They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Multiple soundtracks

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Multiple soundtracks

Postby William Tranter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Dear friends,
I'm used to PE v.1 where multiple video tracks were stacked above, er, a 'base line', and audio tracks were stacked below said base line. The audio tracks were not designated for specific uses, such as Commentary, Sound Effects, or Soundtrack, so the user of PE1 made the tracks whatever he/she wanted. This Timeline layout was neat, easy to understand and handy for editing and mixing.

However, in PE v.7, each additional video track has its associated audio track attached, so it is not so easy.
I want MULTIPLE audio tracks for virtually all my projects - apart from the audio track for sounds recorded with the video, I want a Sound Effects track (or even 2 - for owl hoots, wind noise, etc), at least 1 Commentary track (possibly more!), at least 2 soundtrack music tracks (so I can fade or mix music on one soundtrack with music on another soundtrack.
But WHERE do I put all these audio tracks when PE7 only supplies one audio track each for commentary, recorded sounds, and music?
I suppose I could use one or two of the Video/Audio tracks higher up above Video track 1, but I feel that makes the project very untidy and awkward to see multiple soundtracks!
Could someone please help?
All the best, and thank you for any suggestions,
Bill

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Multiple soundtracks

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:19 pm

You can add additional audio and/or video tracks. You have a choice of adding them before the first track or after the last track. This does renumber the tracks, so it's best to do this at the beginning of the project. You can also right click the track name and give it a more descriptive name.

Personally, I'm like you. I prefer the old way of organizing the video/audio tracks. I guess that's one more reason I like Premiere Pro which still does it that way.
Bob

Postby William Tranter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Thank you, Bob, for your prompt reply.
Yes, I knew I could add audio and video tracks - in my current Test Project (where I'm learning PE7 and also all about my new camcorder) I have added a couple more video and audio tracks to give me tracks for my title/s, and I reckon the way PE is laid out leans more towards the 'Sceneline' view rather than a normal timeline. Certainly the manual accompanying the program features the Sceneline much more than the Timeline, and I think editing a video using the Sceneline method is much easier, though considerably less professional, than a 'normal' timeline like that in Premiere Pro or PE1 or 2.
Looks like I'm going to have lots of unwanted video tracks in order to get the required number of audio tracks, making compositing of the project MUCH more difficult. Hey ho!!!
Thank you,
Bill

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Looks like I'm going to have lots of unwanted video tracks in order to get the required number of audio tracks

You can add just audio tracks. In the dialog to add tracks, just set the video tracks to 0. There's also a delete empty tracks feature that can get rid of the extra unused video and audio tracks (except for video1, audio1, narration, and soundtrack--those stay). So, it's not as bad as it could have been.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 7