They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio out of sync in master project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Audio out of sync in master project

Postby peggig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:36 pm

I just finished my latest video project, which is an hour and 25 minutes long. The video was captured from a Canon HV40 using HDVSplit, and imported into multiple subprojects (about 30 of them). I exported each of the subprojects as MPEG2 files, and then imported them into the master project. There are no audio tracks from any sources other than the camcorder.

I finished the project the day before yesterday, and burned it to a DVD. After watching the DVD, I found a few things I needed to tweak. I added a couple of dissolve transitions in the master file, moved three of the scene markers by a couple of frames, and made two minor changes in subprojects, which I then exported to MPEG2 files and re-imported into the master file.

As I was reviewing the files I had re-imported, I noticed that the audio was out of sync with the video by about 5 frames. I reviewed the newly created MPEGs on my hard disk, and they were fine. When you import a new file to PRE7 with the same name as a previously imported file, PRE7 does not index and conform the new file. (Apparently, it goes by the filename, and assumes it's the same file.) So I deleted the new files from the master project, renamed the MPEGs, and re-imported them. It indexed and conformed the new MPEGs but, when I played them in the timeline, the audio was still out of sync. I defragmented the disk, rebooted, and tried again, with the same results. Then I tried reviewing some of the other MPEGs in the project and found the audio to be out of sync throughout the project!

I checked the DVD I had burned two days ago, and the audio is in sync in the DVD. So the sync issue in the master project occurred after burning the DVD.

The tweaks I made to the project after burning the DVD were pretty minor, so I could just use the DVD I already burned to make copies, and forget about the minor tweaks. But I've committed to break it out into 12 episodes and upload them to YouTube. So, unless I can fix the sync problem, all of the YouTube episodes will have the audio out of sync.

I'm burning a new DVD now in the hopes that the sync problem is an anomoly in the editor and won't show up in the DVD, but I think that's probably a vain hope. The next thing I plan to try is unlinking the audio track from the video track in each individual clip in the master project and moving the audio tracks by five frames to sync them up with the video tracks. This does not seem like a good solution, as it doesn't address the underlying problem, and might actually make things worse. But I don't know what else to do.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this? Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might fix it? About half of the video is interviews, so it's very noticeable that the sound doesn't sync up with the moving lips.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Audio out of sync in master project

Postby peggig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:18 pm

OK, the DVD seems to have come out OK, without the sync issues that I'm still seeing in the editor. I don't know why that is but, as long as the DVD plays OK, I'm happy.

I have an unrelated question. I noticed that I cannot export my 85 minute video to DVD at the highest quality setting. If I uncheck the "Fit to Disk" checkbox, and slide the quality slider to the right (for higher quality), it says there's insufficient space at about 80% of the way to the highest quality setting. Commercially produced DVDs can fit a full two-hour movie with extras on one DVD, without sacrificing quality. I assume that's because they use more efficient codecs. Does anybody know if the DVD codec in Premiere Pro can encode longer videos at a higher quality than the codec in PRE7?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Commecial DVDs are double layer - about twice as much storage space. However, you may not see much loss of quality at 85 minutes. It kind of depends on the subject matter, such as how much motion is involved, and how discerning your eye is. I can personally go about 75 or 80 minutes without problem and I know some folks who say they can put over 90 minutes on a single layer disc and be satisfied.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks, Dave. The content on the DVD certainly doesn't look as good as it does in the MPEG2 files, but that's undoubtedly because the DVD isn't high definition. I don't know if the degradation from full quality to the approximately 80% quality that will fit on the DVD is noticeable or not. I guess the only way to test it would be to delete part of the video and export a DVD with the remainding video at full quality to compare. But, since I have no use for a DVD with only part of the video on it, it's moot.

Do you know if double layer blank discs are available? If so, can Premiere Elements take advantage of the double layers to fit more video on the disk at higher quality?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:08 pm

The test you describe would be exactly one way to make that comparison. Just be sure that you have copies of your project saved so that you don't accidently permanently delete half of it! Yes, you can purchase double layer 8.5 GB DVDs for this purpose. PrEl 7 supports the +R discs, but they're significantly more expensive and your burner has to be able to handle double layer discs.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/ ... ia-20-pack

EDIT: You might find this info useful. Note that they say up to 2 hours of "high quality" SD video on a single layer disc. I don't quite buy into the high quality part, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereEle ... 97B2A.html
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks, Dave. So that's what +R means! -- I always wondered what the difference was between +R and -R DVDs.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7