They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

looking to buy new video camera...

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

looking to buy new video camera...

Postby gail spiro » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi- I need to buy a new video camera right away for a project. I'm considering the Sony HDR-CX160, but I have an important question- will Premiere 4 allow me to import and work with MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVCHD files?
If not, do you think it would be reasonable to get this camera anyway and convert my files to AVIs first, (will that degrade the picture quality?) or does someone have a better suggestion? I need to purchase this asap (pre 2012) for tax reasons.
Thanks!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: looking to buy new video camera...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:47 pm

I don't believe version 10 works with AVCHD footage. Or if it does, it doesn't do it well.

If you're going to invest in a new cam anyway, you may want to look into version 10. Its performance with AVC video is excellent!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I think Steve meant to say doesn't work with Premiere Elements 4. AVCHD support came later and version 10 does support it.

AVCHD is high definition, you can convert it to a more PrE 4 friendly format such as HDV with little loss. DV-AVI is standard definition and I would avoid that unless you really do want standard definition. HD to SD is a significant quality loss.
Bob

Postby gail spiro » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for the help- I won't purchase PE10 because 9 is awful and I was told by Adobe support that 10 isn't much better, so I'm sticking with PE4 for now.
Anyone have any feelings about this particular camera? (Sony HDR-CX160)
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Adobe support told you version 10 was awful? Some support! No wonder you came here!

Version 10 is excellent, a big step forward for the program -- particularly handling AVCHD files -- in many ways.

Version 9 was an improvement over version 8, to be sure. But it took version 10 to finally get it right. (So who do you trust more? Adobe tech support or Muvipix ;) )

Even still, if you've found a solution, that's all that matters.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby gail spiro » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Steve-Remember my topic a bit ago about how PE9 was requiring me to render Constantly in order to preview my work, where as PE4 allows me to do many edits between renders?
I can't work with a software that won't allow me to preview my work without constant rendering, and also PE 9 was very "gliltchy". The guy at Adobe support took over my computer and was able to see exactly what I meant, and in the end, he agreed with me and told me that he didn't think PE10 would be any better in terms of the rendering situation.
If you think otherwise- let me know. I'd be happy to buy PE10 if I thought it could work for me. I was so frustrated with 9 that I went back to 4.

Happy New Year to all my Muvipix friends!
Gail
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Why not download the free trial of PrE 10? That way, you'll be seeing first hand how it performs on your system with your video.
Bob

Return to Prior Versions