They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Scrolling text with fading

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Scrolling text with fading

Postby Svein Berger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi,
I want to have a scrolling text which is fading out on the middle of the screen. The background is video with pictures on.
Is it possible to create this?
Svein
-- Canon Legria HF M52, Canon HV20 --
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Scrolling text with fading

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Absolutely.

The easiest way to do this is to put the background video on video 1 and the title on video 2. Select the title options for rolling text. (In the title workspace, click on the roll/crawl option button in the lower left corner of the title's panel or the >> button in the upper right corner of the monitor to open the roll/crawl option screen.)

To control the speed of the roll, drag the title clip on the timeline so that it's longer or shorter.

Once you've got everyone as you want it, right-click on the title and select the option to Fade Out Video.

You'll see the keyframe point created on the title for the fade out. You can control when the fade out begins by sliding the keyframe point that begins the fade to the left or right.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Here http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42 you will find two tutorials on rolling titles (free).
Rolling and scrolling are pretty much the same, just select Scrolling instead of Rolling. Then, as Steve says, you can use the Fade Out option or you can keyframe the Opacity. I think the tutorials will help you a lot to understand how the titles work, that is the first step, making them fade is a separate thing.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Svein Berger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Thank you Steve and Chuck, for a quick reply.

I have just viewed Chuck's scrolling tutorials, and they was very nice.
But I think I did not explained enough what I really want. Or, I did not understand Steve's explanation. That's possible, my English is not the best. :(

What I want is a scrolling text starting from the bottom of the screen, and the text disappears on the middle of the screen while scrolling.
I have solved that by using the Crop effect, setting only the Top to 60%, and the Left, Bottom and Right to 0%. This means that the bottom 40% of the screen has a scrolling text, and the left 60% does not have the text. This is working great, but I want the text to nicely disappear by fading out, not just be cut by the crop effect.

I have solved the fading if the background is black, by using a Photoshop image that is fading from black to transparent, but that's not working whith a video as a background. ](*,)
Svein
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 pm

How do you want your title to disappear, Svein?

The method I described will make it fade away as it's scrolling up your screen.

Cropping will make the title scroll to a point and then disappear as it crosses a line on your screen.

Do you want the title to roll up to the middle of your screen, pause and then fade out?

I'm sure if you can tell us exactly what effect you are trying to create -- or link us to a video that includes that effect -- we can figure out a way to make it happen.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Svein Berger wrote:What I want is a scrolling text starting from the bottom of the screen, and the text disappears on the middle of the screen while scrolling.... I want the text to nicely disappear by fading out .., I have solved the fading if the background is black, by using a Photoshop image that is fading from black to transparent, but that's not working whith a video as a background.

You are very close Svein. It sounds like you placed the Photoshop image on the top layer to cover up the text as it scrolls up. Place your video background on layer 1, your title on layer 2, and your Photoshop image with the fade to transparent on layer 3. Then, apply the Track Matte Key effect to the title in layer 2. Set the Track matte properties to matte: video3 and composite using matte alpha. If the transparent area of the photoshop image is at the bottom instead of at the top, select "reverse" . That should do it.

You can adjust how it fades out by adjusting the gradient on the photoshop image.
Bob

Postby Svein Berger » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:36 am

Bob wrote:You are very close Svein. It sounds like you placed the Photoshop image on the top layer to cover up the text as it scrolls up. Place your video background on layer 1, your title on layer 2, and your Photoshop image with the fade to transparent on layer 3. Then, apply the Track Matte Key effect to the title in layer 2. Set the Track matte properties to matte: video3 and composite using matte alpha. If the transparent area of the photoshop image is at the bottom instead of at the top, select "reverse" . That should do it.

You can adjust how it fades out by adjusting the gradient on the photoshop image.

Thank you Bob. =D> This was exactly what I wanted.

I've put together a small example, Steve. It is easier for me to show it for you than explain it.
http://muvipix.com/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-2672

This is the best community... :-5
Svein
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:32 am

Great effect, Svein! I'm glad you and Bob could figure it out.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:01 am

I always love to hear about success =D>
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chainsaw_Willie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Here http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42 you will find two tutorials on rolling titles (free).
Rolling and scrolling are pretty much the same, just select Scrolling instead of Rolling. ...

Forgive me for resurrecting this old thread but I'm not seeing any tutorials for rolling titles at the above link. Have these been removed or is it simply my misunderstanding of the terminology getting in the way again?

Also, those links all seem to be about Elements 4 - is the interface similar enough and the same commands & effects used that they will be helpful in elements 9?

Thanks!
Chainsaw_Willie
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Yes, Willie, the interface is virtually identical, so the principles still apply.

If you go to our products page (or the home page for this site) and type "Rolling titles" in the product search box, you'll see a couple of tutorials for creating them.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:10 pm

There are 4 tutorials on rolling titles
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Enjoy :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks, Svein, for posting your question (and Bob for the solution).
This sounds like a great way to make rolling titles look smoother. :TU:
Peru

Postby Svein Berger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:35 am

Glad to help, Peru.

I was using this effect to fade text in and out on the screen.
Svein
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7