They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

75 Minute video to DVD/s - what level of compression?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

75 Minute video to DVD/s - what level of compression?

Postby sheltiephil » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:53 am

Using Premiere Elements 3.0 Windows XP SP3 3.06gHz hyperthreading 3 GbRAM

Hi, I’ve become comfortable with editing and burning short videos with Premiere Elements 3.0. (The program has been wonderful). Now, I have 75 minutes of edited footage for a community video. Coverage spanned 25 events over a week. I started with more than 16 hours of standard definition digital video and captured and edited in avi format across 10 separate PRE3 projects , each representing a chapter of the final film. I thought 75 minutes of reasonably complex editing within one project would be too heavy in memory usage. I’ve been using a 1.5Tb Western Digital external drive. I have a final cut of each chapter with music and titles. I hope to include slide shows as well as video chapters on the menus because people in our community provided hundreds of stills (to be cherry picked).

Where does one go from here? Will quality be well preserved on a 2-disc final product? I have been hoping to export the (intricate) final edits of each chapter as single files from the separate projects mentioned to folders, saving on hard disc - and then import the files to a final compilation project.

Should the existing projects be exported as mpeg2 or avi files, and if the latter, at what level of compression? That’s the crux of the puzzle, as far as I can see, but people in this forum might see further complications or have suggestions. I have an ASUS single-layer burner.

Would it be revealing to export one project as a file, then import to a new project and burn — as an experiment to discover disc usage? If so, I would experiment with the longest chapter/project — of 13 minutes.

Hoping advice from this forum will help this short-video-maker to produce a successful feature-length product for the local community.
sheltiephil
New User
New User

Re: 75 Minute video to DVD/s - what level of compression?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:19 am

Firstly, welcome to Muvipix, sheltiephil. :wcm:

Regarding your question on DVD capacity, I think that you will find that the full 75 minutes will fit onto a standard, single sided DVD without too much problem. As you suggest, exporting each project segment and re-importing into the final assembly project is the way to go. My choice would be to export each segment as an .avi file. When you do the final export from the "assembly PrEl project" to DVD then PrEl will take care of the compression for you - you do not have to specify a setting.

Now it is a long time since I used PrEl so this is testing my memory.

For burning multiple copies of a DVD I would either write a single DVD (use a re-writable disc to save making coasters) and test it on my DVD player/TV. When happy that I had it right I would then use DVD copy software to burn the other discs. Or, from PrEl, I would write the original DVD to a file then use something like ImgBurn to create the test DVD. Once happy then I would burn the copies from the file (again using ImgBurn which is a free software tool that a lot of use here use).

Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:31 am

I'll second what John said; the method you describe is tried and true. You should be able to get about 70 minutes on a single disc at full quality. You're not likely to see significant difference squeezing the extra 5 minutes or so on there. Mostly I just wanted to say Welcome!
:meet:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 am

Yup, I agree too, 75 minutes should fit without any problems at excellent quality.
I have seen 90 minute videos burned to DVD with no quality loss.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sheltiephil » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Thank you so much John, Dave and Chuck - for the welcome as much as the helpful advice. It's great to receive three friendly and knowledgable replies so quickly. I will download imgburn and try it. Mostly use Nero. Will confirm the quality when I have burned. Before that, have to complete a number of slideshows for the DVD.

Needless to say, I'll keep using the Muvipix forum! Hullo to you from little Tasmania, Australia. :razz: ::C - Regards, Phil
sheltiephil
New User
New User

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

If you have Nero, then there is no need for ImgBurn. They serve the same purpose. Welcome to Muvipix.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions