They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Original location of missing files?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Original location of missing files?

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 am

I have an old PrEl 7 project which I tried to open and found that a number of files are missing. I haven't done anything to the associated folders that I can recall, so I'm wondering if I had linked those files to a folder outside the project. Normally if a file comes up missing it's due to me having "organized" a folder (moved or renamed) and it's pretty straightforward to solve. Not this time. My question is, when the program asks for the location of the missing files is there any way to tell where it was expecting to find them? If I knew that it might help me to reconnect or at least figure out what went wrong.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Original location of missing files?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 am

If the program can't find your files, it hasn't the slightest idea where to look, Dave. Sometimes it will default to the main Library. Sometimes to the last directory folder you had open.

I notice that you're using what appears to be a pretty new computer and a fairly old project. I'm assuming you've transferred this file from an earlier version of Windows. If so, the program may not be able to locate the project media because the directory structure of Windows 7 is so much different than that of say XP.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks Steve. I'm thinking that since it had to know where the file was when things were correct, it's got that information stored somewhere. I thought maybe there would be a way to know that path. Actually the computer in my signature is the original location. This particular project is only about 3 years old. I made a conscious decision at the time to use PrEl 7 because it had some features that had been dropped in later versions, I only needed to work in SD, and I was very comfortable with V7.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Found the issue. I went to my backups and found that there was a folder in the original project that is no longer there. I have no memory of deleting it, nor would I have had any reason to. <sigh> Just for the record, The Explorer folder that PrEl opened to when it was asking for the location of the file was the parent folder (one level up) of the location which should have contained the missing folder.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Consider the above a testimony to the value of backups. If it's important to you... :)

2008-12-08-kids-remember-to-backup.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Well said, Dave!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7