They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pointing Prem4 to PE9 organizer

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Pointing Prem4 to PE9 organizer

Postby gail spiro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:52 pm

ok- I've installed PE9 and PREM 9 and given them a good try. I can live with the PE 9 organizer and editor, but I don't think I can use PRem 9- it's awful! It is so slow and doesn't seem to allow titling without completely giving me a nervous breakdown. It insists on a rendering every two seconds- all in all, I can't stand it. So- I fear I have to go back to Prem 4.
Here is my question-
Is there a way to point my prem4 to the PE9 organizer so I don't have to redo all the work of loading everything back into PE6's orgaizer?
Thanks-
A VERY frustrated editor!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Pointing Prem4 to PE9 organizer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

You should be able to select which catalog the Organizer uses from, I believe, the File menu.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with version 9.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it onto your computer? When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

Are you seeing red lines above the clips on your timeline even before you add effects to them?

Version 10 made great improvements on version 9's performance -- but version 9 shouldn't be that much of a dog. Chances are it's just something minor.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:48 pm

You should be able to select which catalog the Organizer uses from, I believe, the File menu.

Unfortunately, catalog formats are not backwards compatible. The structure of the catalog and even the database engine used can change between versions. It's unlikely you will be able to use the PE9 Catalog in your older products.
Bob

Postby gail spiro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Steve- it's not a problem with a camcorder- I haven't even tried video footage yet- I've only been working with stills and titles. It's so uncooperative. The biggest problem is hard to describe but I'll try- when I go to do a playback, the timeline marer jumps around and doesn't do a decent playback unless I render every single time I do anything. Also, dragging clips onto the sceneline is difficult, (like a difficult child, they don't want to come when I call them); It seems so slugish. I don't know what's going on- I've never had trouble in Prem 4, and out of curiosity today- I opened it up to see how it was working, and it was fine- so it's obviously not a computer problem. I am so frustrated.
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Are you rendering whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline, Gail? If you press Enter whenever you see a red line above your clips, the red lines will turn green and your playback should be much smoother.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Steve, What about turning off background rendering? Wasn't that in version 9?
You have tips in your book for speeding things up I believe. Version 9 wasn't the fastest version anyway, 10 is so much better.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 am

I'll need to double-check, but I think background rendering was such a disaster in version 8 that they removed it in version 9. (It's definitely not in version 10.)

But if not, that's a great point, Chuck! Go to Edit/Preferences and uncheck the option for Background Rendering. It's really a very intrusive feature.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby gail spiro » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 pm

re "Are you rendering whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline, Gail? If you press Enter whenever you see a red line above your clips, the red lines will turn green and your playback should be much smoother."

I'm ready to pull my hair out! I've used PRe 4 successfully for aprox. 5 years. I've made complicated slideshows and movies- animated objects and done precise editing.
I know what rendering is and what the red line means. But I could work for quite a while in PRE 4 between "renders" with no problem- even when using the effects such as 3d that use a lot of memory.
Now, in PrE9, I can't even nudge a clip a tiny bit without having to render. If I put in a motion path, and then want to nudge the timing a tiny bit -gotta render. If I want to shorten a still frame a tiny bit- gotta render.
Each time I render takes a long time.
I can't begin to work like this. Could I be missing some basic "fix" that I never got? I can't believe anyone could make do with the problems I'm encountering. Can anyone PLEASE help? Perhaps someone who really knows how to help could e mail or call me? I'm desperate. I've already spent hours moving all my files from PE6 to PE9.

Thanks

Gail
216-218-6899
gspiro AT movingmemoriesphotography DOT net
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 am

I believe they did issue a fix for version 9, Gail. Go to Help/Check for Updates to ensure you have it.

Though, if you can afford the move, it may well be worth upgrading to version 10. It really is a return to the efficient performance of the earlier versions of the program -- and, in my experience, most of the rendering issues have been worked out. It's got to be worth $70 to avoid these headaches anyway, eh?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby gail spiro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 am

Absolutely worth is IF PRE10 really does work as well as 4. but reading reviews never led me to believe that 9 would be such a disaster- so I'm really reluctant to throw good money after bad.
Are you convinced that I would be able to get right back to work in 10? Becasue I have a bunch of big jobs and can't keep messing around.
I'd buy it today if you really were 100% certain I would be able to work as well as in 4!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:51 pm

gail spiro wrote:Absolutely worth is IF PRE10 really does work as well as 4. but reading reviews never led me to believe that 9 would be such a disaster- so I'm really reluctant to throw good money after bad.
Are you convinced that I would be able to get right back to work in 10? Becasue I have a bunch of big jobs and can't keep messing around.
I'd buy it today if you really were 100% certain I would be able to work as well as in 4!

Although I am extremely happy with the performance of PRE/PSE7 with my particular system, I still bought 8, 9 and 10, just to try them out. 8 was a disaster, so I requested a refund from Adobe. I liked some of the new features of PSE9, but PRE9 did not run well. I decided to keep the bundle for the occasional use of PSE9, but I still use PRE7 for the final edit of all my projects.

My experience with the 10 bundle is the same as with 9: I like the new features of PSE, but PRE does not run well. For example, the "head" portion of the CTI races along the timeline while the "body" portion lags behind.

Also, although I didn't get that far into either PRE8 or 9, I've read that there are some effects in my PRE7 that are lacking in the newer versions of PRE.

Suggestion: Download the trial versions of 10 before you make the leap. There is no need to uninstall PRE4.

P.S. I, too, was very enamored of PRE4: I even once posted that it might be the "holy grail." Note: If you like the 10 trial, then spend the few extra dollars to buy the bundle direcly from the Adobe store, for the following reason: If something subsequently turns up that make it unworkable for you, Adobe will issue a refund, and you don't need even to return the package to them. :like:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Note: If you like the 10 trial, then spend the few extra dollars to buy the bundle direcly from the Adobe store, for the following reason: If something subsequently turns up that make it unworkable for you, Adobe will issue a refund, and you don't need even to return the package to them. :like:

Actually, they'll issue a refund no matter what legitimate dealer it was purchased from - no return required. They just disable the registration. I did this with V8, which I purchased from Amazon. It does take a while for the check though.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby gail spiro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Well everyone- I just spent almost 2 hours with a very nice man in India in Adobe Support trying to get to the bottom of this.
He was able to take control of my computer and see the problem for himself, basically admitting that there was nothing he could do to help! I am so mad that I am about to scream! Here is a copy of a follow up report that I just wrote to Adobe concerning my phone call and situation...

"re Premiere elements 9 Case file: 182769780
I just got off the phone after a nearly 2 hour phone call with Jeet in Adobe Support. Jeet took control of my computer and patiently listened to my serious complaint. He was able to see the problem from his end and really tried to resolve it. However, there is no resolution and I am left with serious anger and frustration. What was "supposed" to be an upgrade from Premiere 4 to Premiere 9 has turned into a nightmare. I am a video slideshow producer. I have a small business working form home creating movies- usually for Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, etc. My shows, which I have always created in PRE 4 up to this point, are fairly complex and require precise editing and animation. I ALWAYS work on multi tracks.
My problem, in short, is that I can't make 1 single adjustment or tweak anything in 9 without having to render before viewing a playback. As you can imagine, this can be unbelievably frustrating and time consuming! In "4" I am able to work for long periods of time, even with the memory intensive effects such as 3D, without the need to render. This problem makes the PRE9 software virtually UNUSABLE for me. I am VERY UPSET and want a better resolution to this problem. Jeet's only advice, ultimately, was for me to render after every change. This is unacceptable. I make changes constantly until I am totally satisfied with the edit.
Unfortunately for me, in preparation for the upgrade to PRE9, which was purchased as a bundle with PE9, I deleted the contents of my PE6 organizer, and spent (literally) days uploading and tagging thousands of files into the PE9 organizer. Now I realize that PRE9 is useless to me, so I have to get rid of it and go back to PRE4, which has always worked really well. (Jeet saw this with his own eyes, as well, watching me edit a very complex multi-track file on "4".) Anyway, now I have to spend days getting PE6 ready again so I can go back to editing my slideshows and movies on PRE4. I am so disappointed in Adobe and feel that they should respond with some satisfactory resolution or compensation for my money and my time. I expect to hear from you soon.
Sincerely"

I give up, fellow Movipix friends. I am going to re-organize PE6 and go back to my old PRE4. This has been a very frustrating saga- I even have started to enjoy PE9- especially the mask feature.
I could cry- but I'm so behind in my work due :pull: to this situation that there's no time for tears! Goodbye PRE9. :pull:
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gail spiro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Oh- 1 more thing- Jeet checked on PRE10 and told me I'd have the same problems!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Actually, they'll issue a refund no matter what legitimate dealer it was purchased from - no return required. They just disable the registration. I did this with V8, which I purchased from Amazon. It does take a while for the check though.

That's what I thought, too, Dave, but then I read on the Adobe site that I should contact the retailer from whom I bought 10 if I want a refund.

But then, when I read Amazon's return policy for software, it stated that only unopened software is returnable.

In other words, once opened, it's ... :sold:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions