They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editor problem with Chrome

Feedback, problems or suggestions related to our entire website.

Editor problem with Chrome

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 pm

After approaching Ron with this issue, he suggested that I post it here to see if anyone else has experienced it or can reproduce it. I’ve seen this in just the past few days on both my desktop and laptop machines, so I don’t think it’s related to a particular computer. It also only happens with Google Chrome, not in IE. I quit using Firefox so don't know about it. So I suspect that either a Chrome update or Windows update may be the culprit, although it’s worth mentioning that my desktop is Win 7 and my laptop is Win 8.

I often have need to switch tabs for one reason or another while I’m typing a reply or starting a new topic - for example to look up a name or model number or other information. When I switch back to the editor there are large blank blocks covering much of the page, often blanking out text or buttons. Clicking anywhere on the page, even just moving the cursor across the page, seems to bring everything back. I’ve attached a screen cap for your inspection. Note that the Posted Attachments section and the Save draft, Preview, and Submit buttons have disappeared.

As I said to Ron, since it's so easy to solve and there's no data lost, it's probably a non-issue.

Chrome editor issue.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Editor problem with Chrome

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Sorry, Dave. I'm on Chrome on Windows 7 64-bit and I'm not seeing any of that.

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Chrome -- as well as the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Almost looks like a screen refresh issue.

Does it happen when you only have Chrome open or when you're also running another program?

EDIT:
Actually, Dave, it DOES happen when I go to another tab, do a search and then come back to the editor on this site. It only last a second, though, before the page finishes filling in.

It's definitely a screen refresh issue -- but it's more likely related to something in the browser rather than something on our site.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:50 pm

I would agree, Steve. Just for kicks I tried the same test with two other forums that I read and couldn't reproduce it. Not blaming Muvipix...there are a lot of variables here. Yes, my drives are up to date and Chrome is the latest version. It doesn't matter if I have other programs open or not.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Kent Frost » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 pm

I haven't had that exact issue, but Chrome in general has been very buggy for me lately, probably the last week or two. On the net in general, I have a lag in the things I type. It'll stall on the last letter of every word until I make another move (mouse or type). Same with backspacing, there's a 1-second lag that really messes me up while typing. On Muvipix, however, whenever I go to the full editor page, the entire page glitches out, and I mean epilepsy levels of glitching. Don't have much time this evening, but if I get a minute tomorrow I may video record the screen so I can post and show you. It's crazy.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Peru » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Actually, Dave, it DOES happen when I go to another tab, do a search and then come back to the editor on this site. It only last a second, though, before the page finishes filling in.

It's the same for me.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:38 am

Yes, it will clear as soon as you move the mouse from the tab to the editing area, or start typing. This is what I was trying to say. It's not that it's a big deal, just that I've never seen it act like this before and was trying to figure out the cause. It's certainly not worthy of anyone spending any troubleshooting time. I only contacted Ron because he was the website tech contact point and I figured if anyone else had mentioned it he would have heard about it. Personally I think it's likely due to a recent update in either Chrome or Windows. Not sure why I'm only seeing it on Muvipix. Chances are that it would also happen on other sites if I had a large enough sample.

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Dave McElderry wrote: Personally I think it's likely due to a recent update in either Chrome or Windows.

It's not a Windows update because I haven't updated Windows in over a year on this machine.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Peru wrote:It's not a Windows update because I haven't updated Windows in over a year on this machine.

That makes sense, especially since I'm seeing it on both Win 7 and Win 8.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Not sure if it is related but I have uninstalled Chrome. Once upon a time it was installed and made some change that made my Premiere program not work. Needless to say I am not a fan.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to muvipix.com Suggestions