They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Class Photos

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Class Photos

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:35 am

Hi Guys,
I have about 6 black & white class photos that I need in my project. What I want to do is to highlight a certain person in each, but only for a couple of secs, once the photo has been on the timeline first for a short time.
What would be the best way to achieve that.
Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Also would it be best to stay with the one effect through each of it, or vary it around
I have thought of the lens flare or spotlight but that does not seem like the right approach.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bubby Grub

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Class Photos

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 am

Many ways to do this. Here's what I would try. Create a slightly opaque transparency with a clear, feathered edge hole. If you are not too sure how to do this search Google for something like "Creating a vignette in Photoshop..tutorial." or something similar.

Import that into your project and place it on a track above the photos then use keyframes to place the hole over the appropriate person and keyframe a fade in/out.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 am

I also give you step-by-step instructions for creating a face highlight in my book "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Adobe Premiere Elements."
http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

In fact, I think the sample chapter we have posted on the product page includes those instructions.

If you like it, maybe Santa will bring you the entire book for Christmas!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for the help.
Yes Steve have found the instructions, it is early morning here, so will follow the instructions later on today and let you know how I get on.
And yes would love Santa to bring me this for Xmas. As a matter of fact Santa asked is is possible for us to order the book
and as we will be in the US actually Anaheim for 9 weeks from the 6th February 2011 could we have it sent there, they know us well there at the hotel.
We are part of the furniture so too speak.
If so how to do we go about ordering the book.
Thanks again
Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Steve,
Just clicked onto your link, and it looks like I order it through Amazon. Is this correct?
If so, no problems as we have an account with them.
Thanks again for the help.
Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Not Steve, but, yes, you order through Amazon. The book qualifies for the free Super Saver Shipping. That won't take long to reach you, you might as well just ship it to your home.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks Bob.
I'll order it just before we leave for Anaheim, CA. I saw on the site that it does qualify for free shipping, but unfortunately that does not apply to Australia.
On many DVDs we buy through Amazon the shipping to here is very cheap, but we get things sent to our hotel in Anaheim and seeing we have been staying at the same
hotel for the past 30 years, they know us very well, and always look after any deliveries for us until we arrive.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 pm

The Australia part slipped my mind. Yes, shipping to Anaheim does make sense.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 am

Hi Guys,
First of all I have ordered your book Steve. decided to get it sent to AUS, instead of Anaheim as ordered some DVD's from Amazon, so figured I may as well get the book at the same time, instead of waiting until Feb.

Now to my problem, I tried the effect you highlighted Steve, strange thing it works like a dream outside of my present project not a problem, but the moment I try it in the project I want the pic to be - NO GO, at this stage cannot figure out why.
I had my other half Little Nac try it in his project and it did not work there either. But he tried it in a blank project and it also worked like a dream.
I am sure I must be missig something but at this stage I have no idea what, when it works in a blank project.
Will keep playing around with it, but any help would be oh so much appreciated.
This project is Part One of something I am doing for my sister-in-law in memory of my brother, and was hoping to get it to her by Xmas, so as I said any help will be greatly accepted.
Thanks in advance
Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 am

Hi Again

I may have discovered something, can anyone tell me if I am on the right track.
This particular project has XXX Amount of Tracks, and I thought what if I tried the effect on a couple of tracks way above anything else
and it worked.
Question, is the effect a problem if there is other pics, video etc on those tracks.
Sorry if I sound an idiot but forgive I am still learning.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Bubby Grub

Add On:
Just tried the same effect on tracks way above and added various different things just to try and what ever I did worked like a dream.
Came up with the idea of grouping and moving them to the spot where I wanted it, but the same problem arose.
I have come to the conclusion the tracks are the problem. Am I right?
Cheers

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 am

Track matte key in Premiere Elements is known to be fragile. Moving the relative positions of the two tracks involved can cause the effect to stop working. And, in some cases, you may need to start a new project to get it working again. If you need to move either of those tracks, it's best to remove the track matte key effect first and then apply it again afterwards.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:12 am

Hi Bob,
Follow what you mean, but my idea of moving the tracks grouped was to see if the effect I created miles away from the position I really want the effect was to see if it would work that way.
Because as I said previously positioning the tracks exactly where I wanted them then applying the effect it would not work, but if I created it either in a new project or miles away it worked perfectly.
So what I am trying to say is it seems that because I have already XXXX amount of tracks, now doing this particular effect in the right position does not work.
Hope that does not sound double dutch so speak, but it is the only way I know to explain the problem.
Thanks once again
Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi Guys
I take it that there is no solution to this particular problem with the track mattee, if you have XXXX amount of tracks, the effect does not want to work, minus all the tracks works like a dream.
I have mucked about with this for a while but can come up with nothing, even resorted to trying it on different computers, as the computer I was using at the time with a fairly involved project was
only a dual core, but have now recently tried it on my I7, but no difference. My husband has tried it to and has come to the same conclusion.

The problem I would be worried about in future is even if I used that effect early in a project, but then say further down the track had to have more tracks would the track mattee effect made in beginning be thrown out.
Thanks again for all help

Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:53 pm

I do know that the Track Matte effect is a very fussy little thing. If you get it working and then make any changes at all it quits.

I handle this in the following way;
When needing to use a track matte key I will create a new project and just do the track matte stuff there.
Then I will export the completed effect and import that into my main project. I generally will have 4 - 6 mini projects going on at the same time while I am working on the main project, this is one reason.

Premiere Pro does not have this problem by the way, you can always create the track matte portion in a new sequence or in a nested sequence and that makes it a lot easier to work with. But the little side project in Premiere Elements works fine too :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi Chuck
Just did a mini test run, and yes that worked perfectly.
That sounds a good work around. Thanks so much for the help
Have a Great Xmas and Happy New Year
Cheers
Bubby Grub

Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 7