They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

First Day - 3 Crashes

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

First Day - 3 Crashes

Postby Bobby » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:33 am

So far, not so good for me with V7. I installed it on my new video processing PC that is super clean and has almost nothing on it except V4, which ran great.

V7 crashed at least 3 times. All of those while with working on .prel files created with V4 and very early (but not at the beginning) after each opened. But it does not consistently fail on them, and often does not crash.

Now I do have to admit that one of those crashes occurred after update of SmartSound and one occurred after I had V4 open (to write down preferences) and then opened V7. These shouldn't have caused a problem, but can live with them if in fact a problem as I don't do that often.

I will start the usual process with checking for the latest video drivers, etc.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: First Day - 3 Crashes

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:26 am

I always recommend against opening an older version project with a newer version or Premiere Elements, Bob. Even though it works (kind of) in version 7 -- it doesn't really. I tried opening a version 4 project (all DV-AVIs) in version 7 and had to re-render all the files. There definitely is a completely different engine at work in version 7.

So, in fairness, you need to evaluate version 7 on a new, version 7 project.

And, of course, make sure your computer is updated, cleaned, defragged and, especially if it's a Vista machine, optimized.

Given a fair test drive, I think you'll find version 7 may well be the most stable version of this program, and the best reason to upgrade, since version 2.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14 am

Bob, This was not happening to anyone at the end of the Beta at all.
This was a very stable program and had very few, if any, issues still unresolved at the end.

Probably just a driver issue, current version of Quicktime, Flash, same old stuff.
Believe me, when you get V7 running you will be very happy with it :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Vera S » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:02 am

My version 7 chrashes too, although I worked with projects that were created in Version 7.

PRE 7 opens as usual, projectfile opens just as well, but when I changed to organizer, clicking a thumb, there was the crash.
All that happens, after I created a second catalog in PSE7.
Any idea ??? Did anybody else made this experience?
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

All Better Now!

Postby Bobby » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:22 pm

I can't agree fully with Steve's comments about not opening project files from previous version. I do this all the time, as I have decided NOT to keep all the prior versions of PE around (after verifying that the new one is OK of course). So I make it a point to open ALL my old projects when a new program version comes out and save with the new version, thus ensuring continued project file compatibility.

But Steve's comments did lead me in what I think was the right direction. What I didn't do (and should have, my bad) was to clear out all the old temporary files from V4 - meaning render files, peak files, etc. before opening up the project with the new version. Since I keep all that temp stuff in a different folder (not the project folder) it was really easy to do for all outstanding projects.

Did that, all seems GREAT!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:23 pm

That is interesting, Bob!

I've never dared open an old project with a new version -- except and an experiment and usually with disastrous results.

I'd never considered that the temp and render files were the real culprits!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Yup, and solid as a rock thus far tonight.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Svein Berger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:29 pm

I have also opened old project with newer versions of PRE, and never had a problem. I always copy my project to a new folder, and delete all "temp files". Works every time.
Svein
-- Canon Legria HF M52, Canon HV20 --
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7