They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Buy The Newest Version Now

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Buy The Newest Version Now

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:06 pm

Check out the link on our Resource Page
http://muvipix.com/resources.php
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Buy The Newest Version Now

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Chuck: Thanks for the link. However, it doesn't look like they are offering the $30 rebate they did for upgraders in past versions. It is cheaper for upgraders to by directly from Adobe.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:02 pm

That is true at the moment, Amazon always comes up with a deal eventually so you might want to keep checking back.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kerrie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I forgot about campustech.com website! They are offering the Photoshop elements 6/premiere 4 for 109.85, so if anyone is a teacher or student (or knows someone who is.......) it seems like a great deal to me!! :-D Kerrie
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gooder » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:21 am

So, who is going ahead to purchase this new version and who is using it right now!

I am still using Premiere Elements 1 but for the bulk of main projects I use Pro 1.5. I really do like what the package has to offer especially, the themes feature!

Does anyone know if the themes can be changed by the user and also add other members themes to the software? That would be interesting to see and also view what the members of this forum will send in :)

Yes, I will be purchasing the combined package! Premiere & Photoshop...

Cheers,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:17 am

Robert Johnston, I believe, discovered the ability to create movie themes as an undocumented feature way back in version 3. It took something of a hack to get it to work, but he managed to do it. (Not that he's a hack. He USED a hack.)

I'll have to play more with the movie themes in version 4.0, but I see every reason you can adapt and create your own. (Personally, it's one of my least favorite features -- but maybe I need to give it a chance.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks for that Steve!

Interesting to know that about the theme and Robert Johnston, nice!

So, why do you not like the theme feature?

I like it as it has creativity stamped on it! Now that you have explained that it can be changed, and that has to give it more user creativity.
I'm sure I and others will create some very interesting themes to share and it could also be something for you and Chuck to add to the products page!

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:21 am

Maybe it's just me. I'm very meticulous about every aspect of my videos. I rarely even use DVD menu templates as is. And I'll tweak a single transition for half an hour before I'm completely satisfied.

The idea of slapping some packet of titles, transitions and effects to automatically create a completed movie just goes against my nature. If you've looked at the video Adobe did about me on their Premiere Elements 4 page, you'll see what I mean. They took my precious Italy footage and slapped a "newsreel" movie theme on it -- and suddenly it's all old film effects and showy stuff that has nothing to do with the content.

But, as I said. Maybe I just haven't given it a chance yet. I guess it might make sense, if you were doing a series of short features that you wanted to have the same look and style. But to take my niece's wedding, for instance, and slap it together with the distracting weddding them (with all its overlays and music and special effects) would be downright blasphemous, IMHO.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 am

For those looking to upgrade, I think the frugal route is to go through the Adobe store. They have free shipping. The upgrade price is $119.99.

And if anyone noticed at the end of yesterdays webinar there was a promotion code to use. It gives an extra 10% discount. The promotional code is DESIGNQ407. I just ordered and the price came to $107.99 plus tax.
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gooder » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:00 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:The idea of slapping some packet of titles, transitions and effects to automatically create a completed movie just goes against my nature. If you've looked at the video Adobe did about me on their Premiere Elements 4 page, you'll see what I mean. They took my precious Italy footage and slapped a "newsreel" movie theme on it -- and suddenly it's all old film effects and showy stuff that has nothing to do with the content.

Interesting thought Steve!

I would say that it is fine to use the themes or any other effects but use them within moderation! I do understand and actually agree with things going against your nature & having nothing to do with the content. I'm sure we all tweak away in the midnight hours and get that project the way we want it!

I was watching a wedding video the other day and it had some nice effects, but not plastered all over everything! Also, if the same wedding video had nothing applied to it then I think it would look less interesting. But as we all know it is a matter of personal style on how we edit etc.

When it comes to wedding videos I try to show any client what effects could be applied and let them tell me what they like or dislike.

Reagarding your vidoe clip, you could always send a bit more in to the forum :-D

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Stregga » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 am

I appologize if I missed this point on anyones post, but is there a way to save the theme after you've modified it? You know, make your tweaks and adjustment to make it looke the way you like and save it that way. This way the next time you want it to look different, you only need to tweak it a bit and it still is more to what your individual taste is, rather than the default setting.
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gerry » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks for the 3 demo videos, you guys -- you sold me. I just placed my order.

(A true testimonial!)
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:58 pm

I agree with Steve. I use PE to create something that is unique to me. While I can see having themes to get a user interested in the program or even to batch process video the theme concept is like having a paint by numbers picture. It looks like a work of art but all the user had to do was follow the directions.

While that is not so devastating by itself, when coupled with the properties menu relegated to a second class event, I think there is cause for concern. I also notice that the hype for this release seems to be aimed at the novice user who is tired of uploading their cell phone video’s to YouTube and wants the program to have pretty colors to look at on the screen.

I might be like the Star Trek movies where a common sentiment among fans is that the even-numbered Star Trek films are superior to the odd-numbered Star Trek films. In PE's case it might be that the odd number releases are better than the even.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Gooder » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Good to hear your thoughts on the theme feature, Sidd!

But you could always use the theme feature to get yourself started and then tweak a few things!

Again, straight video taken from a camcorder even an expensive one still needs some effects or treatment to ehnance it. I am not saying to splash a theme all over your or my work and leave it at that. I'm sure you get what I am trying to say!

We all have our own and unique way of doing things, but its interesting to hear what we all think about the latest features of Prem 4!

Cheers,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 pm

Since you are my Super Agent Lee, and my Muxipix academy entrance would never have happend with out you.....

It would be nice if each option was both easily accessable. Or, the user could pick the options they want to see. IMO the most ironic thing on the screen is that after the user clicks the properties and it opens up, there is a little check box to say done.....I would venture a guess that a whole lot of movie editors do not have a "done" feeling when editing video. You can always make that one last tweak. Ahhh such is progress.

To quote from the movie "The Incredables"
Helen Parr (to her son): "Everyone's special, Dash."
Dash: "Which is another way of saying no one is special."

Give it a few months and I will be complaining "Why did they not have themes :oops: from the begining"

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Next

Return to Prior Versions