They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need to edit project from PRE 3

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Need to edit project from PRE 3

Postby peggig » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:11 pm

I need to edit an old project made in PRE 3. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, and I've read online that PRE 3 does not work with 64-bit Windows 7.

I'm currently using PRE 10, but that won't load a PRE 3 project. I have an older version of PRE 7 that I could install, if a PRE 3 project can be opened in PRE 7. Does anybody know if that will work?

If not, does anybody have any suggestions? It's a very complex project with lots of clips from lots of different videos and a lot of editing, so it would be prohibitively time-consuming to redo the whole project.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need to edit project from PRE 3

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:12 pm

I do not think you can get newer versions of PRE to read old projects. sorry

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby peggig » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Does anybody know if it's possible to run PRE 3 on 65-bit Windows 7?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't know if you can open or run an older project. Since you have the old project, then you at least have all of the media and wouldn't need to capture. Sorry, but may only have the option to start over.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:34 pm

I have installed it on W7 Pro 64 bit. It is very unpredictable, not all functions work, and it crashes often.
I have successfully opened Pre El 3.0.2 project in Premiere Pro CS4, but any effects or transitions that were used in Pre El that are not in P Pro were lost.

If you are really desperate, try to find a used Windows XP computer. I'll bet there are many out there. Search Amazon and eBay.
Peru

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Talk about coincidences, just this morning I was cleaning out my desk and came across my old Premiere Elements 3.0 installation DVD. After reading your post, I decided to see whether it could be installed on Windows 7 64-bit. Short answer, yes it can. I was able to run the complete install without any problems. I did not attempt to register it though, I suspect that the registration server for that version is no longer running. I selected "register later" when prompted during the install.

There is a 3.02 patch that needs to be applied. The update server for Pre 3 is no longer running and check for updates will not show any updates. You will need to manually download the patch and apply it.

Premiere Elements 3 was originally written for Windows XP and you will need to set the program's compatibility settings in order to run it. Right click on the PRE 3 launch icon and select "Properties". Select the "Compatibility" tab. Select the checkbox to run in compatibility mode and select Windows xp sp 3.

pre3_compatibility.JPG

I did not test out every function, so I can't say positively that your old project will work. But, I did create a new project and run through some basic operations and exported the movie. I encountered no problems.

Good Luck!

Edit: I see Peru posted while I was trying this out. I see he did encounter some problems. Hopefully, you will be able to make your changes ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby peggig » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Wow, thank you Bob!

BTW, can you still run your current version of PRE? I'm also a little concerned that installing PRE 3 might overwrite some of the DLLs from PRE 10 and necessitate a re-install of PRE 10.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Adobe installs each version in a separate directory. It should not affect your current version. Just don't try to run both versions at the same time.
Bob

Postby peggig » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks! I'll try it.

BTW, you don't happen to know if it's possible to open a PRE 3 project in PRE7 do you? I figure if I could do that, and save it as a PRE 7 project, then maybe I could open that with PRE 10 and save it as a PRE 10 project.

It doesn't make sense that there's no way to edit older projects. Adobe guarantees that DNG files (for photos) will always be usable and they will never stop supporting earlier versions. I wish they'd make the same guarantee for video projects.

Edit: I just noticed on the 3.02 download page, it says the update provides compatibility with Windows Vista, 32-bit only. So it might not work on a 64-bit system. Maybe that was why Peru was having problems.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm

I still have PRE 7 installed so I tried opening the PRE 3 project I just created in PRE 7 and it opened right up. The fonts, templates, transitions, and effects included in Premiere Elements can change between versions so you might encounter issues depending on what was used in your project and whether that is present in the new version. But, it looks like, in general, you should be able to open the project in Pre 7.

I'd recommend copying the PRE 3 project file and media to a backup folder before opening in PrE 7. PRE 3 will probably not be able to open the project after PRE 7 converts it to its new format.
Bob

Postby peggig » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Out of desperation, I just tried opening the PRE 3 project in PRE 10 and, miracle of miracles, it seems to work! I haven't actually tried to do anything with it yet. It took forever to conform the avi files, but it looks like it might work!

I once tried to open a PRE 3 project in PRE 8 and it didn't work, so I figured it was just too many versions back to be compatible. But it looks like it might work with PRE 10!

I'll let you know if I have any luck.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:40 am

Good Luck!
Bob

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:53 am

Bob wrote:
There is a 3.02 patch needs to be applied.

Premiere Elements 3 was originally written for Windows XP and you will need to set the program's compatibility settings in order to run it. Right click on the PRE 3 launch icon and select "Properties". Select the "Compatibility" tab. Select the checkbox to run in compatibility mode and select Windows xp sp 3.

I encountered no problems.

I had applied the patch and changed the compatibility settings, too. I guess there must be a difference in the systems which allowed your installation to work, but not mine. I still have my original disc and the downloaded patch on disc, as well.
Peru

Postby peggig » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm having generally good results so far. I've been able to make edits to a PRE 3 project and export it to an MPEG file from PRE 10. (I haven't watched the whole video, so I don't know if all the transitions work.)

However, on at least one occasion, after opening the project in PRE 10, I was not able to even play the video from the timeline. It just froze. However, after closing the project, rebooting the machine, and then opening it again, it worked.

So it might be hit or miss, but I have had some encouraging success so far. I saved the PRE 10 version of the project in a different location so I still have the original PRE 3 project in case something gets corrupted in the conversion.

I'm thinking of opening all my old PRE 3 projects in PRE 10 and saving them, so I'll have them saved as PRE 10 projects for the future. It will take a lot of time and disk space but, since I know not all versions of PRE will open projects from a previous version, and PRE 10 seems to be able to (at least so far), it might make sense to convert all my old projects to PRE 10 before I upgrade to a newer version.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7