They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Missing CODEC

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Missing CODEC

Postby Bobby » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 pm

I am trying to work on one of my old video projects, now that I am somewhat "back".

When I open an old project in PRE10 (my latest version) the Media files come in OK, but the timeline is blank, obviously losing all my work.

If I load up PRE7 which was probably used to create the project, it all looks OK but when I try to create a DVD I get an error popup that it needs to load a component (CODEC?) for MPEG2 and gives me a URL at Adobe to get a code. Of course, the URL is old and 404.

I am thinking I need one of the global CODEC packages installed, but don't remember which one we used to recommend. Can someone refresh my memory or provide any other insight to get PRE7 running?

Thanks much...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Missing CODEC

Postby Bobby » Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Memories clicking in. K-Lite Codec Pack ???
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 09, 2018 8:25 pm

If the project was created in version 7, you definitely need to finish it in version 7. You can open older projects in newer versions of Premiere Elements.

That said, older versions of the program (like version 7) needed to activate components (like the MPEG component) which were provided by third-party sources (in this case Main Concept). This they did automatically the first time you used them by contacting Adobe or Main Concept over the internet.

Unfortunately those web links went away a very long time ago. So there may be no way to activate the component necessary to produce a DVD from version 7.

One possible solution is to install the free trial of version 2018. This will install the current MPEG component, and version 7 might well be able to use it.

The other solution is to just output your finished movie from version 7 as a DV-AVI. You can then load this finished movie into version 10 and use version 10 to author and output your DVD.

But installing codec packs won't fix things. In fact, some codec packs can actually damage your system by overwriting standard codecs with similar but not standard codecs. So, although the K Lite codec pack is pretty benign, as a general rule it's best not to go tinkering with the codecs that are installed by the programs you're editing with.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri May 11, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks Steve.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7