They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transfer DVD to AVI - what do you use?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Transfer DVD to AVI - what do you use?

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 pm

so....I have to convert some old drag racing footage to AVI so I can intercut some of the footage with an interview I did with the guy that was doing the racing back in the day.
I need something that is going to be able to take his DVDs that he had tranferred from 8mm and get them on to my computer in AVI format.
So this way I will be able to show the old 8mm footage while he is talking in the background.
What programs have you found to be EASY to use and Do what they are supposed to do?

THANKS
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Transfer DVD to AVI - what do you use?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:48 am

Premiere Elements will do a good job of it. Just open a project using the settings for a Hard Disk Camcorder and add your DVD footage to its timeline. Then use Share/Computer/AVI (or, in older versions of the program, File/Export/Movie) to output your DV-AVI.

Other than that, MPEG Streamclip is probably the best conversion program -- although it does require you to purchase a component from Apple for $19.

As I say in our book: MPEG Streamclip (free at http://www.squared5.com ) is a great tool for easily converting MPEGs and VOB files (DVD video files). To use it, open the file with MPEG Streamclip and then open the AVI/DivX Exporter window from File/Export to AVI.

For Compression select the Apple DV/DVPRO_NTSC (or DV PAL, if appropriate) codec.
For Field Order select Lower Field First.
Change the default sound settings from MPEG Layer 3 to Uncompressed.

If you have widescreen footage click on the Options at the top right. Leave the Scan Mode as is but change the Aspect Ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.
If you would like to save these settings, click on the Presets button at the bottom left then click on the New button to name and save your settings. The next time you run MPEG Streamclip, you can go directly to the Presets button and Load your saved settings.

Click on “Make AVI” and choose a folder and filename for your DV-AVI file.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 am

With version 10 you could import the DVD footage into a Premiere Elements project (like Steve explains above) along with your interview footage, no need to convert anything really ;)

This should actually work with version 4 also, Get Media From DVD, then select the VOB files and import into your interview project. If your interview footage is widescreen use that as your project preset, you can adjust the DVD footage however you want.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:44 am

Although, because DVD video uses upper field first interlacing and most DV uses lower field first, I would recommend you convert the video first to DV-AVIs, as I indicated above, or use it in a project set up for Hard Disk Camcorder video. Otherwise, the video you output would likely have fluttering issues.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:41 am

If you have a Pyro Link or Canopus digital converter you could capture the DVDs like you would a tape.
Or if your camcorder has pass through it would work that way too, then you can capture the DVDs directly to AVI format using Premiere Elements. Just need to be able to connect a DVD player to your camcorder or a digital converter box.

I've never had any issues with adding video from a DVD to standard definition project myself.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:19 am

thanks....i will try what steve suggests and hope to get this thing to work!
I know I need to upgrade - just dont have the $$$
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Prior Versions