They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Extended desktop suggestions for v7 panels

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Extended desktop suggestions for v7 panels

Postby Barb O » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Now that I have my new travel laptop and have installed the Photoshop/Premiere Elements v 7 bundle, I am investigating Extended Desktop for PE 7.

One of the compromises in choosing my new laptop was to pick the 1280x800 resolution on a 15.4 widescreen. Last summer I used that res on a different laptop with Photoshop Elements, so I knew that was doable but not optimal. However, as I expected, Premire Elements is a bit more challenging. So I want to learn about Extended Desktop and how best to use it with Premiere Elements 7.

-- This laptop (Toshiba A305-S6872) runs Vista Home Premium 32 bit, has Intel 4500MHD integrated graphics and a VGA connection.
-- My initial intent is to use my currrent NEC 17'' flat panel 1280x1024 monitor with VGA connection in addition to the laptop screen.
-- So far I have connected this monitor via the VGA and used it in clone mode : however, I can see that the choice to use it for extended desktop is available.

So my questions focus on
-- ideas for deleting/removing panels or areas that I don't need from the screen displayed by Premiere Elements 7 : example probably removing higher numbered audio and video tracks that I do not need for most projects
-- more importantly - suggestions of which panels to split out to the Extended Desktop on the Monitor and how to specify this

I have Steve's v7 book, so you can use references to it. Also since I have never used Extended Desktop, please suggest some references to how to specify extended desktop contents: the manual for the laptop says it can be done but provides no details.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Extended desktop suggestions for v7 panels

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

You're right, Barb. This program does eat up a lot of monitor space. I use it on twin 19" monitors and there's still barely room to work!

It's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer moving the timeline to the bottom half of one monitor, with the Monitor panel, Clip Monitor and Audio Mixer across the top. The rest of the program (which is mostly my Tasks panel, with a small area reserved for my Disc Layout panel) is on the other monitor.

I also turn off the extra audio tracks (under the >> menu) on the timeline, which gives me room for about five video tracks.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:13 pm

I use mine a little differently, the Timeline takes up one whole monitor, everything else on the other :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:30 pm

I have a few more questions after experimenting with Extended Desktop for the first time.

1 -- Because of the 800 height on the laptop, I think I will keep the laptop screen as the primary monitor with the Windows task bar at the bottom and only the Premiere Elements timeline (with unused tracks removed). Then I guess I drag each other panel over to the secondary monitor. Or could I take the entire Premire Elements window over to the secondary and then bring only the Timeline back to the primary????

2 -- And for the secondary screen, I would like to verify -
Is it correct that I should be able to run the secondary monitor at its native resolution using Extended Desktop even though the secondary monitor is a higher resolution and a different aspect ratio (1280x1024 on the LCD monitor versus 1280x800 on the primary laptop screen)???? If yes it should work, then I will continue experimenting because some of my dilemmas are probably due to my lack of experience with the extended desktop function.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Barb O wrote:I have a few more questions after experimenting with Extended Desktop for the first time.

1 -- Or could I take the entire Premire Elements window over to the secondary and then bring only the Timeline back to the primary????

Yes

Barb O wrote:2 Is it correct that I should be able to run the secondary monitor at its native resolution using Extended Desktop even though the secondary monitor is a higher resolution and a different aspect ratio (1280x1024 on the LCD monitor versus 1280x800 on the primary laptop screen)????

Yes
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7