They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A Method for Burning a Blu-ray Movie to Folder

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

A Method for Burning a Blu-ray Movie to Folder

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Until I fathom how to get the Phantom Drive to allow me to burn a Blu-ray disk to folder, here is my workaround, using the
software that came with my LG Blu-ray disk burner (and which I updated as instructed during the installation process).

The CyberLink software offers all the following options:

Watch SD and HD (both HD and Blu-ray) DVD movies
Burn Data Files to Disk/Format a Disk
Burn or Rip Music
Burn video/photos to disk
Edit video/photo files
Create a slide show
Burn a DVD folder
Copy data disks or backup/restore one's HDD
Create a Disk Image
Burn a Disk Image
Erase a Disk

Here is what I do:

I burn the Pre 7 Timeline to a Blu-ray disk (BD-R)
I play the disk from start to finish to be sure it is flawless
I create a disk image of that disk on my HDD using Create a Disk Image
I burn the disk image to a second Blu-ray blank disk using Burn a Disk Image (4x speed, "Verify Recorded Data" turned off)
I play this second disk from start to finish to be sure it is flawless
I contine to insert disks as requested by the software until the burn is complete

Here are the relevant times, for my 40-minute video:

Create Disk Image: 8 minutes 22 seconds
Burn a Disk Image: 6 minutes 44 seconds (can be programmed for up to 99 copies)

However: If you know when you've completed your movie on the Timeline that you will need multiple copies of your DVD,my opinion is that
the optimal time to make them is during your first burn in Pre 7, and here is how to do it: Set the number of copies as desired (maximum 100),
then wait for the program to output the first copy. BEFORE inserting your next blank disk, play the just-outputted copy on
another Blu-ray player from start to finish to make sure you are COMPLETELY happy with it. If you are, then continue inserting disks
as requested by Pre 7 until the job is complete. If you are not satisfied with that first disk, simply cancel the job and re-edit your
Timeline as necessary. The reason I prefer this method when I know I will need lots of copies is that, to my eyes, the
above-described imaging process adds a tiny bit of undesirable contrast to the movie.

Note on the Phantom Drive and Virtual Disk: The best price I've seen yet on blank Blu-ray BD-R disks is about $7, so it may still be
worthwhile to create a Virtual Disk--IF you are confident that the output from the Phantom Drive is equivalent to what you will
get on your actual drive. The other option is to use a BD-RE (re-writable) disk for your first disk.

Personally, if I know I will be creating lots of copies, I prefer to use my real Blu-ray burner and a real BD-R first disk, so I
can be sure as possible how all the subsequent BD-R copies will look. Needless to say, I make sure that all the BD-Rs are by one
and the same manufacturer.

::c1::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: A Method for Burning a Blu-ray Movie to Folder

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Nice post, George!

I've taken the liberty of making this one a "sticky".
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I've taken the liberty of making this one a "sticky".

What is the purpose of a "sticky"?

How does one create one?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm kind of surprised that you can't burn to a "folder" with Phantom Drive. I've done it several times. What you are actually doing is burning to a virtual blu-ray disc on your hard drive. After you mount the virtual disk back in the virtual DVD player, you can access the entire file structure.

Oh, well.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:48 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:I've taken the liberty of making this one a "sticky".

What is the purpose of a "sticky"?
How does one create one?

A Sticky Post will always remain at the top of the forums list of topics, no matter how many posts come after it (except for other Stickys).
I think only Moderators have the ability to make various types of announcements like Stickys, Announcements, and things like that.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby pam009 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 am

I ripped a blu-ray movie via AnyDVD HD and used ImgBurn to burn it to my media. I used all the appropriate settings as described here and the burn was successful. Now when I load it into my PC Blu-Ray player, the movie reads and shows the Paramount’s Hi-Definition screen, and then after that screen it stops and nothing else pops up. I can’t get to the movies menu select screen or any other screen for that matter. I tried the disc in my Ps3 and the same happens. The paramount Hi-Definition screen plays and then the screen goes blank. I have no idea why this keeps happening and was wondering if any of you had any ideas or have had this happen to you. It just seems like it won’t access any additional chapters on the disc. Thanks for your help.

On a side note: I tried playing the m2ts files straight off my HD and they work. I also tried playing the m2ts files off the BD-RE disc via windows explorer and they also work! So the movie burned fine.
pam009
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:28 am

It could be that you used a poor quality disc. (Memorex are notorious iffy.) Or that you burned your disc at too fast a speed. Did ImgBurn verify your disc burn?

If the data is there (as you've confirmed) but the player can't play it, it's usually one of these two things. (Some burner software also discriminates between a playable disc and a data disc -- though I don't think ImgBurn does.)

Can you describe the steps you took in detail -- including your disc burn speed?

Welcome to Muvipix, by the way!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7