They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Knowing and Using Transitions Efficiently

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Knowing and Using Transitions Efficiently

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:59 pm

When creating a "music video" (slide show set to music), I like to select the transitions in such as way that the particular transition "goes with" the music at that particular point on the Timeline. For example, if the music begins to fade off into the distance, I might like to use one of the many transitions in PRE7 that will make the next image also fade, or get smaller, or some variation of the two.

Problem is, "hovering" my cursor does not always give clear information as to how a particular transition would appear in an actual slide show. In addition, there are many that I never use, and I hate taking the time to scroll them all. Wouldn't it be nice if one could see only those transitions that one likes and that one would want to use regularly in one's creations?

Here is the method that I used to "learn" and "set aside for future use" only those transitions that I like.

--create a 2-slide slide show in PSE7 by selecting any 2 photos in your Organizer; in the Slide Show Preferences dialog, make the slide and transitions each 5 seconds duration; select the Slide Left transition
--Send to Premiere Elements your slide show
--note the on the PRE Timeline, the two transitions are both in the "tail" position, that is, attached to the end of the slide
--in the Edit pane, click Transitions>Show All
--starting with the top-left transition drag it onto the two transitions that PSE has placed at the end of your first and second slides, then play the slide show from the beginning and watch the transition play for 5 seconds two times
--if you like that transition, right-click it in the Transitions pane and select add to favorites
--continue this procedure until you have dragged all the Transitions in the Transitions Show All dropdown onto your slides

Now, whenever you wish to create a slide show or video and you are ready to add transitions, always select Favorites instead of Show All, and what you will see are only those transitions that you like.*
_____
*If you are a member of Photoshop.com, remeber to periodically peruse the Transitions Show All option as Adobe may have added some that you would like to add to your Favorites.

:TU:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Knowing and Using Transitions Efficiently

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Another gem, George. Thank you!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7