They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE3 equivalent of the blue screen of death

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: PE3 equivalent of the blue screen of death

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:16 pm

skip wrote:Thanks Dave. Like you say, the system restore can only be fixed when you don't need to fix it. I'll plan on doing that as part of any system maintenance in the future.

As for the registry cleaning software, I took a look at the registry cleaning snapshot on the web site you provided. In the left-hand column list of areas that can be cleaned, are there areas more likely to contain the Pr El 3 problems? Or conversely, are there any areas that I should be wary of cleaning because that could lead to more problems than I already have?

I'd just run the registry cleaner itself (second item down on the left side), and not worry about the Windows cleaning items. You can just leave everything under the registry section selected. Be sure to allow it to make a restore point before you start, just in case something goes awry. My experience has been good with this particular tool and I don't think you'll have any problem. I would first try a system restore in safe mode, though. In this particular case a restore is still preferable.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby skip » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Dave - thanks again. I downloaded the CCleaner, cleaned the registry, uninstalled Pr El 3, Pr El 10, PSE 5 and PSE 10 (just in case there was an incest problem). Reinstalled PR El 3 and PSE 5. Cleaned registry again. Still have the problem. Looks like the days I have left using PR El 3 on this XP computer are extremely limited to none. On the plus side, my wife keeps wondering why I want to buy a new computer. I have an answer for her now.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 pm

I would have done it in the opposite sequence: uninstall, clean, reinstall. Would it have made any difference? Maybe not. Skip, did you ever try the system restore in safe mode?

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby skip » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:40 am

Dave - I can see from re-reading my last post that my remarks would lead to confusion. It looks like I took those actions in chronological order. I did not. As I recall, I downloaded CCleaner and ran the registry fix program. There were 337 fixes necessary. I then tried to launch Pr El 3 with no success. I uninstalled Pr El 3, ran CCleaner, installed Pr El 3, ran CCleaner and rebooted the system. Pr El 3 still would not work (immediately shut down after loading). I then uninstalled Pr El 3, PSE 3, and PSE 10, ran CCleaner and then installed Pr El 3, rebooted and tried Pr El 3 again. No luck. On all subsequent CCleaner runs after the initial one I would get around 10-20 registry fixes necessary which I assumed were caused by the uninstall process(es).

I've also had no better luck with the system restore approach. When I started the computer in safe mode and ran system restore, I still did not have any available system restore points earlier than last Friday. Same results in safe mode as in normal mode. (The last time my system operated properly was last Thursday.)
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks Skip, that's helpful. Unfortunately it would seem that the things that would be expected to work do not.

Dave McElderry

Postby skip » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am

thanks again for your help. I'll keep a closer eye on system restore in the future per your suggestions....skip
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Prior Versions