They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

News ticker effect at bottom of video

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

News ticker effect at bottom of video

Postby k2np818 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 am

Can you create a News Ticker effect using PE4? If so, where can I find instructions on how to do so?
I have a project to create a video for a "tukey bowl" fund raiser benefit event and want to scroll some "news" accross the bottom of video that will be taken of the event. All in fun of course.

I think it can be done but I can't figure out how to do it.......

Any guidenace you can provide would be appreciated.

Ken
k2np818

Re: News ticker effect at bottom of video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:55 am

In the Titles workspace, you can create a scroll effect for your text. But there's a limit to how long your text can run.

You can also create the text as a title and use keyframing to animate its movement across your screen. But even then, you can only make it so long.

How long is the text you want to scroll? It's not possible to create a continuous running scroll across your screen in Premiere Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:55 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:.....But there's a limit to how long your text can run.....It's not possible to create a continuous running scroll across your screen in Premiere Elements.

Steve is right on this point but it is possible to create a workaround.

If you make more than one instance of the effect that you seek and use multiple video tracks and judicious keyframing, opacity control, etc. you can create the effect of a long and continuous news ticker lower third with scrolling title.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:34 pm

To do this In Premiere Elements, you would create a crawl title -- crawl titles scroll horizontally.

In PRE, create a default still title like you would normally do and bring up the Roll/Crawl Options (Title>Roll/Crawl Options from the menu or click the button in the Title Properties panel). Select "Crawl" for the title type and "Crawl left" for the direction. Leave the timing options at 0 and the start and stop offscreen boxes unchecked. Click OK. Notice that the Title preview window now has a horizontal scrollbar. Go ahead and delete the default text. With the text tool selected, position the cursor to where you want the news ticker to begin and click to create a text line. Set the font and size. You can now type your "news" text. The text area will scroll automatically as needed. Verify that the text is positioned correctly by dragging the horizontal scroll bar all the way to the left and back all the way to the right. Adjust the position of the text if necessary.

After the crawling title has been created, move it to the correct position and adjust the length of the title to control the speed of the crawl. If the title is too long timewise, you can't split the title to shorten it. You can either edit the title and remove the excess text, or you can overlay the existing title with other video.

I don't know what the limit is for the amount of text in a title, it's a lot and I've always been able to add what I needed. But, should you reach a limit. Create a second crawling title and place it on the next video track up from the other and position it to match the scrolling.
Bob

Postby k2np818 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. It pointed and guided me in the right direction. I am working on a prototype/concept and exepct to show it to the event sponsors the end of next week. If I move forward with it I will post my video for you to see.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Ken
k2np818

Return to Prior Versions