They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ken Burns effect and transitions

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Ken Burns effect and transitions

Postby TimWIlmath » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:08 am

I apply the Ken Burns effect to photos in my project. After I do that, I drop a cross-fade transition between photos. However, after I drop the transition, I've noticed that there is a split-second where the photo is sort of "freeze-frame". It's during the transition and noticably visible to me. I can fix it by adjusting the markers in the key frame window. That way the transition is much smoother with constant motion of both photos.

I have lots of photos in my projects and this fine-tuning of moving the markers is time consuming. Does anyone know of a way to avoid adjusting the markers, but still allow a very smooth transition where there is constant motion? I created a short YouTube video showing the steps I go through (no audio - sorry).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJB9kKy4GJo

Thanks for any suggestions - Tim
TimWIlmath

Re: Ken Burns effect and transitions

Postby Chris B » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:22 am

When you apply the orignal movement you don't have to stick to keyframe locations within the clip. Transition extend the clip by half of their overall length. Therefore (if you transition is 20 frames long) you can set your start your movement 10 frames before the start of the photo. This can be done before applying a transition so you won't have to go back and fiddle later.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Ken Burns effect and transitions

Postby momoffduty » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:49 pm

After applying the transitions go to the properties panel for each photo and move the first keyframes to the left to start during the transition and move the ending keyframes to the right to continue moving while the next slide starts. If you have more than one keyframe, scale & position for example, lasso both and move. This is a pain to do for each slide, but the overall look is well worth it.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 7