They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE7 freezing in Tags

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

PE7 freezing in Tags

Postby William Tranter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Twice now while moving clips onto the timeline, all of a sudden the Tagging window pops up with all my downloaded clips in it. I don't need Tagging - I can find all my clips and identify them with no problems, and I've been video editing for years!
Fine, one would think - I'll just close the window and continue my editing, but I can't! I can't see a little 'cross' to shut the window, just an icon which moves the window from one of my two monitors to the other. I have clicked on everything, but nothing works on the 'proper' screen, and I'm stuck!
The only way out is to switch off the computer at the power point! Then I have to switch on, boot up Windows XP Pro, then boot up PE7, and (if I have saved my project frequently!) continue my editing
Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but what?
Can somebody help please?
All the best,
Bill

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PE7 freezing in Tags

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:19 am

What's a tagging window, Bill? Are you working in the Organizer? Have you tried turning off the Auto Analyzer/Media Analyzer in the Organizer's preferences?

I don't know what window would be popping up when you add clips from the Project Media panel to the timeline. In later versions of Premiere Elements there's a Smart Fix tool -- but that can be disabled just by checking the Do Not Show Again box.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby William Tranter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:16 pm

The Tagging window appears if you double click on a video clip (which is seen in the Organizer window). I think the idea is that you can then classify each clip by its subject, or its look, or whatever you want to classify the clip by (I don't want to classify ANY clips - I can see quite clearly what clips are no good, too bright, too blurry, etc!).
The PE7 manual (published by Adobe) says that after selecting a clip and giving it a Tag, you close the Tagging window by clicking on a little 'X' (a Close Window icon) which makes sense, except that there is NO 'X' showing anywhere on the Tagging window! But it doesn't matter, because I've discovered another method of closing the window: Alt/F4 does the same job! Whether this is a 'correct' method of closing the window is immaterial to me, because now I know why I'm being tossed into a Tagging window, and now I know how to get out of it!
I think the idea of 'tags' is to make finding clips easier, though in all the years I've been doing video editing I've never had any problems at all! Perhaps those people producing long, professional productions may need this tool.
All the best, and thank you for replying to my plea,
Bill

Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Alt F4 is a standard Windows shortcut that does the same thing as clicking the "X" . So, yes, it is a correct way to close the window.
Bob

Postby William Tranter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 pm

Well, I'll be blowed! I've been using Windows for years, pre-Windows actually, and I didn't know that! Just shows, nobody knows it all!
Thank you,
Bill

William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:01 am

William Tranter wrote:Just shows, nobody knows it all!......

...except Bob! =D>
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby William Tranter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 am

Got to admit, you're right there!
Bill

William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7