They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

NEW COMPUTER

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

NEW COMPUTER

Postby Cope This 719 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 pm

I am in the market for a new computer. I would like to get the most up to date future-proof one that money can buy. I have had a look at the "VideoGuys" recommendations but these are for the old Inteli7 chip. Since then the Sandy Bridge has come out which changes things. I was thinking in terms of an Intel i7 a suitable mother-board, 12 gig of tri channel Ram a graphics card similar to Sapphire AMD 1Gb HD6870.

The Videoguys don't like SSD for Boot up but isn't that the main purpose as far as shorter book up time are concerned. Or is it better to place the SSD as data drives.

Thanking you in advance John
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GH, Corsair SSD 120 GB Drive x 2, Corsair Vengeance 16GB Ram, Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, Internal Memory 2 TB x 2
Zotac GeForce GTX 570, LG Blue Ray Read / Write, External 1TB Drive x2.
Cope This 719

Re: NEW COMPUTER

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:09 am

Cope This 719 wrote:....The Videoguys don't like SSD for Boot up but isn't that the main purpose as far as shorter book up time are concerned. Or is it better to place the SSD as data drives.

Wow! To even contemplate an SSD as a data drive, taking into account current pricing.........even ignoring the UK's 20% VAT (sales tax)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/480gb-oc ... -120k-iops
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:41 am

It's not that the videoguys don't like SSDs, they don't like the high cost and limited capacity. They feel a conventional 10,000 rpm drive is a more economical way to go for the boot drive.

I would like to get the most up to date future-proof one that money can buy.

The "future proof" part will be the most difficult criteria. Intel is releasing its new chip architectures in approximately yearly intervals now. And, of course, each one uses a different cpu socket and supporting chip set meaning your motherboard has a finite and short life span before it becomes obsolete. You just can't go around swapping out the old processor for the latest and greatest like you used to be able to do. If you get a high end system and want to keep up, you'll need to plan on replacing your motherboard every year and a half to two years.
Bob

Postby Kitwn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 am

I recently read a magazine article suggesting using a SSD purely for the operating system with a HDD for all other software plus video source files and a second HDD for the scratch files used by the video editing package.

For many of us this upgrade could be achieved for the cost of a relatively small (say 60GB) SSD drive. Plus a few hours sorting out the software!

Does this make sense for getting maximum performance from a given CPU, memory etc?

kit
Moderation in all things. Including moderation itself.
Kitwn

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 am

My C: drive is a 150Gb WD Raptor. I have on it only program files and the opsys (Win 7 Pro 64 bit) and the page file. I do not use it for data. But it shows that I have 59Gb of the 139 available already used. So a 60Gb SSD looks like a tight fit.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to PRE Version 7