They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Moving PRE/PSE7 to new computer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Moving PRE/PSE7 to new computer

Postby decolb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Need help moving PRE 7 to new computer as described below. Not sure exactly what files need to be moved or how to do it. Currently have PSE/PRE7 and PSE4/PRE2 on old computer withWinXP. Have a few projects in each version which reside on a separate HDD J. All photos are on C drive and all video is on J drive. Assume I would first install 7 on the new C drive, but then need to know which and how to move the files to the new HDD drive which is :I. Also could physically move the old :J drive to the new computer if that would help. The two computers are networked if that helps. I will probably be moving to PRE11 eventually, but assume it would be better to start by moving what I've got first.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprreciated.

Dave
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Re: Moving PRE/PSE7 to new computer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Assuming both computers use the same hard drive system (eg, they both use SATA drives) moving the J drive to your new computer would save you a world of work. If you do that and ensure it's still called the J drive on your new computer, your new computer should open your projects right up once you've installed Premiere Elements.

Otherwise, you'll need to use the process of archiving your projects, or you'll end up losing all of the media links built into each project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm

If you can install the old drive in your new machine that would be an advantage.\
You can also go into Disk Management and give it the J drive letter.
Where are your project files located?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby decolb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks, Steve:

Afraid I'm going to need some more hand holding. Assume I will need to somehow transfer basic photo and video media files. Currently all of my photos are on the old C: drive in several folders in My Documents. There is a My Catalog in PSE4 with tags; and in PSE7 there are two catalogs: My Catalog containing photos and some vidoe clips with no tags and My Catalog6 which seems to have the photos and tags in PSE4. The video clips captured in PRE2 are on J Drive but not in PSE7. Not sure how to sort out this mess. Would the following sequence make sense?
1. Install PRE/PSE7 on new C: drive
2. Transfer photo files and catalogs from PSE7 to the new HDD. I will need lots of help on exactly how to accomplish this. Do I copy the photo files from the old C: to the new I Drive and also the two catalogs from PSE7, and if so, how?
3. Physically transfer the J Drive to the new computer.

At this point, I suspect I will have to reorganize my file systems to get all media, photos and video, on the I Drive. I have seen numerous references to a "scratch drive" but not sure how this is used. Could the J Drive be used for this purpose?
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 am

As Chuck confirms, the easiest solution is to just put your J drive in your new computer and then use Disk Management to make sure it's still called J. That will take care of your Premiere Elements and media files.

As for your photos and other data on your C drive, you can move those right over your network from computer to computer. Check out Microsoft's easy to use Windows Easy Transfer wizard. You just tell it what to move, and it will copy it over for you. (It's designed, obviously, for migrating everything -- documents, pictures, even e-mail history -- to a new computer or operating system.)

You may have to manually locate your Organizer catalog and move it to your new computer also, and then tell the Organizer to use it as your main catalog. Pretty easy with version 11. I've never done it with version 7, but it should be pretty much the same process, I assume.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how much hand-holding we can do without my taking a trip out to Colorado Springs (which would be very cool!). But I think, once you get started, you'll be surprised how easy it all goes. And, if you get stuck, let us know.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I think there is another consideration here. I don't immediately have all the answers - so to help our discussion, here are some observations and some questions about the catalogs and the photo files.

First,
because you are migrating from a Windows XP system to a Windows 7 system AND you have at least some media (like photos) under the XP folder structure of My Documents:

-- you need to both move the media (photos, video) and update the Adobe Elements Catalog to know the new location of these media files

-- However, because the Windows 7 folder structure (folder tree) for my documents is different than XP, it is not as simple as copying the photo files and copying the PSE catalogs from C drive on old system to C drive on new system.

-- Generally the Adobe answer for migrating a Photoshop Elements Catalog which includes photos located in MY DOCUMENTS from XP to a new W 7 PC is - do the PSE function of a Catalog Backup on the old PC and then after installing the Photoshop Elements software on the new PC, use the PSE function of Catalog Restore. HOWEVER, I don't think that is a complete solution for your environment.

Second,
I do agree with the previous posts that moving your 'physical" J drive to the new computer (and keeping it with the same volume serial) will be a significant help towards successfully using your video media on the new system.

Third,
-- I doubt that Photoshop Elements 4 will run under Windows 7 and I don't know about Premiere Elements 2.

-- There are currently PSE 4 and PSE 7 catalogs on the old XP system. I suspect you have photos or video files that are referenced in more than one of these catalogs and that does make this migration more complex.

-- Do you plan (need) to keep any PSE4 catalog? Are the video clips captured in PRE 2 included in the "My Catalog" of PSE 4?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby decolb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Barb points out some questions/concerns that developed in my feeble mind after reading several Adobe Help topics. As indicated above, I currently have two catalogs in V7, one of which is apparently a copy of the My Catolog in V4. There are no videos included in this catalog. All of the video clips have been captured on the J: drive and some of them have been used in V2 projects. All project files are on the J: drive. I would like to combine or merge the two catalogs and use the tags developed in PSE4, but this seems to be a difficult process. I have fresh disks for PRE/PSE9, would it make any sense to install these on the new computer rather than V7?
The default location for catalogs is C:, can they be placed on the new I: drive?

Thanks everyone for your help.
decolb

Postby Barb O » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:51 pm

1-I suggest that you spend more time to examine examine that v7 catalog (which appears to have your tags and references to your media from PSE v4). Report any media or tags from PSE 4 that you find missing as well as anything else that looks strange.

It would be normal for PSE to create a catalog upgraded to the current version when it finds a catalog from an earlier version on your computer. However the name you reported for that v7 catalog does seem a bit usual so that is a bit of a mystery.

2 - Also, when you have PSE 7 Organizer active, go to the Help menu of the Organizer for a choice to show your system info (don't remember exact wording on menu) and look what is shown as the currently active catalog. Please post the info displayed for the currently active catalog.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Adding to my prior post

Yes, you will be able to place the Elements catalog on the I drive. (specifics depend on version, so are best discussed after a general plan is determined).

I am not sure about your Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements version 9 question, so I suggest waiting for others to post on that topic.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby decolb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Barb: Many thanks for your yeoman(woman) efforts.

1. There don't seem to be any significant differences between "My Catolog6" in V7 and "My Catalog" in V4.

2. The sys inf for My Catalog6 is:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0.0.0
Core Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)
Language Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog6
Catalog Location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs\My Catalog6\
Catalog Size: 3.4MB
Catalog Cache Size: 24.7MB

System:
Operating System Name: XP
Operating System Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:15 Model:4 Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP
Built-in Memory: 2GB
Free Memory: 2GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:
Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0
Apple QuickTime Version: 7.72
Adobe Reader Version: 10.1
Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:
E: (HP DVD BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: Writer)

and for My Catalog:
Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0.0.0
Core Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)
Language Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog
Catalog Location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs\My Catalog
Catalog Size: 15.5MB
Catalog Cache Size: 9.3MB

System:
Operating System Name: XP
Operating System Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:15 Model:4 Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP
Built-in Memory: 2GB
Free Memory: 1.9GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:
Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0
Apple QuickTime Version: 7.72
Adobe Reader Version: 10.1
Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:
E: (HP DVD BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: Writer)
decolb

Postby decolb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:38 pm

After a lot of clean up and other distractions, I have accomplished the following:

Backed up and restored Catalog6 to the new computer using PSE 7 on the HHD I: looks pretty good compared with the original. However, it leaves me with a conglomeration of folders under the old C: configuration- Docs & Settings/HP Admin/My Docs/etc. which seems superfluous. My thought would be to set up new folders on the I: drive as follows and move the images into them:
Digital- to capture photos from cameras, etc
Scans- to capture photos & slides from scanner
Videos- to capture video clips from camcorder & other sources
Projects- to set up individual projects from PRE7

I know I should move the photos within PSE7, not Exlorer, but not sure exactly how to go about it. Future captures would go directly into these folders.

I also have physically moved the J: drive from the old computer into the new one. This drive contains several projects and misc video clips developed in PRE2 and PRE7 and as might be expected, some of them don't work very well. Will need to work on cleaning up this mess, but think I want to eventually move them over to the Projects folder on I: Eventually would like to move to PRE11, but assume I should get PRE7 right first. Timing was good as the C: on the old computer finally crapped out.

Would appreciate any comments/ suggestions.

Thanks, Dave
decolb

Postby Barb O » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Dave,
Backed up and restored Catalog6 to the new computer using PSE 7 on the HHD I: looks pretty good compared with the original. However, it leaves me with a conglomeration of folders under the old C: configuration- Docs & Settings/HP Admin/My Docs/etc. which seems superfluous

Since the PSE restore software creates very unusual folder structures when doing a restore on W7 computer of a Catalog that originated on an XP computer, I normally recommend against deleting "strange" folder structures immediately after transitioning to the W7 computer. I suggest that on the W7 system you use the PSE 7 Organizer to look at the actual folder location of photo files so that you understand the new folder structures which were created by the PSE Organizer restore process on W7.

Yes, I agree that the file moves should be done using the PSE 7 Organizer rather than with Windows Explorer.
I don't immediately have a PS and PRE 7 installation available to me in order to give specific instructions - perhaps someone else will reply.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby decolb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Barb: Does my suggested file structure for the new I: drive make sense for bringing in new material? The restore brought over the standard file structure from my old C: which seems to be OK, but has several intermediate folders that don't seem to have any purpose.

Thanks, Dave
decolb

Return to PRE Version 7