They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help Please - Can't Login - iPad

Feedback, problems or suggestions related to our entire website.

Help Please - Can't Login - iPad

Postby Bobby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Ron, help please.

I guess I was either fooling around or not typing right, but now my login for the iPad non-flash muvipix has locked me out. Apparently I mis-typed it too many times and now it says in addition to entering my login ID and password, I have to type in one of those CAPTCHA things.

BUT, the CAPTCHA is not displayed and I wonder if it is in Flash! If so, obviously no-go.

So I need to somehow get it reset to log on again. Cookie? And even if so I don't know how to delete cookies in iPad Safari.

I would like to work with you if possible to improve the non-Flash UI, but can't get off the ground and get logged in right now!

TIA
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Help Please - Can't Login - iPad

Postby Ron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 pm

There's no Flash on the forum (other than the upper-left logo). Definitely sounds like a cookie problem, but I can't help you with Safari, never had the pleasure.

There's also a "Delete all board cookies" link on the index page. You can try that as well.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Deleting cookies here on my PC won't work - it works fine here. Just not on my iPad. I can't delete on my iPad because I can't log on!

If there is no flash here, then why can't I use the standard muivpix.com and log in as normal, as I would here on my PC? The only major limitation of Safari on the iPad, I thought, was the lack of Flash.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Ah. When I go to muvipix.com, everything looks as normal. But when I click on the Community link (muvipix.com/phpBB3), then it falls back into a more primitive UI.

But at least I can log on.

I do recall that you gave us a different URL for iPad use in another forum thread on mobile devices.. The difference is that that one goes to http://www.flexpat.com and that is the one where I can't log on. If I go to muvixpic.com and click on Community, I am logged on fine (it remembered me) but again the UI is primitive.

What is going on? Why doesn't the iPad Safari browser show the same UI as I am using here on my PC? What is the difference between the link for Community vs. the URL you gave us? If the iPad has a full browser and screen (minus Flash of course) why do I need to go to a different URL for mobiles? Confused...

Thanks...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Apparently I mis-typed it too many times and now it says in addition to entering my login ID and password, I have to type in one of those CAPTCHA things.

Bobby,
I had a very similar (maybe the same) problem on my Android smartphone (a Droid X). Got a similar message about need to do a CAPTCHA but the CAPTCHA failed to display in the browser of my phone. Clearing cookies and Cache on the phone browser did not help.

What I think resolved the problem for me was to
go to a PC where I had not checked the option to automatically log myself in for muvipix, do a login and the CAPTCHA was displayed and I entered the values in the box. Login to muvipix forum was successful on the PC.

Then I was able to go back to the Droid X, and login to the muvipix forum successfully.

Ron,
I noticed that the url that I have in the Favorites on my Droid X is --
http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

Should I have a different url for accessing from the Android phone?

Bobby and Ron,
My Droid X did not initially have Flash capability (Android 2.1), but recently my phone updated automatically to Android 2.2 which does have Flash support. However, the dates are so close that I am not certain about Flash at the time I had the CAPTCHA problem.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 am

Thanks Barb - that did it! I would never have thought of that procedure!

Now to understand why the screen looks different.

In another forum, Ed mentioned using the Atomic browser for iPad instead. That browser has the ability to spoof other browsers by setting the UserAgent string to make the browser respond as a different one - i.e. Firefox, etc. I may try it after some research.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 am

Yes the Atomic browser worked! I set it to spoof Firefox and now muvipix forum displays correctly.

Thanks Ed!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 am

Bobby wrote:Deleting cookies here on my PC won't work - it works fine here. Just not on my iPad. I can't delete on my iPad because I can't log on!

If there is no flash here, then why can't I use the standard muivpix.com and log in as normal, as I would here on my PC? The only major limitation of Safari on the iPad, I thought, was the lack of Flash.

"Deleting all board cookies" deletes the information stored in the database (server-side) for a specific login (persistence). This is how the forum knows you no matter what computer you login with :)

Conversely, deleting your locally stored cookies can solve problems like this. Sometimes just a difference in cookie appearance (...phpBB3/index.php vs. ...phpBB3/ vs. ...phpBB3 - [lacking a slash]) can cause cookie havoc.

I have to say that the "mobile" style options are still technically in "Beta" status as I haven't had a chance to streamline/test them extensively yet. If they're all of a sudden failing for some reason, it may be because they've been updated (just a guess) out there, which breaks it locally here because I haven't updated anything lately. For most mobile devices, the forum will automatically sense what device you have. The few sub-domain choices are a bit antiquated, but may work better for you if the auto-detect doesn't work.

In any event, thanks for the reports and details, it helps immensely in my troubleshooting.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks Ron. All well now FYI using Atomic and spoofing Firefox.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to muvipix.com Suggestions