They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Keeping HD with non-HD clips?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Keeping HD with non-HD clips?

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Could you direct me please to the resource that explains the settings to adjust on non-HD audio or stills or video, when they're added to HD, so the HD isn't lost? Sorry for the long explanation, there's probably a simpler way to say that. :)

EDIT: Adding question: Is there a way to page or tab through the properties of each clip? I want to check a setting on each. I can use the mouse to click onto each clip and if properties are open, I see each clip's properties, but is there a way to tab or page? Keyboard shortcut? Rather than using the mouse-click?
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Keeping HD with non-HD clips?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:44 pm

As I said in the other thread, Chancy, I'm not aware of a thread like this. In fact, I always recommend against mixing HD and standard video in the same project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:As I said in the other thread, Chancy, I'm not aware of a thread like this. In fact, I always recommend against mixing HD and standard video in the same project.

Oh dear... then what did I read... I know I read *something*... These are mp3 audio clips that I assume are not HD-compliant? Or are they? But I know I read some-thing... Have to think...

EDIT: Is it the field dominance setting?
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 am

Mp3s are audio clips, so you can use them in any project, Chancy. (Although WAVs make better audio files for Premiere Elements.)

And, yes, field dominance is ONE of the issues that can cause problems when you mix video formats.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:51 am

Good to know about mp3... What do I do to field dominance (on which clips) if I have added non HD-compliant file types? For example other video formats or photos that are not 1920x1080? I will go out of my way to avoid these problems but I do mix file formats sometimes. Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:04 am

Well, if you add non-1920x1080 videos to a 1920x1080 project, they're going to need to be conformed and possibly re-interpreted. That could make them appear distorted -- or, if they are 720x480, it could make them appear fuzzy and over-rezzed.

As for field dominance, if you've got conflicting interlacing in your video, it's going to look fluttery when you output it. So check the properties of each type of video you add to your project with a program like G Spot or Media Info and, if necessary, reverse the field dominance so that it doesn't conflict with the way your project is set up.

Or better yet, convert all of your video to the same format before you combine it in a single project, as I recommended in my tutorial a few months back. It can save you a lot of headaches later!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7