any system maintenance in the future.

As for the registry cleaning software, I took a look at the registry cleaning snapshot on the web site you provided. In the left-hand column list of areas that can be cleaned, are there areas more likely to contain the Pr El 3 problems? Or conversely, are there any areas that I should be wary of cleaning because that could lead to more problems than I already have?
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Prior Versions