They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Should I Be Scared?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Should I Be Scared?

Postby NuffRespeck » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Of late, whenever I import still images from an external harddrive; the images appear upside-down in the Tasks Panel. These images also appear in this position when dragged to the TimeLine. On occasion, they are not visible on the TimeLine but will appear in the Monitor with the proper perspective. Should I be overly concerned with this? Is my world as I know it coming to an end? 8-[ 8-[ Any input in which I can find solace will be most welcomed!! [-o< [-o< [-o<
NuffRespeck

Re: Should I Be Scared?

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Fear Not. :-D Out of curiosity, where are you getting the jpegs from? I am assuming they are jpegs. Also, how do you get them off the capture device (camera) on to your hard drive?

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby NuffRespeck » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:48 pm

The images were d-loaded from a Canon Rebel XS (JPEGS) to a Seagate FreeAgent 465G external hard drive. They were d-loaded via a card reader to the harddrive. What is unusual,is that not all the images are upside down and that this phenomenon has just recently begun. As I indicated the images appear normal in the Monitor but not in the Tasks Panel or on the TimeLine. Thanks for checking this out for me.!!!
NuffRespeck

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Would it be possible to post a picture that exhibits the correct behavior and one that does not? Also, does this happen in the same shooting outing? What I am thinking is that the Canon has an orientation sensor in the camera. It tells if the camera is in landscape or portrait position. It embeds that info into the JPeg so that imaging software, like PhotoShop and others can display the image in the proper orientation. If the orientation bit is being set incorrectly, it could provide a lead.

Also, have you loaded any of the utilities that Canon ships with the camera? In particular, I am looking for the software, I believe it is ZoomBrowser. ZoomBrowser I believe will show you all of the info embedded in the Exif of the JPEG. I do not have it in front of me, but I believe it will show the orientation along with things like what focus point was used in the shot.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:17 am

This comes up from time to time, usually with Canon cameras. I don't recall that anyone has found a definitive answer as to precisely what's causing it. But, orientation metadata written by the camera and embedded in the file may be involved. It sounds like you are also using the full size images from the camera and not resizing them. In earlier versions of PrE, such large files could also cause problems including black images.

If you aren't resizing the files to a smaller size appropriate to their use in your project, you might try doing that.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 7