They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PC Compatibility with Premiere Elements 7?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

PC Compatibility with Premiere Elements 7?

Postby Johnny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Since I've been using Premiere Elements 7, I've regularly had the program freeze or shut down. I've re-opened it after a while, and then the same thing would happen at different times, with various projects. I'm wondering what you would recommend I do to possibly make my computer system better suited to work with the program. I have a DELL Dimension 9200 and I thought that the computer might be in need of a memory upgrade, but someone with DELL told me that my system can't go beyond 4 GB of RAM (what I currently have). He suggested that I consider a 1GB graphics card. Can anyone weigh in on this?
Processor: i7-4790 Processor @3.6 GHz
24GB RAM
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
2GB AMD Radeon HD R9 270 Graphics
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Software: Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PC Compatibility with Premiere Elements 7?

Postby Barb O » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Johnny,
the considerations may be very different depending on the type of video you are processing so I suggest that you also post :

-- the type of source video your are using in your Premiere Elements projects (SD or HD and if HD more details about which format)
-- the Premiere Elements project setting for your projects
-- if you are using photos, what is their photo resolution ?
-- what is your intended output format ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Johnny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Barb,

I've been using standard definition video from my video camera's mini dv cassettes. I'm not sure what you mean by the Elements project setting for my projects, though. I haven't been using photos for the videos I've been making. I've eventually been creating an MPEG file that I've been burning to DVD. I have been managing to get the movies completed, but it has really been at a sluggish pace, with many crashes in between the start and finish of the projects.
Thank you for your help.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:21 pm

I am glad that you replied that you are using SD and mini DV (rather than HD AVCHD for which your processor would be underpowered).

What do you have for hard drive(s) including capacity, available space and speed ? Recently defragmented ?

Do you by any chance havr Steve Grisetti's book about Premiere Elements 7 ?
I noticed that you are running Vista and there are some optimizations that can be done to Vista for running PE 7 ?

EDIT - Adding link for you to read -
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632449?tstart=30
this seems potentially relevant to your disk configuration and how it could relate to your RAM

FYI -
your video card question is not being ignored : instead my current intent is to gather additional info so that multiple members on this forum will have relevant info to assist you.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

I ran version 7 on a similar computer without too many problems although crashes were one of them.
For standard definition video versions 2, 3 and 4 were much more reliable and even more so with Windows XP.

This could have as much to do with Vista as it does with Premiere Elements 7, have you thought of upgrading to Windows 7?

I would also like to hear the answer to Barb's hard drive question, that may also shed some light on the issue.

Until you get an answer I recommend saving often and also utilize the "Save a Copy" option. I could not find any reason for the crashes in version 7, just seemed to be random. Others here are very happy with running version 7 and have few problems if any. I would be interested in hearing what version of Windows they are using.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if this is of any help to anyone but I am currently running PE7 on my second computer an Intel Core Duo E8400 3.00ghz. 4gb ram, 500 gb graphics card. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Just recently I finished a project about 90 mins long, with a mixtue of slides, some movie from a 8mm camera from way back, a little video from a SD Panasonic Camcorder, even at the finish with a small movie from my HD Panasonic Camera. I am definitely a effects and flourishes kind of person. Even a little stuff from Bluff Titler and backgrounds made by me in Craft Artist. My project is saved on my 2nd hard drive which is 500gb reserved only for projects.

All in all I was quite happy with the running of PE7. Crashes did occur but mainly once it got to about the 30 to 40 minute mark, and they were at random. One day it might crash 4 or 5 times and I would actually have to reboot the whole machine. But maybe next day would not have a problem. This would happen like that till finish, one day crashes, another perfect. The one thing I did notice was that after rendering a certain section and saving, upon re-entering say next day, certain sections will show up with the red line again. Having said that, that kind of thing often happens with this particular computer and PE7 with any of my projects, as they are all very involved.

Just aside from PE7, my hubby just finished a 90 min HD movie on the same specs computer as above in PE10, no crashes except one which was his fault. But the rendering was the same thing after a certain length, would render save and upon re-entering red line would appear not always the same spot but random. Both projects finally finished and burnt successfully with another burning program.

Hope this is of help to anyone.

Cheers

BG
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Johnny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Barb and Chuck,
The total size of my hard drive is 288GB, and the space free is 60GB.
I haven't given serious thought before to upgrading to Windows 7. I had wanted to wait until it was out long enough to know that it didn't have the kinds of flaws that Vista seems to have. If changing the operating system could improve performance in Elements 7 (and overall system performance), then I'd definitely consider it.
Yes, I do own and have been using Steve's book on Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7.
Barb, thank you for the link; I'll take a look at it soon.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Chuck,
1 -- I had run version 7 Photoshop and Premiere Elements OK on a laptop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 processor with 3 GB RAM. It had an integrated Intel 4500 MHD video (which was supposedly better than most integrated video). It had 1 5400 RPM drive: don't remember the size.

-- I did do Steve's list of optimizations for running PE 7 on Vista .
-- I converted video so that my source to the actual project was SD DV-AVI and I output to DVD widescreen.
-- These projects were fairly small with short videos and a few photos

I do not recollect random crashes. Therefore, I thought there was potential for Johnny to run OK if we could isolate the "weak link" in his current environment and improve it - especially since he has mini dv casettes as his source. However it is also possible that my short projects which also involved only a few tracks saved me from potential crashes ......

2 -- Question of video card
Separate from the disk configuration and temporarily assuming that the disk configuration is not the primary bottleneck )
What do you think ? Is adding a video card a good choice given that according to the config in Johnny's post there is no discrete video card ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I would recommend cleaning up the drive a bit, making a little more room might help.
Also, be sure to defragment the drive; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyeNxlaKwas
Also be sure to check out Steve's Vista optimization article.

How much footage do you normally import/capture into a project? You are usually best off working on 15 - 20 minute mini projects and then combining 2 or 3 projects together in the end for burning to DVD.

The types of effects can also have an effect on the overall project performance and crashes, what types of effects and transitions do you normally use? Have you tried creating a 10 - 15 minute test project that has no effects or transitions and minimal editing? Sometimes that is a good way to find out what may be causing the problems.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Others here are very happy with running version 7 and have few problems if any. I would be interested in hearing what version of Windows they are using.

Home Premium 64-bit, Chuck.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:31 am

I have used Premiere Elements 7 with no problems on Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I also have Production Premium CS5 on Windows 7 Professional 4-bit and have no problems with any of the suite programs.

I doubt the addition of a 1GB graphics card will improve things and it may make it worse as the on-board graphics memory will be memory mapped over the RAM in a 32-bit OS -- effectively reducing the amount available. Worse, Premiere Elements 7 will not benefit from the extra graphics card memory.
Bob

Postby Johnny » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I would recommend cleaning up the drive a bit, making a little more room might help.
Also, be sure to defragment the drive; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyeNxlaKwas
Also be sure to check out Steve's Vista optimization article.

How much footage do you normally import/capture into a project? You are usually best off working on 15 - 20 minute mini projects and then combining 2 or 3 projects together in the end for burning to DVD.

The types of effects can also have an effect on the overall project performance and crashes, what types of effects and transitions do you normally use? Have you tried creating a 10 - 15 minute test project that has no effects or transitions and minimal editing? Sometimes that is a good way to find out what may be causing the problems.

Chuck,

Thank you for your response.

I do try to free up space on the hard drive a bit and defragment the drive regularly.

I don't think that I use any effects other than regular transitions in the projects I create. The one thing that I haven't tried to do is what you suggested, working on mini projects and then combining them after I'm done. What I've been doing is working with around one to two hours of video footage on the projects.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Johnny » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Bob wrote:I have used Premiere Elements 7 with no problems on Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I also have Production Premium CS5 on Windows 7 Professional 4-bit and have no problems with any of the suite programs.

I doubt the addition of a 1GB graphics card will improve things and it may make it worse as the on-board graphics memory will be memory mapped over the RAM in a 32-bit OS -- effectively reducing the amount available. Worse, Premiere Elements 7 will not benefit from the extra graphics card memory.

Bob,

Thank you for your response, especially about the graphics card.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Johnny wrote:Since I've been using Premiere Elements 7, I've regularly had the program freeze or shut down. I've re-opened it after a while, and then the same thing would happen at different times, with various projects.?

All my PRE7 creations are high-def, and I had the same problem, despite implementing all of Steve's tips regarding the settings for XP 32-bit with 4GB of RAM.

My solution was to upgrade to the machine in my signature. I haven't had even one single crash since.

My experience is that Win7 with that i7 CPU and PRE7 is, so to speak, a "marriage of the 7s and made in heaven."

(As a test, I've placed as many as 498 HD--2288x1520--slides in a slide show that I began with the Organizer, "sent" to PRE7, and then proceeded to edit on the PRE7 timeline without so much as a hiccup.)
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7