They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

converting mpegs to dvd

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

converting mpegs to dvd

Postby banatone » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Hello all,
I created a PE project with video taken with my Sony Camcorder. I used the "Hard Disk, Flash Memeory Camcorder" project setting, as these files are mpegs, as opposed to avi, with a wide screen setting. The project is appox 4 GB. It looked great on in PE7. It took a couple of hours to burn to dvd. When I tried to view it, it started out fine for the first few segments, then it jumped from one segment to another, then froze in some places and would not continue.

I have Steve's book, The Muvipix.com guide to Photoshop Elements 7 and Premier Elements 7 (my BIBLE!) and per his suggestion, I created a "pure" AVI project by clicking on the timeline, then went to File/Export/Movie to create an AVI of the entire project. I then deleted all the original video and put the converted AVI on the timeline, and Saved As a new copy. It played perfectly in PE7.

I burned it to dvd, which burned faster than the original burn. But when I played it on my DVD player, the movie was jumpy all over. Made for a dizzy viewing.

Is there a way to fix this, other than starting all over and converting the video to AVI before I start? (Mind you, I spent 2 months on this project--most of the video had to be cleaned up, re colored, brightened and sound adjusted) PLEASE DON'T TELL ME I HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH!! :( [-o<
banatone
New User
New User

Re: converting mpegs to dvd

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:30 am

Some suggestions.

Try burning the image to a folder instead of directly to a DVD then use ImgBurn to create the DVD.

Also what DVD media are you using? The quality varies enormously between brands. Verbatim and Yayo Yuden (sp) are both recommended.

To avoid producing many coasters use a re-writable DVD to check the disc on your DVD player before writing to the final disc.

Final point. DVD-R discs are the most widely compatible; some players have trouble playing DVD+R discs.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:34 am

Glad you're finding the book useful, banatone!

To a point, it sounds like you did it exactly right. You created a project using the Hard Drive Camcorder preset and then loaded your MPEG into it and then used Share to export it as an AVI.

Here's the step I think you forgot: Start a NEW project and make sure this is uses the DV project preset! Put the AVI on that timeline and output your DVD and it should look perfect.

Here's what's going on. When you set up your project with the Hard Drive preset, it assumed you were using an MPEG as your source footage -- so it reversed the interlacing (as it should). BUT when you then took the AVI (which has the correct interlacing) was put back in that same project, the interlacing was reversed again, which mad it wrong! Make sense? That trembling you're seeing is the result of the interlacing being improperly reversed.

So, when you open a new project and this time use the DV preset, the program knows NOT to reverse the interlacing. When you put your AVI in, the program will leave the interlacing as is and your DVD will output flawlessly!

At least that's what it sounds like, based on your description. You need two projects: One (set up for Hard Drive Camcorders) to convert your MPEG to an AVI, and a second (set up for DV) to turn your AVI into a DVD.

Make sense?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby banatone » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did as you suggested. I created a new project with DV project preset, upper field first. I burned a dvd and the problem still remains--lots of fluttering. I also tried to burn the original file (the non convert to avi) to a folder. It plays fine when I play it on the computer, no fluttering, but not on my dvd player. My dvd player cannot read the disk.

When I put a blank disk in my computer (I have Windows 7), a window comes up that asks me if I want to burn a dvd, and that is what I used to burn the folder to the dvd. I even tried opening the folder, and burning just the files, and that didn't work.

I used a memorex DVD+RW. I have used them on all my projects and have not had a problem, but I picked up some Verbatim DVD-R to try, as per John's suggestion, but I want to wait to your reply before I try another copy

(when should I start crying??) [-o< :pull:
banatone
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 pm

The fact that it plays fine on your computer but not in your DVD player does seem to indicate that the problem is with the disc.

Go to Share/To Disc and select the option to burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive. Then use your computer's DVD burner software to burn just the VIDEO_TS folder the program creates to a discs. If you can control your DVD burner's write speed, keep it below 4x.

Give one of your Verbatim discs a try. If your DVD player is still having trouble with it, ask a friend if you can try it on his or hers. And, of course, confirm that you can play the DVD okay on your computer. Believe me, if you've got an interlacing issue, it's going to flutter like crazy on your computer as well as your DVD player!

It appears, from your description, that you're successfully creating good DVD files. But, for some reason, your DVD player isn't playing them right.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby banatone » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 pm

I tried with the verbatim disk, and I still get the error message on my dvd player. We have 3 in my home and it will not play on any of them. SO, I decided to try something else in the mean time.

I converted few of the original MPG clips to Avi files with a free trial of Prism video file converter and created a new PE project with the DV widescreen presets. I imported the clips into PE and put them on the time line. When I tried to render the clips, I received an error message "error compiling movie. Unknown error." and the rendering stopped. Help!!
banatone
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:25 am

banatone wrote:....I converted few of the original MPG clips to Avi files with a free trial of Prism video file converter.....

Try using VirtualDub (free) to convert the files to .avi format.

http://www.virtualdub.org/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby banatone » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:03 pm

I downloaded VirtualDub, went to File-Open and clicked on one of the MPG clips, then I got this error message"MPEG import filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 stream--It would not open any of my original files taken off my camera. :pull:

I also thought I would try starting from scratch. I opened a new PE project with the "hard disk flash memory presets (widescreen), the put 4 original MPG file clips on the time line to test. I created a "pure" AVI project by clicking on the timeline, then went to File/Export/Movie to create an AVI of the small test project.

I then went into the folder where I put the avi, and clicked on it to view it in my computer's video viewer, and it is fluttering like crazy! I am at my wit's end!! :pull:
banatone
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:10 pm

There is no reason this should be happening, Banatone. So it's likely there's something wrong in your workflow somewhere.

Can you post a WMV or an MOV of your projects to our Gallery so we can have a look? Maybe we're misunderstanding what you're calling fluttering.

Post a WMV output from your first project, the one you put the MPEG in.

Then post another from the second project, the one you put the AVI in.

I'm sure once we're able to see it, we'll have a better idea what's happening.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby banatone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. To put it in the format you requested, do I go to File/Export movie/Settings? If so, what setting should I choose? If not, How do I get it in the format required to upload to the gallery?

Thankx!
banatone
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:25 pm

Go to Share/Computer/WMV. Then use the Cable Modem preset.

Thanks, banatone!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby banatone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Steve,

Can you run that by me again, please? When I go to Share/Personal Computer, the only 3 options I have are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and DV AVI. and then "Save" in a folder on my computer.

The options I have inn the File/Export/Movie,Settings tab, do not list WMV file.
banatone
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:33 pm

When I go to Share/Personal Computer, the only 3 options I have are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and DV AVI. and then "Save" in a folder on my computer

A lot of people miss this. Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and DV AVI are the first 3 items in a scrollable list. Scroll the list down and you will see Windows media (which is WMV).

share_wmv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby banatone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:10 pm

LOL!!! My only weak excuse for my Brain Deadness is that it is 11:00 PM and I have to go to work tomorrow!! #-o I will get the files converted and uploaded, hopefully tomorrow nite, and let you know. Thank you for your help and patience!! :-D
banatone
New User
New User

Postby banatone » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm back.

I am having a problem uploading the files. I created an album, on the Upload File page, I used the browse button to locate and select my file. I clicked on continue and waited for the loading to stop. When I clicked Continue, it said 0 files have been uploaded. The file I am trying to load is a WMV file that is 257 MB. I am thinking that it may be too big? The project is 1 hour and 9 minutes.
banatone
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 7