They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Video Clips

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Editing Video Clips

Postby Avsfan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Have just installed PE 4 and am working on editing 2 video/audio tracks into 1 of a school Christmas program. I have edited the 2 so that one plays and cut's over to the other video angle. I am wanting to move them onto the same track so that I can add a cross-over transition to the video. When I move the 1 video to the other track, it is "growing" such that it is moving the sound and inserting a blank area in the video. Looking at these 2 video tracks prior to moving them, they appear to be even on the ends, zooming in at the extreme to see.

Don't recall having this issue with PE 2, is there something different for V4?

Many thanks in advance for the help!
Avsfan
New User
New User

Re: Editing Video Clips

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 pm

I think I know what you're saying. When you move a clip from track 2 to track 1, it's inserting the clip and breaking your audio, right?

If so, two things you can try.

1) Hold down the Ctrl key as you move your clip. This will override the ripple feature so that no clips move except the one you're moving.

2) But that seems a bit like a hybrid solution to me. After all, is it really necessary to force the clips from track 2 onto track 1 just so that they can all be on the same track?

Rather than put them on the same track so you can add a cross-dissolve, leave them on two separate tracks and use a Fade In or Fade Out on the clip on track 2. The effect will be the same, since fades really just adjust the opacity. It will look just like a cross-dissolve between the two clips!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:21 pm

By the way, the easiest way to apply a Fade In or Out is to right-click on the clip and select the Fade In or Out from the right-click menu!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Avsfan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try with your suggestions.
Avsfan
New User
New User

Postby Avsfan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:27 pm

Steve, I don't want to have any totally dark piece to the transition, thus the reason why I was used to putting on 1 video track using a cross dissolve. Can I create the same without going totally dark using your method, which would definitely be far easier then having to move the clips around.

thanks again.
Avsfan
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:17 pm

Remember, you have to have a clip on track 1 UNDER the clip on track 2 so that, when the Fade In or Out on track 2 produces the opacity change, it will reveal the clips on track 1. Then you won't get any black. It will simply dissolve from track 2 to track 1 or back.

If you need to extend a clip on track 1 so that it goes under track 2, remember to hold down the Ctrl key as you do it so no other clips will move.

I think once you see what's going on with the Fade/Opacity change, you'll agree this is a much more efficient and effective way to than trying to squeeze everything into one track and putting transitions in.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Avsfan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:49 am

Very cool Steve! love the way this works and is definitely much easier then moving clips around. Thanks for the great site and all the valuable info!
Avsfan
New User
New User

Return to Prior Versions