They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD to DVD Best Method

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: AVCHD to DVD Best Method

Postby boogieted » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:42 am

Bob, I will give Image Mixer a try. If it ends up being more trouble than it's worth I'll just have to go back to using my Canon HV20 DV camcorder.
boogieted

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 am

You might be able to determine which HD to SD workflow produces the best video using a test chart.

http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html

I used the 1920x1080 chart and went from AVCHD --> DV --> DVD and compared that to going from AVCHD --> DVD. The AVCHD --> DVD workflow produced the better results, IMO.

In the first case I used the 1920x1080 AVCHD project preset and shared to a DV-AVI widescreen video. I then used the DV-AVI video in a DV-Widescreen project preset and shared to a DVD-widescreen disc.

In the second case I just used the 1920x1080 AVCHD project preset and shared directly to DVD-widescreen disc.

EDIT: I should add that I did this with Premiere Elements 10.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby boogieted » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 am

As a follow-up... I used Steve's suggestion of exporting my AVCHD video to an AVI file (took 3 hours for 38 mins of video!) The resulting video quality leaves a little to be desired (very slight blur), but I can still use it and chalk it up to experience. Until I can obtain better computers for my students, we are reverting back to DV tape and SD video.

P.S. Bob, I was unable to discover how to convert my videos with Image Mixer 3.5. All my clips were listed in the library, but I found no commands for converting. Maybe my version of Image Mixer doesn't have that feature(?)
boogieted

Postby Simon Silverstein » Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 pm

From what I've seen, the best quality would be getting Premiere Elements 10 and putting AVCHD directly onto DVD.
Simon Silverstein

Previous

Return to PRE Version 7