They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help! Having cropping issues

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Help! Having cropping issues

Postby kdrainstorm » Mon May 16, 2011 12:31 am

Hi, everyone! Hope someone can help me (again) with another PE7 issue...

I'm working on a small video segment that has 3 MOVs in it (yes, I know - I should be working with AVIs, but the footage I got was in MOVs and I was too lazy to convert.), but anyway...on 2 of the clips, I applied the crop effect on all sides just to create a white border around the clip (there is a white matte on the video track below) - so it looks like a photo snapshot. On the 3rd clip, I applied the same cropping effect but also scaled the clip up to zoom in. That is the only difference. But, when I exported the video to HD 720p 30 using the MPEG option in Share, the resulting MPEG shows that the 2 videos with just the crop effect is cropped in half! Mainly only the top left-hand part of the clip is showing while the rest is the white matte. However, the clip that I cropped and scaled up is fine.

I checked to make sure I didn't accidently applied the crop effect more than once (nope) and tried deleting then re-inserting the clips and re-applying the crop effect and it still comes out the same. Just to check and see if it was the crop effect that is causing the issue, I removed the crop effect and exported it and then the clip showed fine. So, so far - it seems the crop effect is causing this issue.

This is for an important video project for work due this Thursday so ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated! - :tx:
kdrainstorm
New User
New User

Re: Help! Having cropping issues

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon May 16, 2011 1:56 am

Try saving the output file as an .avi first. Does that make a difference? If so, you can then open that saved .avi and re-output as an mpg.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 am

I get the same strange results. But using the Clip effect works correctly, and it eliminates the need for a separate matte because the Clip effect has a color fill option.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 16, 2011 10:54 am

We have a free tutorial here at Muvipix on how to use the Clip and Crop effects :)
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kdrainstorm » Mon May 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the help! I will try all these things and let you know!

FYI - What I did to get around this weird issue was basically removed all the effects from the 2 clips and copied/pasted the attributes from the unaffected clip and that worked. Granted, I had to accept the scaled up effect also, but it's something I can live with. :fg:

Thanks, again!
kdrainstorm
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 7