They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD file thumbnails in the Organizer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

AVCHD file thumbnails in the Organizer

Postby Barb O » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:47 am

FYI - This question about AVCHD in PE7-PSE7 originated in the Adobe Photoshop Elements forum and it does ask about thumbnails in PSE7. However, it is specific to version 7, so I posted here.

Below is a cut and paste of the current contents of the thread at the Adobe forum at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6a7fa/0 The response in message 1 indicates the need to install additional system wide available codecs: so this does seem to be generically the same problem as prior versions of PSE not having thumbnails for MPEG2 files unless the customer installed additional codecs . However for AVCHD, where would a person obtain such a codec?

PSE7/PRE7 and AVCHD

Stephen Gowdy - 03:54pm Oct 3, 2008 Pacific
Hi All,
The main reason I upgraded to these was that I read the bundle supported this format that my video camera writes. It looks like it is only PRE7 that supports it though. However, if you add files to a project in PRE7 they do get added to the Organiser in PSE7 but you don't see the thumbnail and can't play them there. You can tag them in either program. I'm quite disappointed that PSE7 itself can't deal with it, the tagging is a bit easier there.
Stephen.

SaurabhGupta - 12:43am Oct 4, 08 PST (#1 of 1)
I think the some codecs need to be separately installed to see the thumbnails of the files in the PSE.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: AVCHD file thumbnails in the Organizer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:54 am

I would think the program would include the necessary codecs. Or, at the very least, Windows Updates to XP SP3 or Vista SP1.

If they don't, it might not hurt to install the software that came with the camcorder. That may include some specific codecs.

Would the K-Lite Codec Pack help? Possibly. It certainly never hurts.
http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7