They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question for Steve re Tagging of Clips

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Question for Steve re Tagging of Clips

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks very much for providing us a taste of PE7, Steve. :;cook;:

BTW, PE4's manual states that the Organizer in PE4 "shows the contents of the last catalog you opened in Photoshop Elements [6 only]." The only reason I bought PSE6 was so I could import all my video clips into its organizer for tagging and then see the tagged clips in the PE4 organizer.

If I understand your preview correctly, with PE7 I will be able to perform the tagging of clips directly without needing any version of PSE installed.

1) Is that correct?

Also, I've noticed that, to delete a clip from both my PE4 catalog and my HDD, I must do it in PSE6, not PE4. (Clicking Delete in PE4 only removes the clip from the PE4 catalog not the HDD.)

2) Will PE7 require me to have PSE7 installed if I want to delete a clip not only from the PE7 catalog but also the HDD?

Lastly, I've noted that, if I wish to open PE4, I must first close PSE6.

3) Is there a reason for that?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Question for Steve re Tagging of Clips

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm not sure why you're having to close Photo Elements in order to open Premiere Elements, George. That shouldn't happen. I've had Photo Elements 6 open both while working in Premiere Elements 4 and 7 with no problems.

Yes, version 7's Organizer will allow for tagging, creating albums and other metadata. However, it's still not the Organizer Photoshop Elements has -- not even quite as full featured as Photo Elements 6!

So, you can tag and add and search by metadata, but you can't browse in folder view or delete files from the Premiere Elements 7 Organizer, as you can in the Photo Elements Organizer in version 6.

I haven't seen Photo Elements 7 yet, but I suspect that, given the version numbers, these two Elements programs will be more closely married than ever. It might be worth upgrading the whole package, if you plan to upgrade.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Question for Steve re Tagging of Clips

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:It might be worth upgrading the whole package, if you plan to upgrade.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Yes, I'm also expecting that I will need also PSE7 to take full advantage of PE7, so I've already pre-ordered both
from Amazon with 2-day delivery.* img0230

Problem is, if I have any version of PE later than 3 installed, my PSE4 organizer won't work with MCE 2005. My solution is to use 2 separate computers, one with PSE4 installed, the other with whatever version of PE I am currently using. But that is not really a problem as I prefer to keep my rapidly-growing 15,000-image PSE4 catalog of still photos and slide shows separate from my also rapidly-growing (currently PSE6) catalog of video clips.
____
*BTW, Amazon has a new program. For $79 per year, all orders for the year will be shipped 2-day for no additional charge, and 1-day will be only $3.99/order.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7