They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Why can't I find what's wrong with failed processing?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Why can't I find what's wrong with failed processing?

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I've processed a video 5 times and it always goes only to 2:20 (out of 7 something).
I checked a dozen ways to Sunday to confirm no missing frames, no extra tracks, etc.
It's processing #6 try right now, and all I've done differently is to go to the end point (2:20), and delete the title slide that it appeared to stop on, and the one that comes shortly after, and re-create them. Then I dragged the video clip this break occurred in, to another track, and re-processed it, then dragged it back. Everything again appears okay.

I'm not worried about the settings I chose, they are the same ones I use for all my videos and in fact had processed 2 other videos out of this material and they were fine.

The end format is .mp4, which I can't play on my computer. (DivX used to work but for some reason doesn't any more.) The only way I've been able to tell something is wrong is to view it after I've uploaded it. Of course I realize that I might have been able to tell by the fact that the video didn't take as long as it should to process, or to upload to the site, but I only figured that out in hindsight. In fact right now I'm still not sure I've fixed it because while it does appear to be taking a good chunk more time to process, I'm rather suspicious that it should be taking a lot longer. Now I have to wait at least 2.5 hours to know for sure.

Is there something technical I could do to pin down a problem like this, to save myself a lot of agony and time? If one part of the fix is to delete the entire clip where the break appears to happen, and create it, is there a trick to pinning down where the start/end points are? I have about 60 clips from this video and have always been confused about how I could know where in the full video length one particular clip comes. E.g., this problem clip might start at 3:30 through 4:15. How does one figure that out?

[EDIT: Ok it did fail again. The file size is the same ... I am going to try to upload it anyway just to see what happens but would appreciate another suggestion for debugging this file.]
Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why can't I find what's wrong with failed processing?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:06 am

Not quite sure what you're asking, Chancy.

What type of camcorder did your original footage come from and how did you get it into your computer? Which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?\

If you are using photos in your projects, have you ensured that they are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

What are you trying to accomplish? Why did you output an MP4 if you can't play it on your computer? (BTW, you SHOULD be able to play an MP4 if you have the latest version of Quicktime installed -- which is necessary in order to run many components of Premiere Elements anyway.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:59 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Not quite sure what you're asking, Chancy.

What type of camcorder did your original footage come from and how did you get it into your computer? Which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?\

If you are using photos in your projects, have you ensured that they are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

What are you trying to accomplish? Why did you output an MP4 if you can't play it on your computer? (BTW, you SHOULD be able to play an MP4 if you have the latest version of Quicktime installed -- which is necessary in order to run many components of Premiere Elements anyway.)

Ahh, sorry I'm not clear. The video processes, apparently correctly, but when I play it, it stops at 2:20 instead of going through the end. So something is failing to continue processing at 2:20. There is no photograph at that point but yes I do have 1-2 photos in the video, and I set them at 1920 x 1080, the video size - was this wrong? I have done this in other videos and didn't have a problem.

I bypassed all the technical elements you ask about because I've already succeeded in processing dozens of videos with no problem, which tells me the problem has to be inside this one, in some frame that is compromised in some way, but why can't I find it before engaging in the processing? (Is that the compiling?)

The camera is a Sony, I downloaded it along with other clips that are all nicely working in other videos, via the import function of the Sony software. I put the clips into PE via the PE get clips function. Unfortunately I've been using the same settings for over a year now and don't know them by heart (and am at work where I can't review them), but if you can ignore this part, really, the problem isn't with the settings because they've worked just fine forever. The problem is inside this one, in some corrupted frame, or something like that. When there is such a problem, isn't there a way to definitively find it before beginning processing?

Thanks for pushing me for the details and I don't mean to be an obstacle to the answer.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am

Regarding DivX and Quicktime, Quicktime won't play it either, and I do have that updated.
Possibly because the original file format is .m2t, and I manually change that to .mp4, which is what will upload and play properly on SmugMug. You guys were the geniuses that taught me that trick.
:yh:
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Actually changing the suffix from .m2t to .mp4 only works when the video is actually an mp4. Otherwise, it just confuses programs -- which could be part of the problem you're having playing it!

Meantime, I'll need to know more about your camcorder than that it's a Sony makes hundreds of different camcorders and cameras shooting dozens of different formats.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Actually changing the suffix from .m2t to .mp4 only works when the video is actually an mp4. Otherwise, it just confuses programs -- which could be part of the problem you're having playing it!

Meantime, I'll need to know more about your camcorder than that it's a Sony makes hundreds of different camcorders and cameras shooting dozens of different formats.

Yes, I'm not so concerned about not being able to view the videos, although why DivX stopped working has always confused me. My main concern at the moment is to find out what's causing the video to stop processing at 2:20.

What I have:
Sony HDR UX 10, AVCHD, 1920x1080. The settings as best I can glean - these are what I could find and I'm not sure which are relevant:
HD 1080i editing mode
Video frame size 1920 x 1080
29.97 frames/sec
pixel aspect ratio: square pixels 1.0
fields: upper field first
24p conversion method: interlaced frame 2:3:3:2
desktop display mode: standard
video rendering: max bit depth is turned off
preview file format: I-frame only MPEG-2
Compressor: 1Frame only MPEG
Optimize stills is on

Here's why I think none of the settings matter:
I had two very long clips in one file, and I worked on the first one for some time, completing a video. I then saved the file into a new name, with the intention of using some of the titles etc. with the 2nd, as yet unedited clip. Then I closed that newly saved/renamed file and re-opened the first file, and deleted that 2nd clip, leaving me with only the first and its associated edits. I then made a successful video with no problem. Now the 2nd video has everything the 1st had, minus the first clip. So something in the clip as I've cut it up and added stuff, is where the problem is.

thanksssssss.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

These things are all related, Chancy. One problem could be an indicator of why something else is going wrong.

That said, I'm really very confused about what's going on. I'm sorry. There's just so much information that I can't figure out what's what. But here's what I do know:

1) Your camcorder shoots in a couple of different formats. If you plan to edit in Premiere Elements, make sure you're shooting in HQ or HQ+ format. This will produce a 1920x1080 AVCHD video.
2) Open a Premiere Elements project with the settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 5.1 audio.
3) Use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk camcorder to download the video from the camcorder into your project.

Version 7 is not terribly efficient with AVCHD (at least not compared to version 10), but if you've got a good, strong quad core computer, you should be able to edit it. (Even if you've got a dual-core computer, you should be able to do some basic editing of AVCHD.)

I'm not sure what you ultimately intend to output this video as (DVD, BluRay, online video for YouTube, etc.). But there are a number of Share options in version 7. Assuming your hard drive is clean, tuned, defragmented and includes adequate free space, you should have no problems outputting any of a number of formats.

Don't change any file suffixes or convert any files before you bring them into Premiere Elements. Just try working with everything as it's designed to be used and you should get good results. The workarounds you're trying may actually be working against you.

And, if this doesn't work, please give us more information about your computer: Your processor speed and RAM, how much free space is on your hard drive(s), if you are editing on more than one drive, what operating system you're using, etc.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 am

Steve, again I must not be explaining correctly. I only have a dual computer with 3 GB of RAM, and right now only 30 GB of free space, which I routinely improve to up to 60 while editing, but even with 30, I've been editing with these file types for over two years now, same camcorder, same file formats, same methods for importing, and even the same preset, because what I do is pull up the last one I used to make a video, and use that one - just get the new clips into it, remove the old ones that I don't want, keep the title slides I need, and proceed from there. Plus, same computer, same available RAM, disk space, etc. Would you agree since these variables have not changed in over 2 years, they cannot be the source of the problem?

If I come back to the only thing I know to describe, I successfully processed a video using the same file format output settings as all successful videos before it. I'm using the same preset that I just used 24 hours prior to successfully make a video that in fact this clip had been a part of, along with one other clip, during editing. When i was done editing that first video, including all the title slides, I saved it, and then saved it again under a new name (this is the version with both clips). Then I re-opened the original one that had the two clips, and deleted the 2nd clip. Then I processed that video (it had only one clip then along with the title slides) successfully. Then I re-opened the 2nd file which started out with both clips. I deleted the first clip, leaving me with only the 2nd and all the title slides I still wanted to work with. i edited the 2nd clip, added some new title slides and a couple of photos. Processed it, and - WHAM, while it appears to process correctly (took about 1.5 hours to process, which did not seem like a long enough time given what I know about my computer), it plays the video perfectly until 2:20, when it just ends at that point.

Doesn't this mean there is something corrupted in the clips inside the pre-set? All I know to do to confirm that there are no problems, is to enlarge the timeline as large as it will get, and then page down and up back and forth through the entire video, looking to make sure there are no blank spaces between clips, and no additional clips hiding someplace I didn't intend. Then I make sure there are no extraneous frames or clips outside the end of the video. Then I make sure to delete blank tracks. Then I process it - what's it called? Enter = runs it through the first round of processing. Then I Ctrl-A the entire set, group them, save the file again, and then proceed to share, where, again, I'm using the same output settings as every other successful video I've made. Is this all I can do to insure that none of the clips are corrupted? Is there anything else I can do? The only other thing I can think of is that I should go to the clip where 2:20 occurs, and delete it entirely. Then drag the video file from the organizer back onto the timeline, search for the section that I have to isolate, and re-insert it. Would that possibly make a clean clip?

Forgive me if we are two ships passing in the night, I may not be technically proficient enough to grasp what you are trying to convey.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kitwn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 am

A solution which makes burning DVDs more reliable may help here as well. First export the entire project as an AVI file and save it on your hard drive. Then create a new project with the required startup settings and with that AVI as the only file on the timeline. Use that as your source for uploading.

Good luck

Kit
Moderation in all things. Including moderation itself.
Kitwn

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 am

I'm sorry, Chancy. I've done my best to explain things. Either I'm not getting what you're saying or you're not getting what I'm saying.

But I really need to know what your results are when you use my step by step advice or I can't help you. (Although 30 gigs of free space isn't even remotely enough space to work with hi-def video in.)

Maybe someone else will be able to make it clearer.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm sorry, Chancy. I've done my best to explain things. Either I'm not getting what you're saying or you're not getting what I'm saying.

But I really need to know what your results are when you use my step by step advice or I can't help you. (Although 30 gigs of free space isn't even remotely enough space to work with hi-def video in.)

Maybe someone else will be able to make it clearer.

What have I not answered, Steve, I'm sorry if I missed something.
From your earlier post:
Yes, this is what I shoot:
1) Your camcorder shoots in a couple of different formats. If you plan to edit in Premiere Elements, make sure you're shooting in HQ or HQ+ format. This will produce a 1920x1080 AVCHD video.

Yes, been doing this for over 2 years:
2) Open a Premiere Elements project with the settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 5.1 audio.

Sorry, have been using the Sony s/w which has caused no problems in the full history of my use of it:
3) Use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk camcorder to download the video from the camcorder into your project.

As I mentioned, I have a dual, with 3 GB RAM, but for the videos I edit, which are never longer than 10 minutes, it's functional:
Version 7 is not terribly efficient with AVCHD (at least not compared to version 10), but if you've got a good, strong quad core computer, you should be able to edit it. (Even if you've got a dual-core computer, you should be able to do some basic editing of AVCHD.)

Share is MPEG, and then the settings that I mentioned to you (or are there other settings I should report to you, and how do I find them?).
I'm not sure what you ultimately intend to output this video as (DVD, BluRay, online video for YouTube, etc.). But there are a number of Share options in version 7.

Yes, it's clearn, was just defragmented, and if you think 35 GB free space is inadequate, I'll clear it back to 60 (this weekend), but I think I've been able to process with this:
Assuming your hard drive is clean, tuned, defragmented and includes adequate free space, you should have no problems outputting any of a number of formats.

Never have, never will change any suffixes or convert anything. Just at the end, from m2t to mp4, to upload to Smugmug:
Don't change any file suffixes or convert any files before you bring them into Premiere Elements. Just try working with everything as it's designed to be used and you should get good results. The workarounds you're trying may actually be working against you.

Lenovo laptop, 2.75 GHz (struggling from memory here), 3 GB working RAM (4 total - limit is a function of the Lenovo make/model), one drive, XP Professional:
And, if this doesn't work, please give us more information about your computer: Your processor speed and RAM, how much free space is on your hard drive(s), if you are editing on more than one drive, what operating system you're using, etc.

Could you humor this poor soul and tell me what other methods one should use during editing to insure there are no corrupted frames? [-o<
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Chancy, can you please at least do a test run based on my instructions above?

Do not use Sony's software for any of it. Try editing the video directly from the camcorder, getting it from the camcorder and editing it exclusively with Premiere Elements -- set up as I indicated above.

Though it would probably be wise to clear off and defragment more space on that hard drive first.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Chancy, can you please at least do a test run based on my instructions above?

Do not use Sony's software for any of it. Try editing the video directly from the camcorder, getting it from the camcorder and editing it exclusively with Premiere Elements -- set up as I indicated above.

Though it would probably be wise to clear off and defragment more space on that hard drive first.

:TU: :yh: :TU: :yh: :TU: :yh: :TU: :yh:
THANK you SO much. It turned out to be not enough disk space. I cleared to 60 GB and it processed fine. I wasn't able to re-download the video from the camcorder because I had already re-formatted it. However, reliably, it processed.

I have one dangling odd thing to ask about: When I opened the preset for the first time after clearing up disk space, it processed the audio (on something - unclear which clip(s)). Was that "conforming" the audio? Now, I had increased the audio gain on all the clips, and I realized as I saw that conforming process going on, that I had NOT seen that message in all the time i was editing the clips. (I had changed the gain differently in each clip.) So suddenly, while this preset should have been completely ready to process yet again, here was the audio processing. Then this became a slight problem because I think it basically lost the audio gain I had set. I didn't re-check each clip, I just proceeded to process the video. and when I uploaded the video to Smugmug and watched it, I think I saw the audio was poor in spots. I'm debating whether I really have to go back and re-do the audio or can leave it be.

My question is, now I'm editing the next video, with 60 GB free space, and I'm setting the audio gain again, clip by clip, and again I'm not seeing "audio conforming" messages, which I think isn't right. How can I make sure the audio is processing properly? I don't see an option in a drop down menu or right click, to "conform audio".

You were so great to stick with me during my frazzledness. :-D
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 am

When you see the message that a file is being conformed, it is telling you that the file you imported has a different audio sampling rate than the project and it is being converted to match the project. Premiere Elements will automatically detect the mismatch and conform the file. You need to allow the conforming to complete. The conformed version of the file is saved in the media cache folder for the project so it won't have to be recreated next time you open the project. If you delete the media cache files, however, the conformed files will be recreated.
Bob

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am

Bob wrote:When you see the message that a file is being conformed, it is telling you that the file you imported has a different audio sampling rate than the project and it is being converted to match the project. Premiere Elements will automatically detect the mismatch and conform the file. You need to allow the conforming to complete. The conformed version of the file is saved in the media cache folder for the project so it won't have to be recreated next time you open the project. If you delete the media cache files, however, the conformed files will be recreated.

Okay, but why did it conform right at that moment: after I had edited and re-edited the preset over several days, and also processed it to video at least 6 times (to try to fix the failed processing)? Why didn't I see that message at the first edit of the first try?
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 7